The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Devil May Cry 4 Demo

So who here besides me has played it? I think it is only available on the Japanese PSN network right now, but it will be available to god-fearing Americans pretty soon.

It's not too bad, though I dislike how the angle changes when you're running around and suddenly you find yourself pressing the wrong direction on the controller and run right back to where you just came from. I thought that the main character's weapon was a guitar, but it's actually a sword and a gun and a whole buncha magic-type moves. He makes fantastic comments like "Slam dunk!" when he throws an enemy down, and it makes me laugh hard and bond with him, thanks Capcom! The music, when there is any, is gawdawful. It even has some grumbling guy doing his best attempt at lyrics on top of 2 chord heavy guitars. "Music" like this ranks right up there with most rap as some of the least entertaining stuff ever created. You play though a short stage which if you beat you will go to the boss. You will run out of time, though. Or you can choose to go straight to the boss where you must use strategy to win.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
murray
<insert witty motto>

Its out on 360 in the Uk too, pulling it down now
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well then I will move this thread to general gaming!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Joker
not Seraph

I went through the 360 demo and here are the early impressions:

The game looks very nice but the camera switches are confusing especially near stairs. There were glitches too, like disappearing walls/columns as you walk past them. The Berial boss looks awesome, very detailed and stuff.

Conclusion: looks like a "buy" to me. It will probably pull me away from Conan though
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
murray
<insert witty motto>

Berial was very cool. It looks nice and handle fairly well. i will pick it up...it will past the time until the king of all hack n slash games Ninja Gaiden 2 arrives

Heres some good shots comparing the two demos on PS3 vs 360. for me the 360 has crisper textures...having played both now i can tell you this is the case but the PS3 version handles slightly better for some reason...but only just.

http://www.ps3forums.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=107
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Reko8

I was playing the demo and nothing really seemed that unique. Just seemed like a basic hack and slash with not that many combos, hell I dont even think there were any combos. I hope im missing something fun here
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I liked it better than 3, and its as good as 1.

The combos are about air juggling, and using the devil bringer to pull them back in place.

Also, you can charge the left trigger to power up you next few attacks in between combos.

The boss fight I spent over 1 min plus in the air, which is really fun.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I like OZ better (The Sword of Etheria in EU)
Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
Reko8

Can anyone tell me whats good about this game? I think I'm missing the fun stuff, unless this is just an average hack n slash everyone just happens to love
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Kiryu1985
Communist

Well I haven't played DMC 4, but DMC games are more than hack and slash,in DMC3 you have different styles, combined with weapons, plus I don't think you can simply mash buttons to hack and slash your way with the enemies, skill will be required to dodge and jump around the place, and patience.

Besides this is just the demo, an old one at that, from what i've seen dante can change his styles and weapons on the fly, his Pandora's box, lets him glide, and possibly act as a huge weapon. Nero has new abilities as well, and isn't just an emo dante.

And every game has puzzles, and secrets too, so this should not be any different
Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Northeastmonk

Plus you get the first five or so epidodes of the DMC anime with the collector's edition. I'm looking forward to this game for sure. I reserved it months ago.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

You probably dont want the first five episodes, as I have heard the show is pretty blah...
Old 01-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Yeah man, the anime is just plain awful.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee View Post
You probably dont want the first five episodes, as I have heard the show is pretty blah...
me too,i like it more than DMC 3.DMC1 is best one.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
Northeastmonk

Do the lyrics sound like this; "The flame in your eye has caught your bluff, feel free to die when you've had enough". lol And do they have someone worship the devil during premission? lol That was like my favorite part of DMC3. Yeah. I saw the beginning of the DMC anime. The beginning bar scene looked like 1990 Manga films (which isn't bad), but it seemed like it was ripping off Hellsing.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote