The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #46
Seraph
>:3

What are you talking about? Did you forget to look at my review before you commented to see its on Metroid Prime and not Metroid Prime 3? I have nothing but praise for MP3's controls.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #47
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
What are you talking about? Did you forget to look at my review before you commented to see its on Metroid Prime and not Metroid Prime 3? I have nothing but praise for MP3's controls.
Oh. Nice.

Thought you were doing Wii games.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #48
Seraph

Yeah mostly Wii, but some GC games will show up as they are backwards compatible. I plan to start doing DS games as soon as I can figure out a good way to take screenshots.

I figured it wasnt proper to jump into a review of the 3rd game without telling my thoughts of its two prequels.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #49
Joe Redifer
Olé!

What are you using to edit the video?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #50
Seraph

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. I get a free copy of all of Adobe's software through my school. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #51
Seraph

Nintendo Gamecube
1-4 Players
Developer - Retro Studios
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-I love the Metroid series
-I liked Metroid Prime
-I hate console First Person Shooters

My Completion
Beaten with 79% completion

Story
Hot off the trail of where the first Metroid Prime ended, Samus now finds herself going to the new planet Aether. I was never able to figure out why you were on this planet in the first place, my guess it to chase Dark Samus who escaped from you in the first game (and for the sake of the spoiler phobic, if you don’t have some understanding who dark Samus is you shouldnt be playing this sequel, so I’m not going to spoiler tag her). You land on this planet and find yourself stuck and without all your powers……… again. The only way to leave is to help the people of this planet beat the evil darkness and save the day.

These are the things your forced to help

This entire game feels like a side story more than anything else. As a whole it really has nothing to do with the Metroid saga or the Prime trilogy for that matter. After completing the whole game I think you can skip it and still enjoy Metroid Prime 3.

Much of the games story is still told through reading scans

The ending of this game is much better than the firsts. While still on the short side it leaves you feeling pretty satisfied for all your hard work.

Graphics
There are some pretty amazing effects in this game. The game is full of even sharper textures and more detail than the first Metroid Prime making this is easily one of Gamecube’s sharpest looking games. The animation is a lot better than the first game as well, Samus actually walks and moves like a real person now. The character models and designs are much improved, this game also has Samus’ coolest looking suit in the entire series.

Some parts of the game look amazing

The environments in this game are very bland. Since half the game takes place in the dark world, your spent cruising half the game in bland purple environments that all look the same. Purple room after purple room, it begins to all look the same. It’s a shame because the non-dark worlds look great.

Purple Purple Purple Purple Purple Purple Purple

Music
The music in this game suffers the exact same problem as the first. All the new tracks written for this game are generic and pretty boring, and the only good tracks are the remixed Super Metroid themes. I absolutely love the remix of Maridia’s theme in this game, as it is one of my all time favorite Metroid themes.

One of the new tracks is annoying as heck. It has a loud overbearing metal clang throughout the entire track, as if somebody was hitting two steel pipes together right next to your ear. It consequently made that area of the game very un-enjoyable.

Gameplay
The controls to this game are identical to that of its predecessor. That means they are horrible. So I don’t repeat myself over the same control method, this is an excerpt from my Metroid Prime review.
Quote:
The controls feel sluggish and in my opinion are horrible. It took me a couple hours just to get to the point where I wasn’t fumbling every time I needed to think fast. Instead of a free look dual analog setup like most console first person shooters, aiming and movement are both bound to the left analog stick. This proves to be very frustrating as you literally can’t perform tasks that have become standard fare in the FPS genre. I eventually got to the point where I could maneuver the way I wanted to, but it took almost half the game and it still feels extremely limiting.
The difference with this game was by the time I started it I was already used to the controls. Still didn’t change them from feeling extremely limiting.

Many of the problems that plagued the first game are still around. The map is still confusing (even more so) and still does the annoying snap thing, the doors still take a while to open after you shoot them. It’s a shame none of this was fixed up.

If the first game was considered difficult, this game is a complete nightmare. Some of the bosses in this game I had to redo 6-7 times before I finally conquered them. They just launch attacks at you that are nearly impossible to avoid and take off way too much health. It also doesn’t help that this games energy tank upgrades are very well hidden resulting in a much lower health bar for most of the game. I don’t mind harder difficulty, but make it an option to play balls to the wall hard or not.

This games upgrade system isn’t nearly as fun as the first primes and makes for an uninteresting game. Some genius over at Retro Studios decided to implement an ammo system for all of Samus’ beams. Yes that’s right ammo. Gone are the days of getting a new beam and then enjoying the hell out of blasting everything in sight with it. You now have to worry about using your beams as to not use up all your ammo, and because of this you’re stuck using the lame old power beam for most of the game. The two new visors you get are all but useless, only used in rare instances.

The famed Screw Attack makes its return. Not nearly as cool as the 2D ones.

The level design has taken a turn for the worse. There are still some great rooms and good platforming puzzles (especially some awesome Morphball puzzles) but as a whole now everything it too complex and too clustered. I found myself many times looking at the map to find where I wanted to go, walking in that direction only to check the map again and find I had accidentally taken a wrong turn somewhere and was completely off track.

I've gotten so disorientated in this room countless times

At the very end of the game before you can fight the last boss you must go on a fetch quest looking for 9 different keys. This part of the game made me stop playing for weeks. Unlike the first Metroid Primes end game fetch quest, this game doesn’t tell you where they keys are. On top of that, the keys are invisible and you need to use a special visor to see them that turns everything grey and makes it near impossible to navigate around. Basically unless you enjoy the idea of spending hours upon hours scanning every single room in the game, you will never beat it. I had to resort to using Gamefaqs, and even when I did it was hard to find the invisible keys in the rooms they were supposed to be in. In my opinion this stupid search quest ruins the end of the game.

And just like the first game, unless you beat this one with 100% items you don’t get to see the true ending that links it to Metroid Prime 3. Note to game developers, make the reward for fully completing a game non-story related, that way those of us who aren’t psycho completionists can see the whole story too.

Multiplayer
This game has a multiplayer death match mode. My time playing it is very brief and as a whole I did not find it enjoyable. I played it for a total of 20 minutes before I called it quits.

Lasting Appeal
My final time clocked in at 15 hours. This game has almost no replay value as the combat was not fun enough to keep you coming back. If you’re a completionist, then it will add many more hours to this game.

Final Thoughts
This is the worst game in the Metroid Prime trilogy. It doesn’t fix any of the problems of the first game, and adds a ton of new ones. While the first game was fun despite all its flaws, and this one does have its moments, it felt like a chore the most of the way through. If you can’t tell from my review, almost every aspect of this game is worse than the first one. It doesn’t come close to matching the greatness of Metroid Prime.

If you’re a fan of Metroid Prime, my advice is to rent or pay budget price for this game. If you want to skip it and jump straight into the much improved Metroid Prime 3, it is completely viable as this game doesn’t even have an impact on the trilogy.

Gameplay Video
Video is high quality, if its choppy pause it and let it load

Last edited by Seraph; 08-04-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #52
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I must say, your reviews are quite awesome.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:54 AM   #53
Joe Redifer
Olé!

OK I tried more of Excite Truck and I still do not like. The controls just aren't very accurate. Also, I don't like having to earn style points in order to advance in every single race. If I wanted to play a game where all I do is tricks, I'd play Tony Hawk.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #54
Seraph

So am I looking at a full month ban or can I get off based on good behavior?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #55
Joe Redifer
Olé!

If I agree with your next review, I'll let it slide.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #56
Reko8

I liked Excite Truck too, but I dont think it took me 20 hours. Don't think it's worth $50, but when it's around $20 is a good buy and I'm not a huge racing fan. I got it for 2500 Dave and Buster tickets so I was happy
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:31 AM   #57
Seraph

Nintendo Wii
1 Player
Developer - Retro Studios
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-I love the Metroid series
-I liked Metroid Prime but not MP2
-I hate console First Person Shooters

My Completion
Beaten with 73% completion

Story
Much to my dismay, I discovered you really don’t need to play the previous two Prime games to understand this game. So if you’re worried about jumping in with the 3rd game in this trilogy you won’t be lost. The story this time around is much more prevalent that the previous games in the series. Unlike the other two Prime games, in this game I knew what I was doing and why at all times. To me this is a big improvement as it felt like I had a sense of purpose outside of just “beating it”.

A big addition to the series is voice acting. Samus still remains the silent protagonist, but the people/computers she interacts with talk up a storm. Having the storyline told this way makes the game feel less like a Metroid title and more like your average story driven FPS. I’m not saying its worse, but it’s certainly different than Metroid’s usual isolation theme.

I didn’t think the story itself was too bad. Dark Samus is back and badder than ever. The game even makes some references that link to future titles in the Metroid timeline. While the storyline isn’t going to win any awards for writing or execution, it is still pretty interesting up to the end.

Graphics
Supports 16:9 Widescreen and Progressive Scan

In my opinion as of right now (02/14/08) Metroid Prime 3 has the best looking graphics on the Wii. It is still full of excessive attention to detail that the previous 2 Prime games were known for, even more so. On top of that the Retro Studios has made brilliant work of bloom lighting. Everything in this game is covered in bloom lighting and it makes for some simply breathtaking rooms.

This game litereally glows

The games choreography is also vastly improved and Samus and crew now move like real people. None of the movement in this game looks stiff or forced and looking back at the first Prime, they have come a long way. The character models however are a mixed bag. Samus looks better than ever, her model is much more improved over Prime 2’s and she now looks closer to how she does in Smash Bros Brawl. Although some character models look pretty bad, the Army General in particular, and remind me of Sega Dreamcast level visuals.

The environments in this game are like a giant breath of fresh air coming from Prime 2’s. Fiery lava areas, frosty artic areas, metallic spaceships. Every area is different and done very well from an artistic standpoint.

Music
The music in this game is the worst in the series. The opening title screen music is the only track in the entire game that stood out to me. Whereas the previous two Prime games at least had remixed Super Metroid tracks to liven things up, this game has none.

I just can’t remember a single piece of music from this game. I understand the game is going for an atmospheric feel but even ambience can have melody if done right.

Gameplay
Wow. It’s ironic that my biggest complaint with the first two Prime games was the controls because this game has pulled a complete 180 in this regard. In the old games controlling a FPS with one analog stick felt horrible. The controls in Metroid Prime 3 are about as close as perfect as you can get. It’s almost as if the Wii Remote + Nunchuk combo was designed for this game.

There are different control modes available in the options menu. Each method changes the size of the invisible bounding box that controls how close the cursor can be towards the edge of the screen until the viewpoint will start turning. I played through the entire game on the Advanced mode, the method that offers no bounding box. This took a while to get used to because unless you keep the pointer perfectly center the camera will always be slightly moving. At first this was frustrating because every time I stopped to look at something the camera would slowly move to the left or right. However the adjustment period was well worth it as advanced mode allowed me to run-and-gun like a pro.

Finally easy looking around in Metroid Prime

The only complaint I can think of regarding the controls is the rare instances when you must perform a push/pull action with the Wii Remote. It could just be my personal setup, but I have never found push/pull functionality to work well and here it’s no different.

Regardless, the controls are THE reason this game is so enjoyable. In the previous Prime games if I didn’t have to kill a pack of enemies, I would save myself the work and run past. In this game I found myself shooting anything that moved. The combat is just a riot of fun. As a big fan of FPS games on the PC I will make a bold statement: FPS’s with the Wii Remote in this game are more fun than Keyboard/Mouse. Not as accurate, but more fun.

So how is the actual game? I am glad to say the awesome control method is complemented by an awesomely designed game.

It seems Samus finally smartened up in this game, you don’t throw away or lose all your powers at the beginning. Granted you throw away some of them like Boost Ball, but you don’t have to painfully go through the process of re-getting simple things like Morph Ball and double jump. However this in turn makes the upgrades you do get way less exciting. There aren’t many new or fresh upgrades in this game that weren’t previously in the other two primes, which is disappointing. Half the upgrades you do get are of the 1-2 time use category and will only be used to open a new door. You get upgrades for Samus’s ship too, but I have yet to figure out what some of them do (like missile expansions).

The Morph Ball puzzles are as clever as ever

This game does not start off promising. The opening scene is much like that of Xbox franchise Halo’s. You have tons of goofy looking space marines talking to you as they walk you through the controls. You then meet some army general who briefs you and a bunch of uninspired American looking bounty hunters of your mission. This opening just gives the impression of “I don’t want Halo I want Metroid”. Luckily you don’t have to deal with the space marines much thought the game.

Yes sir Master Chief sir

During the game you will be awarded Extras credits for performing tasks. The first time it happened I started laughing as it’s an obvious ripoff/mockery of Xbox 360’s Achievement system. The credits you earn can then be used in the games extras menu to unlock stuff. None of the things you unlock pertain to the actual game, they are more like DVD bonus features. I thought most of them were pretty worthless like Art (boring) and Music (what music? lol), but one of them was really neat. You can unlock a screenshot tool that allows you to take a snapshot of the screen anytime during Gameplay. It then sends this screenshot to your Wii Message Board and can be viewed from there. It’s a cool way to not only save screenshots of your favorite moments but also send them to friends. Unfortunatly this cool screenshot tool can only be bought with Friend Vouchers. To get Friend Vouchers you need to know friends who own this game and have them send you some over the internet.

Anytime during Gameplay you can hold down the + button and enter Hyper Mode. In this mode you use your life energy to fire out Phazon blasts that kill anything in a few hits. Stay in this mode for more than a few seconds and you become corrupted which will constantly suck life to fill your Phazon ammo. If you allow the bar to overflow this way you die, so when corrupted you must rapidly fire all your ammo out to exit hyper mode, therefore depleting an entire energy tank. It makes for a really cool element and can be very helpful in the games tight spots.

Samus has several Hyper Mode powers

Unlike previous Metroid games which encourage exploration to the point of cluelessness, this game is pretty straight forward. As soon as you finish one objective you are told what the next one should be and given directions on where to find it. You are basically directed from point A to point B throughout the entire game, which was kind of nice for a change since I never once had to look at an FAQ. There is even a fetch quest at the very end like the other Primes, but this one helps you out a bit and isn’t frustrating.

The games difficulty is set just right. The bosses provide a good amount of challenge. The difficulty is on par with the first Metroid Prime, and a lot easier than the frustrating Prime 2.

Some of the flaws that have plagued the Prime series are back. The doors still do not open immediately due to slow loading, and is now even more prevalent. There are a few doors in the game that are just out of control ridiculous, taking up to 10 seconds to open. I lost an entire health tank sitting and waiting for a door to open while being barraged from behind. The map screen still snaps to the nearest highlighted area, making it impossible to zoom in on a specific section of a room. However since the maps aren’t nearly as complex this problem isn’t as bad.

Start shooting doors this far away, they could be halfway loaded when you reach them

And again, for the third time, this game pulls the true ending 100% only crap. I finished with 73% completion only to realize I don’t get to see the rest of the story. Granted in this game it’s not nearly as big a deal as the other 2 because it’s the end of the trilogy, but its still just bad design. I miss the days when the reward was Samus in a bikini instead.

Lasting Appeal
My final game clocked in at 14 hours. I didn’t take the time to search every nook and cranny, but I probably will when I have more time. This game was so fun to play I was disappointed when it was over and can see myself replaying it in the future on a harder difficulty.

Completionists will get many more hours out of the title as there is a lot to discover.

Final Thoughts
You don’t need to play the previous games in the series to enjoy this one. I think this is hands down the best game in the trilogy.

This is one of the few games that I will say every Wii owner needs to play, it’s that good. It’s one of those system seller games that justify a console purchase. Forget what other FPS's you have played on Wii, and go play this game.

Gameplay Video

Last edited by Seraph; 08-04-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #58
Joe Redifer
Olé!

This game kicks ass. I got about as much completion % as you I think, maybe more. I honestly can't remember without checking. Anyway the 100% ending which I saw somewhere is only an extra clip of nothing. The ending is completely there, it's just the extra nothings that are added, like Samus looking at something nobody cares about. Wheee!!

What's with the normal shitty-quality Youtube video?
EDIT: Nevermind. Saw the news. Yay shitty!!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #59
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Anyway the 100% ending which I saw somewhere is only an extra clip of nothing. The ending is completely there, it's just the extra nothings that are added, like Samus looking at something nobody cares about. Wheee!!
Yeah its not very bad in this game, I just dont like it on a matter of principles. It was horrible in the first 2 games becuase the secret ending is what linked them together.

And yeah, Youtube got smart. Quite a shame and I'm hoping that highquality thing rings true. But I figure blurry garbage video is better than no video.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #60
SuperAngelo64
Surprise

I'm not going to lie, Metroid Prime 3 will probably be the only Metroid Prime game I play. Controls seem alot better than the other two.

Also, Sylux ftw. :]
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote