The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #5791
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
nice, I spent more on the CPU this time around then the GPU, I only got a GeForce 960, which runs everything quite nicely at max settings for most games. So I can't complain.

I just want a gsync monitor! I MUSTS HAVES ITTTTTTTT! But, gah, Canadian prices plus taxes make it not worth the price.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #5792
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Seriously DS your PC was obsolete like a decade ago. I have 64GB of RAM and I'm not bullshiting you. And guess what??? My PC has been obsolete for 4 years and 13 minutes.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #5793
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Shit, if I paid Mac prices too, I'd have way more than 16GB. The upgrade alone to 64GB (of low bandwidth DDR3 RAM) costs more than my entire build!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:43 AM   #5794
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
One day, I wish to have mac pro money too.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #5795
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I wish I could build a PC with Mac Pro money. Good god damn that'd be a beast.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 04-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #5796
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I didn't get the upgrade from Apple I bought the RAM later from 3rd party. I know DDR3 is slow but I don't really see how that makes any difference. Netscape Navigator runs just as fast either way! It may take a nanosecond longer to like a cat picture on Facebook but I'm OK with that. Also you can't really build a beast of a computer no matter how much money you have. You're still limited to your Nvidias and your AMDs and all of that kind of consumer crap.

Quote:
One day, I wish to have mac pro money too.
You do. Manage your money better. PC users love to hate on Mac. What's up with that. Did Macs rape your moms or something?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #5797
spider-prime

They did, 8 mac pros just busted in and tied me up and made me watch while Tim Cook watched.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #5798
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
PC users love to hate on Mac. What's up with that. Did Macs rape your moms or something?
Hate is a strong word. We just like making fun of them because for the cost of a Mac, you can build a PC with equal or better components for up to half the cost AND it's actually up-gradable in the future.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 04-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #5799
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yeah, but how often do you upgrade before it's an entirely new computer? My 2006 Mac Pro lasted until 2014 with only RAM and video card upgraded. I bet there are a lot of PC users who spent more on their hardware over that same time.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:19 AM   #5800
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Yeah, but how often do you upgrade before it's an entirely new computer?
Hah....I've upgraded A LOT more than just my RAM and GPU in my 7 year old PC. Coolers, cases, PCI-E cards, 4 GPUs.....I could go on and on....

Hell, even this new PC I'm building is using a lot of supplementary parts since I don't need to update things like the case, the PSU or the cooler...all that old stuff is still very viable for today's modern main components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
I bet there are a lot of PC users who spent more on their hardware over that same time.
Well yeah, there's a much larger market for PC components than Mac components. So not really a big surprise that there are a lot of people who wanted those components and spent more.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 AM   #5801
spider-prime

I keep my PCs till current games run like complete shit. At most upgrade GPU and maybe some ram.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:23 AM   #5802
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS
Well yeah, there's a much larger market for PC components than Mac components. So not really a big surprise that there are a lot of people who wanted those components and spent more.
So then you concede that there's really no point to this discussion unless we're talking about games. I don't use my Mac to game (blech). I use it for productivity. Specifically Final Cut Pro, Motion and Compressor (which makes the best encodes for Blu-ray). Works great for me. Lasts a long time. I also could upgrade the CPU if I had wanted to. I did have one PCIe card for capture but didn't need any others.

Anyway who gives a shit how anyone else spends their money? Don't like it? Don't buy it! Pretty simple. But don't malign others for spending money the way they want to. If we all went by that PC user's rationale we'd all own either Priuses or SUVs and nobody would be allowed to get "sports" cars. Because, you know, the speed limit is the same no matter what car you drive and you use it to get from point A to point B. It doesn't matter if you enjoy driving the sports car more than a Prius. It's more expensive, LOL, look at the dumb person who spent all that money on a car with only TWO seats! Let us join together in ridicule!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #5803
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

PEE CEES are gay.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #5804
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
So then you concede that there's really no point to this discussion unless we're talking about games.
LOL No...that wasn't what I said at all. Like, not even in the slightest. I didn't even mention gaming in my last post. People upgrade their PCs for more reasons than gaming. Everyone knows that. Sometimes they just want their machine quieter, or faster, additional functionality, or to have more storage.

And a Mac isn't a sports cars, darling. Like I said, you can get the equivalent for less by buying PC parts. Hell, you can even build a PC, PUT OSX ON IT, for less than buying from Apple.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 04-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #5805
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Perhaps a better comparison would be Honda Civics vs dedicated sports cars. Honda Civics can be riced up. You can put any spoiler you want on it from many different vendors But a dedicated sports car comes with only one spoiler and costs crazy more. You can't change it. So we should all get Honda Civics, right? (I am a Honda Civic owner BTW)

I'll concede the current Mac Pro is a joke. But the previous entries were awesome. Next year's model will be awesome since they're returning to the modular design. My current Mac Pro will just have to last until then... which it will. I may update the internal SSD in the meantime, but so far I seem to be OK.

As for Hackintoshes my GF had one and they are a huge friggin' headache and they can be kind of unreliable. It also requires that you already own Mac hardware in order to get OSX. You know what's less of a headache? Running Windows on a Mac either virtually or with dual boot. I like the Virtual method because I can have both OS's running at once and drag and drop files between them.

Anyway back to the original thought... I'm all for faster RAM, but what limitations am I seeing with the super slow DDR3?