The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Games that look better on 360: Lost Planet, All EA games besides Burnout, Ridge Racer, Dynasty Warriors 6, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and too many more to list

Games that look better on PS3: Oblivion, Burnout, Blazing Angels, Devil May Cry 4, and that is honestly it right now.

But really the systems are quite close in ability. Some feel that 360's best looking game, Gears of War, looks better than PS3's best looking game, Uncharted... While others think the opposite.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
DBJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
(Has a Wii and 360)

Ah, in that case. I would upgrade the pc for the ultimate graphical experience.

You woulnd't be gaining much with a PS3 over the 360 at this point. I would wait until fall 2008 when there are at least 3 potentially really great looking games (MGS4, Resistance 2, Killzone). As these are built for the PS3, they will probably be the ultimate expression of what the PS3 can deliver.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
phknrocket1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
That was how they made consoles before. Its different now. The 360 runs on an nvidia gpu and the ps3 on an ATI one if I recall. They are PC hardware.
Opposite. X360 GPU is a R500-derivative and PS3's is a GeForce 7800-derivative.

For the record, all consoles, looking at it very simplified and cynically are just "stripped-down" PC's specialized for TV-based gaming.

Quote:
Also, consoles have always been cpu-centric, if I´m not mistaken, and thus always had a much different hardware than PCs. Current multiplatform games are made with engines developed on PCs and not optimized for the ps3.
All consoles have "PC hardware".

The trend toward having video cards take on extra tasks (such as physics and AI) started in the early 2000s a la the GPU. The trend hit consoles maybe 1-2 years later in the form of the Xbox and GameCube.

Its just starting with the Xbox and GameCube (and N64 if you are a graphics nerd) have more 'familiar' brand names included on the inside.
phknrocket1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I was told DMC4 looked better on 360 by multiple sources.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #20
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
I was told DMC4 looked better on 360 by multiple sources.
Yeah, but the reviewers and general consensus seem to think otherwise... I guess that one's too close to call. The PS3 version won't output 1080i though (it will just display at 480p on such a set), so on a 1080i HDTV, the 360 version wins hands-down.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #21
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY View Post
Ah, in that case. I would upgrade the pc for the ultimate graphical experience.

You woulnd't be gaining much with a PS3 over the 360 at this point. I would wait until fall 2008 when there are at least 3 potentially really great looking games (MGS4, Resistance 2, Killzone). As these are built for the PS3, they will probably be the ultimate expression of what the PS3 can deliver.
You are assuming WAY too much and your suggestion of buying a PC is really unnecessary. I already have two computers than handle all my application needs and spending nearly a grand (on tower + monitor) on a PC just to game is not worth it to me at this point.

Im not asking for what people have heard, I was asking for first hand experiences. Joe, Ness, and Blind were the only ones whos answers I actually took seriously.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #22
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I have a 1080i set and Devil May Cry displays in 720p. Also Ridge Racer looks better on the PS3 (native 1080p) whereas the 360 one is native 720p. There are plenty of comparison shots on teh interweb. Plays worse on PS3, though. Too twitchy.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #23
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I have a 1080i set and Devil May Cry displays in 720p. Also Ridge Racer looks better on the PS3 (native 1080p) whereas the 360 one is native 720p. There are plenty of comparison shots on teh interweb. Plays worse on PS3, though. Too twitchy.
Hmm your HDTV must scale the image on its own then. Some of them do, but not most; not even all Sony CRTs do it. There's a huge thread (over 3000 posts) on the official PS forums about what games can and can't display at 1080i.

Oh, and Ridge Racer 7 on PS3 has less background geometry. I've never heard anyone say that it looked better than the 360 game. You can find comparison shots of the missing background elements, though. If your TV is 1080i though, then the 1080p thing would make no difference in how the game is displayed on it.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #24
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

ATI cards are generally weaker so i would have to say the 360 CAN own the PS3 in terms of graphics. Because remember kiddies the developer decides how good looking the game is not the system.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #25
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Kiddies? Aren't you like 7?

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #26
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Kiddies? Aren't you like 7?
ololololoLLololOlol no, 18. I put kiddies in for dramatic effect. DRAMATIC!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #27
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty View Post
ATI cards are generally weaker so i would have to say the 360 CAN own the PS3 in terms of graphics. Because remember kiddies the developer decides how good looking the game is not the system.
But both cards have room to display greater textures than what i used on a conventional 480p screen, however Blu-Ray discs offer more space to make use of these better textures. So while the Models can't be supported in a higher resolution than the 360, the environments have plenty of room to flourish.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee View Post
But both cards have room to display greater textures than what i used on a conventional 480p screen, however Blu-Ray discs offer more space to make use of these better textures. So while the Models can't be supported in a higher resolution than the 360, the environments have plenty of room to flourish.
BINGO

The textures the PS3 supports might be slightly lower pixel count then the 360 but the PS3 has the ability to process a vast amount more in terms of those same textures on the screen at the same time. This coupled with Blu-ray means that some developer could outshine the 360 in terms of sheer number of high def textures. Sadly I don't know if people know how to use the Cell processor to it's full potential yet.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #29
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I thought the 360 runs on ATI's GPU and the PS3 runs on nvidia's GPU?

GPU NVIDIA-SCEI "RSX"
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #30
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Yeah, but the reviewers and general consensus seem to think otherwise... I guess that one's too close to call. The PS3 version won't output 1080i though (it will just display at 480p on such a set), so on a 1080i HDTV, the 360 version wins hands-down.
Nah, many reviewers only say the opening movie looks better. The actual game is said to look better on 360.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote