The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #916
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Go and see Stooges!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #917
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post

Its explained a little more but mostly by the way the characters talk andinteract with each other. The normal version Ripley is pretty much main focus. In the extended she almost feels like a normal character, not the lead. More people have screen time, more give you insights on how the place is and why it is. As for the outside, I think the sole purpose of the prison being on that planet was because its a barren place that no one really wants. They have to stay inside because the outside is just not habitable. This would keep prisoners from trying to escape and make a comfortable living out in the wilderness somewhere.

The technology is low because they pretty much are ignored out there. Batteries are the best they get and even then they arent replenished. Weyland spends as little money as possible to keep that place running, which is why they leave the prisoners to fend for themselves, sometimes with incentives to get out of the place if they do as they're told. Hence why one of them tries to backstab the rest of them later on when they learn of the transport on the way down. The writer specifically wanted to try and go back to a Alien vibe where the humans had very little and needed to beat this new hybrid. Trying to go back to a more thriller horror instead of action which Aliens was. Weaver also wanted this direction too so she was a key part to the structure.

I actually cant recall the reasons for why the script was as it was. I know there were a few rewrites, some power struggles. One of first scripts was to be on a space station, russian possibly I cant recall. Similar to how Alien4 was. The next script was meant to be on earth after they crashed, taken in by a monastery and then things go bad there. Something about the budget and locations got slapped and the writers had to quickly change it. So they removed the woods idea and put it in space with a monastery theme that religion of the characters brought in. There was a reason for the british actors too but I cant recall at the moment. I also remember Fincher raging during the movie. Something about everything conspiring against him to finish the film, just a hell of a time. He doesnt look back kindly on the project. I forget exactly all the bits to the story so I wont go into detail in case I miss-word a few things.

If you'd asked me a year ago I would of been able to tell you more about Weyland and their background and even what the symbols meant. But I've forgotten everything lololol. I'm sure its easy to find though on wikipedia or something.

Heres the link for the third film with more info then I could give. I havent actually looked at it yet but I think it will mention Finchers issues in there. At least it should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_3

I know plenty of people dont like the third film and thats cool. For what it was I enjoyed it. I liked it 10 times more then the fourth installment. That just didnt even feel like a proper alien film. I even preferred AvP1 to it. I mean that film even used proper links to the first Alien. Links that the movies didnt actually mention or go into any detail. For that I was really pleased.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #918
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Plus I think hicks was going to be in it at one point but there was funnies over money/contracts so it never happened . Or was it Michael Biehn didn't want to do Alien 3?

I think it might have been the later
Bien was supposed to be the main character and really wanted to do it, but Weaver pitched a fit and got him kicked out of the movie. Yet they had already signed his contract and so he got paid the full fee as if he starred in it even though they only used a single image of him. The movie with Hicks as the protagonist would have been excellent. Also, in the Dark Horse Aliens comics, both characters live, Newt grows up, etc. and those comics are way, way better than the movie (for many reasons).
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #919
javi

But if there is anything we can all agree on is that no one can ever defend the fact that the CGI effects in this movie was unforgivable. You made multiple aliens from the second movie without the magic of CGI aliens, so why did you do it to, not two, not three, not four, but ONE ALIEN?!?!?!??!?!?!??! I don't think I will ever get pass that. I found it offensive as an Alien fan, as well as being insulting to H. R. Giger and special effects.
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #920
javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I actually cant recall the reasons for why the script was as it was. I know there were a few rewrites, some power struggles. One of first scripts was to be on a space station, russian possibly I cant recall. Similar to how Alien4 was. The next script was meant to be on earth after they crashed, taken in by a monastery and then things go bad there. Something about the budget and locations got slapped and the writers had to quickly change it. So they removed the woods idea and put it in space with a monastery theme that religion of the characters brought in. There was a reason for the british actors too but I cant recall at the moment. I also remember Fincher raging during the movie. Something about everything conspiring against him to finish the film, just a hell of a time. He doesnt look back kindly on the project. I forget exactly all the bits to the story so I wont go into detail in case I miss-word a few things.
You brought up something that I wanted to mention yesterday, but forgot in my rants. When the movie was first introduced in its teaser, it clearly stated that Alien 3 was going to be on Earth.

The one problem that me and my parents made mention was that we already knew how the egg was hatched. So why did they use the original egg hatching from the first movie when we already know how the egg opens?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #921
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

There were plans, at one point, to focus the movie around Hicks and Newt if Sigourney Weaver didn't want to come back.

William Gibson (who wrote Neuromancer) actually wrote a script based on that approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I know when I watch it again on Blu-Ray, seeing dead Newt and Hicks will instantly raise my ire again and the movie will never get me back.
I feel the same way actually. I've never heard the story about Weaver pitching a hissy fit. I had just heard they were going to base it around Hicks if Weaver didn't want to do it.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #922
Alucard

Yeah I think those are just rumours. The script changed so many times it couldnt possibly make sense that all of them were done because of Weaver, since they werent. Hicks and Newt dont make Aliens what it is. The Alien is what makes it. Seeing them dead at the beginning was like a glorious emotional slap to the face for me. It had me instantly glued.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #923
javi

Well, if Weaver didn't come back and left the script the way how we saw the movie, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with Alien 3 being an anthology at all.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #924
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Cabin in the woods ending was awesome. I recommend seeing it just for that moment.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #925
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Star Trek 2 villain revealed

Spider, I wanna see that! Don't know if I'll have a chance though. Definitely seeing Avengers this weekend at least.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #926
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

That's some boner inducing news right there.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #927
spider-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Star Trek 2 villain revealed

Spider, I wanna see that! Don't know if I'll have a chance though. Definitely seeing Avengers this weekend at least.

I was thinking it was going to be lame and stupid, but I like to give horror movies a chance, glad I did, it was a pretty fun movie to watch. Much like Insidious is too.

The ending should have you geek out. Everyone in the theater was like OHHHHHHHHHH MANNNNNNNNNNNN! and cheering to boot.

But I noticed that they didn't really get what was going on in the movie too, what it was trying to say it was. I won't say what I mean tho if you don't want it to be ruined.

It was a pretty epic ending.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #928
Alucard

How could they not get what was going on? Movie was straight forward simple to follow.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #929
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Quote:
Its explained a little more but mostly by the way the characters talk andinteract with each other. The normal version Ripley is pretty much main focus. In the extended she almost feels like a normal character, not the lead. More people have screen time, more give you insights on how the place is and why it is. As for the outside, I think the sole purpose of the prison being on that planet was because its a barren place that no one really wants. They have to stay inside because the outside is just not habitable. This would keep prisoners from trying to escape and make a comfortable living out in the wilderness somewhere.

The technology is low because they pretty much are ignored out there. Batteries are the best they get and even then they arent replenished. Weyland spends as little money as possible to keep that place running, which is why they leave the prisoners to fend for themselves, sometimes with incentives to get out of the place if they do as they're told. Hence why one of them tries to backstab the rest of them later on when they learn of the transport on the way down. The writer specifically wanted to try and go back to a Alien vibe where the humans had very little and needed to beat this new hybrid. Trying to go back to a more thriller horror instead of action which Aliens was. Weaver also wanted this direction too so she was a key part to the structure.

If you'd asked me a year ago I would of been able to tell you more about Weyland and their background and even what the symbols meant. But I've forgotten everything lololol. I'm sure its easy to find though on wikipedia or something.

Heres the link for the third film with more info then I could give. I havent actually looked at it yet but I think it will mention Finchers issues in there. At least it should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_3

I know plenty of people dont like the third film and thats cool. For what it was I enjoyed it. I liked it 10 times more then the fourth installment. That just didnt even feel like a proper alien film. I even preferred AvP1 to it. I mean that film even used proper links to the first Alien. Links that the movies didnt actually mention or go into any detail. For that I was really pleased.
you are really mixing up your facts, it was supposed to be on a giant sattelite that was retrofitted to become a monestary that supported a thin atmosphere and they would work on cornfileds supplied by artificial rain,

I think it would have been a great idea, bring back heresy, challenges to faith, capital punishment, demons and reexamination of catolicism and manichean ideas.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #930
spider-prime

Quote:
How could they not get what was going on? Movie was straight forward simple to follow.
It's called they were dumb I had people tell me that the 3 stooges was confusing...........