The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #4081
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 16,529
There are few Japanese artists like Tony Taka that sell lots of fan art books in Japan from loads of different series I doubt they get the rights either and there fairly famous. I think it's more of a grey area hardly anyone chases up.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #4082
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,639
If he draws them he can sell them. Japan can fuck off if they have issues with it. The rest of the world works this way. Not even Marvel or DC cry if someone draws Batman or Iron Man and sells them.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #4083
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!
 
stroopwafel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,325
Really enjoyed the demo of Sniper elite. Sniping is espescially cool in slow-mo x-ray carnage :p




stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #4084
javi
Registered User
 
javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
If he draws them he can sell them. Japan can fuck off if they have issues with it. The rest of the world works this way. Not even Marvel or DC cry if someone draws Batman or Iron Man and sells them.
I agree. Doesn't it also fall into the same category in fair use?
__________________
Current Anime Watching: Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Tenchi Muyo GXP
Current Manga Reading: Bleach, Trigun Maximum, Sailor Moon
Current Games Playing:Borderlands 2, Infamous 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, Zombi U
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #4085
Nem
Smash bro!
 
Nem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: EU
Posts: 7,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
If he draws them he can sell them. Japan can fuck off if they have issues with it. The rest of the world works this way. Not even Marvel or DC cry if someone draws Batman or Iron Man and sells them.
That cant be legal though, thats all im saying. The characters are copyrighted property of certain companies so he is selling their image/design without them seeing any of the money. So if fact he is making money at their expense.
__________________
"Only those with narrow minds fail to see that the definition of Impossible is "Lack of imagination and incentive"" - DUNE:BJ
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #4086
javi
Registered User
 
javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,231
I see your point, but come on. My sister has drawn pictures of Spider-man and Elizabeth Taylor and sold so many of her pictures, and no one from Hollywood or Marvel filed a single complaint. That, and I bet you anything that those who live in Japan also does the same thing to, let's just say Neon Genesis as an example, and has no deal from Gainax or from the artist. I just don't see the harm behind it.
__________________
Current Anime Watching: Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Tenchi Muyo GXP
Current Manga Reading: Bleach, Trigun Maximum, Sailor Moon
Current Games Playing:Borderlands 2, Infamous 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, Zombi U
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #4087
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 16,529
I can tell you for a fact that Urushihara Satoshi has done fan art of NGE and has sold it and there slighty on the risque side. No one really cares I don't think.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #4088
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
That cant be legal though, thats all im saying. The characters are copyrighted property of certain companies so he is selling their image/design without them seeing any of the money. So if fact he is making money at their expense.
Thats cool. But there are some well known websites around that sell comic art drawn by official artists from marvel/DC, and also freelance artists. No issues with them. Its 100% legal and encouraged.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #4089
Joe Redifer
Olé!
 
Joe Redifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 19,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
If he draws them he can sell them.
Agreed. Now if he was trying to sell it as official art or drew a comic (for example) and tried to sell it as a new issue in the series then that wouldn't be too wise. But this is clearly fan art of whatever the characters are so no big deal.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #4090
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!
 
Einhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Mysterious Far East
Posts: 6,492
I bought some batteries on sale. The Wii just seems to chew through them like candy.
__________________
Paper exe - PS3 is a great console with many good games and good features.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #4091
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 16,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I bought some batteries on sale. The Wii just seems to chew through them like candy.
Rechargeable battries is the way to go with the Wii because it really does eat them for breakfast.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #4092
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,639
Sanyo Eneloop batteries are the best rechargeable ones.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #4093
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.
 
Drunken Savior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,634
^Truth. Sanyo's are excellent rechargables. I have a ton of AA and AAA of them all over. If you are looking for a good charger, skip the package deals (batters with a charger) and get this one: http://amzn.com/B000RSOV50
It's a little pricy, but it got enough functions to extend the life of your rechargeables and keep them working.




Steam Sale Victim right here. Less than $10 for both of these games. Already provided over 10 hours of entertainment this weekend.
__________________

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #4094
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!
 
Einhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Mysterious Far East
Posts: 6,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
Rechargeable battries is the way to go with the Wii because it really does eat them for breakfast.
Yeah, I noticed that. Luckily I should have enough to finish the game now. I really wish they had given this game GC controller support.
__________________
Paper exe - PS3 is a great console with many good games and good features.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #4095
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 16,529
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.