The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 12-28-2002, 02:30 AM   #1
blueskied

Wrap me in swiss cheese and call me a bologna sandwich--I bought an xbox!!!!!!

Sorry for the goofy title, I just thought it sounded pretty funny.

But yeah, I ordered an xbox today! It'll be delivered tomorrow or the day after. I couldn't resist, they were selling DOA3 brand NEW for $14. fourteen bucks!! How could I pass that up. So I bought the system with the DVD kit, and DOA3 for a little over $200. It'll be strange to have this huge black box sitting next to my Spice Orange Gamecube and my little Dreamcast. But I owned a 3DO before, so I'm used to big black front-loading-disc game systems.

Yes folks, I finally caved in. After months of mulling over this, I am now an Xbox owner. Today I also preordered DOAX volleyball (looks like fun), Galaxy Angel, and Tenerreza--all due to be released here in Japan between Jan 23-30. Those are three games I really want, and I can't get them on any other system. I might get Shin Megami Tensei Nine as well, but after I finish all these upcoming games! There's nothing I want on the GC until MP comes out here on Feb 28th, and after that the next game I want is FF:CC, but that won't be out to April/May. I don't like the PS2. My dreamcast has better graphics than that thing.

I didn't buy PD Orta. I don't know, I've seen it running and I wasn't all that impressed. I may buy it, but I know I'll beat it in a day or two and then it'll sit on the shelf so maybe I'll just save myself the $50.

Anyway, I'm now the only person in my Japanese town with an Xbox.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 02:37 AM   #2
Alucard

Thumbs down

If you dont buy ORTA you are hereby FORCED to sell your Dreamcast! You are UNWORTHY of it! Thumbs down, blue-dude!!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:41 AM   #3
blueskied

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
If you dont buy ORTA you are hereby FORCED to sell your Dreamcast! You are UNWORTHY of it! Thumbs down, blue-dude!!
Haha. Actually, I should be forced to sell my saturn, as that's the system the old panzers were released on (I quite enjoyed them too). Oh I don't know. Perhaps I'll get Orta this week. It has the original Panzer Dragoon in it as well, yeah?
Old 12-28-2002, 11:20 AM   #4
gabriel
infinity in finity

Congrats on the purchase

From what I gather, the original PD is unlocked once you beat Orta, or some such.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:22 AM   #5
Twelve
Sky is gone; 12 is HERE!

Hey, leave Swiss cheese alone!
Listen, now that you've started this thread, I want to hear your point of view of how everything goes with your Xbox experience. Do you think you represent a new trend in Japan?

Old 12-28-2002, 11:03 PM   #6
Robo Halloween
Banned

Congrats in getting an X-Box. Now stay away from Sega GT 2K2. Don't bother playing it, not even if it comes free with that deal. Jet Set Radio Future is a must-own.

And the one game I can't wait for is Ninja Gaiden.
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:09 PM   #7
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

I find it a bit funny how before I seem to recall you saying the only thing compelling you to buy an X-box was Orta, and now you say you don't really want to buy it, lol. But there's another system and as long as you get some good games out of it then it's no big deal.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:54 PM   #8
jammin27

Re: Wrap me in swiss cheese and call me a bologna sandwich--I bought an xbox!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blueskied
It'll be strange to have this huge black box sitting next to my Spice Orange Gamecube and my little Dreamcast. But I owned a 3DO before, so I'm used to big black front-loading-disc game systems.

u dont have a ps2?? what are u like the only japenese person to not own one or something
Old 12-28-2002, 11:58 PM   #9
blueskied

Quote:
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8
I find it a bit funny how before I seem to recall you saying the only thing compelling you to buy an X-box was Orta, and now you say you don't really want to buy it, lol. But there's another system and as long as you get some good games out of it then it's no big deal.

Yeah, totally! I'm the king of hypocrisy!
I actually really did want to get Orta, but then I saw it running for a few minutes, and I wasn't all that impressed. People say they beat it in 2 hours. I don't tend to play shooters over and over, so for the $60 it costs in Japan (games cost more here than in the US, DOAX, for example, will retail for about $70. Biohazard 0 cost $70 too), I might be better waiting until the price drops a bit. We can't rent games here, otherwise I'd rent it!

I bought DOA3 and just today I got rallisport challenge. I love a good racing game, and this one is GORGEOUS. Wow, the graphics--amazing!

I'm enjoying my new xbox, perhaps more than I thought I would. While it is a big, huge, clunky system, there's a certain charm to it. The two games I have are fabulous and I must admit the graphics are a tad better than the best I've seen on the GC, and they're light-years ahead of the PS2.

Of course, I'm looking forward to Ninja Gaiden too (that's another reason why I bought an xbox)!
:cool guy:
Old 12-29-2002, 12:01 AM   #10
blueskied

Re: Re: Wrap me in swiss cheese and call me a bologna sandwich--I bought an xbox!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jammin27

u dont have a ps2?? what are u like the only japenese person to not own one or something
Yeah I don't have a PS2. I've never owned a PS system. I don't like them, for some reason. And yeah, I'm probably the only gamer here in Japan without one! Though, I am not Japanese (I am a white american living/working in Japan).
Old 12-29-2002, 12:42 AM   #11
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Re: Wrap me in swiss cheese and call me a bologna sandwich--I bought an xbox!!!!!!

Quote:
Anyway, I'm now the only person in my Japanese town with an Xbox.
Careful, people here are gonna start thinking the japanese don't like the Xbox.
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 08:38 AM   #12
Twelve
Sky is gone; 12 is HERE!

Re: Re: Re: Wrap me in swiss cheese and call me a bologna sandwich--I bought an xbox!!!!!!

Quote:

Though, I am not Japanese (I am a white american living/working in Japan).
OH! Dang...it's a good thing you mentioned that. Are you one of those English majors who are over their teaching English? I wanted to do that, and I admit that it was only for the videogames....hehe

Old 12-29-2002, 09:00 AM   #13
blueskied

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wrap me in swiss cheese and call me a bologna sandwich--I bought an xbox!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicole's Sky

OH! Dang...it's a good thing you mentioned that. Are you one of those English majors who are over their teaching English? I wanted to do that, and I admit that it was only for the videogames....hehe

Yeah I teach English here (it pays well and it's not that difficult), but I wasn't an English major. My major at college was in Japanese Linguistics.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:12 AM   #14
blueskied

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicole's Sky
Hey, leave Swiss cheese alone!
Listen, now that you've started this thread, I want to hear your point of view of how everything goes with your Xbox experience. Do you think you represent a new trend in Japan?

I don't think I represent a new trend in Japan, unfortunately. I am a foreigner here, so my buying habits don't have much bearing on the trends and tastes of the 125 million Japanese who live here!

Now that I own an xbox, I obviously want good software to come out for the system. A game like MGS2, for example, was released in the USA, but as of now it won't be released here, which is sorta of sad as I would buy MGS2 if it came out here on the xbox.
Konami is all mad at the xbox in Japan as they released Silent Hill 2, some soccer game, and Crash Bandicoot 4 here in Japan and they all sold like crap. Release some A quality games, maybe they won't sell like crap! But I can understand their point of view, the Xbox in Japan isn't a system you're going to get high sales numbers with, at the moment. In a few months there should be close to 500,000 xboxes sold here, if things go well with the upcoming software like DOAX, Ninja Gaiden, and others. We'll see.

If the rumors that Suikoden III are being released on the xbox in the USA in march are true, and they don't release that game here in Japan, I will be really pissed off. That game looks sweet and I don't want to buy a PS2 to play it. If it came out on the xbox in Japan, I'd be set. Stupid Konami of Japan.

I want to play MK deadly alliance as well. Who knows if/when that will be released in Japan (I heard Koei will release it here, though no release date is known). I have both a GC and an xbox, so I don't care, I just want it on one of those systems!
Old 12-29-2002, 09:47 AM   #15
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Quote:
I want to play MK deadly alliance as well. Who knows if/when that will be released in Japan (I heard Koei will release it here, though no release date is known). I have both a GC and an xbox, so I don't care, I just want it on one of those systems!
I just lost so much of what respect I have for your gaming taste. Along with the fact that you implied MGS2 was an A game and yet Silent Hill 2 was not.