The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #31
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I forgot to mention my dislike of the Wii Channels. Each downloaded game should not be it's own channel. The main screen is much too cluttered. There should be a single channel which says "Virtual Fucking Console" and you go in there and select your game from a neatly organized list (no clutter). At the very, very worst it should be a Genesis channel, a TurboGrafx016 channel, a Sega Master System channel, a Sega Saturn channel, a Sega Dreamcast channel and so on and so forth. The way they do it now is lame. They could have designed the Wii firmware soooooo much better than it is. I guess it didn't spend to much time in design, what with their crappy copying system and online play.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #32
Seraph
>:3

Nintendo Wii
1-2 Players
Developer - Monster Games
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
I love the Excite series (Excite Bike, Excite Bike 64)

My Completion
All races passed in Super Excite

Story
None. Racing games don’t need stories.

Graphics
Supports 16:9 Widescreen and Progressive Scan

The graphics in Excite Truck are average. Seeing the game in motion looks a whole lot better than it does in stills.

The environments look pretty bad when your truck is standing still. If you stop and take a good look at the dirt or trees, you will notice they are made of very bland and stretched out textures. Luckily in this game there is never a reason to stop, and most of the time the environments will be blurring past the screen. The actual trucks look average as well. They all have your typical overly glossy glass look that all racing games have.

Bland by todays standards but not ugly

When you hit a boost (which happens a lot), it automatically blurs the outside edge of the screen which gives off a greater sense of speed. The draw distance is more than enough for this game, I never recall seeing the stage cutoff in the distance.

Bottom line is that the graphics aren’t anything breathtaking, but don’t look ugly.

Music
The music in this game isn’t anything to write home about. The opening/menu music is a pretty good guitar riff and really built my anticipation for the soundtrack when I first heard it. However the rest of the music was a big letdown compared to the opening theme.

A lot of it is very bland rock, and some of it gives me a headache.

I think a lot of time didn’t go into the music due to the support of custom soundtracks. This game supports MP3 playback via the Wii’s SD card slot. It’s a welcomed feature and solves the problem of the crummy default soundtrack. However it’s still no excuse for the original soundtrack.

Gameplay
It’s easy to write Excite Truck off based off its visuals and music. It certainly doesn’t look like anything special. It’s a game you really just need to play to understand. I have showed Excite Truck to many people who have never even heard of it before and the reaction is almost always “awesome”.

Trust me, you just gotta play this game to understand

Steering is done by tilting the Wii Remote like a steering wheel. At first it feels clunky because the natural reaction is to turn the Wii Remote a full quarter-circle which causes your truck to turn way too much. The next usual reaction is to compensate by quickly turning a full quarter circle in the opposite direction. I’ve seen so many people pick up the controller and start doing this.

The key to Excite Truck is to make slight and precise tilts. The controls are very responsive and once you get the hang of it becomes a very intuitive way to control your truck. This is especially true regarding tilting your truck forward and back to land jumps properly. It also helps if you steer as if your holding a normal steering wheel and not that of an 18wheeler.

There is a good selection of different cars in this game, 21 to be exact. Each car has its own stats and handling, and get this: 12 Custom Colors!!! The course selection is somewhat limited. There are only 6 areas in this game, and so you wont see a big diversity in enviornments during your races. There are about 3 tracks to each area for a total of 20 different courses.

Lots of trucks to choose from.

Gameplay is very fun. Instead of winning races based off your time or finishing rank, victory is based off your final score. You collect points by pulling off tricks as you race. Such tricks include catching major air, holding a drift for a long period of time, or smashing other trucks. While you do receive a large amount of points for winning the race, it isn’t required to finish first to win. It is a great change of pace from standard racing games as the focus becomes less about beating the other cars and more about doing the best possible run.

What makes this game even more awesome is its non-linear course setup. Since you drive trucks on dirt, it isn’t plagued by the traditional racing game rule of “go off the course, start losing speed”. This opens up a world of shortcuts and different routes you can take. If you think you can cut seconds off your lap by navigating through an offbeat path full of trees you can do it.

If your a pro like me you can navigate trees like this

Also along the tracks are Terraform items which instantly mutate the track in front of you. Some will create giant jumps and some will make lakes appear. What’s awesome is that you can Terraform ground out from under other Trucks and send them flying.

The trucks must have wings in this game

This game reminds me a lot of the Burnout series by EA. It’s heavy on speed and flying past dangerously close obstacles. It also puts a big emphasis on crashing into other cars.

This racer crashed to his death moments later

If you don’t want to take my word for it and are still skeptical, take a look at this thread. It’s full of great testimonials of gamers who scoffed at this game only to later give it a chance and be blown away.

Along with the main game, there are side challenge modes. These modes include driving through gates, driving through rings, and my personal favorite, Crashing into other trucks.

Multiplayer

The 2 player mode is exactly what it says. 2 players, and only 2 players. There is no way to race with 2 players and the rest of the computer players. However despite the last of computer players it is still pretty fun to race agianst another person, especially when you start terraforming the ground out from under eachother. I’m disappointed there wasn’t any 4 player option as this game would be a blast at parties.

Lasting Appeal
It took me about 20 hours to get as far as I did. I have played this game on and off for over 40 hours though.

Because of its nature it has some good replay value. This is one game I will want to pick up off the shelf years from now and still enjoy.

Final Thoughts
Excite Truck isn’t a top of the line big budget racer. What it is however is a fun pick up and play game.

If you’re looking for a racer with tons of cars, options and tracks then this isn’t the game for you. However if your looking for an over the top arcade style racer, this game is a great buy. This game full of so many “holy $&#^#” moments, it gives off a great rush. It lives up to its Excite name and I encourage every Wii owner to at least rent it.

Gameplay Video

Last edited by Seraph; 08-22-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #33
Vegetto
Alive

I actually LOVED just watching my brother play it, it was very entertaining to see (wrecks especially teehee)

but yeah, decent game IMO
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #34
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The graphics are below Gamecube quality, the music sucks (which can be remedied if you have an SD card, like you said) and the gameplay is atrocious. You have to be sitting right in front of your TV for it to work well. If you are sitting say, over to the right, your truck will constantly steer towards one direction. That's the problem I had. Forget playing it with friends. Using the WiiMote as a steering wheel is fine for an option, but it should be just that... an option, not required. I always forget how I am supposed to hold the controller, with the buttons towards the ceiling or the buttons towards me. I also forget how I am supposed to steer, a horizontal semi-circle or a vertical one. I often unknowingly switch between the two during gameplay since the controller isn't attached to anything to keep the steering radius and angle in place.

The Wii absolutely ruins this game. It would be much better being played with a REAL controller and not this crap. Any driving games that control using this method deserve to be anal raped and to die of AIDS.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #35
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
You have to be sitting right in front of your TV for it to work well. If you are sitting say, over to the right, your truck will constantly steer towards one direction. That's the problem I had.
I've never had this problem. Since the game dosent use the sensor bar at all it dosent matter where it is relative to your TV set. Ive taken it to a bachelor party and had two guys in opposite corners of the room play fine.

It is confusing at first how your supposed to hold the controller and steer. Alot of people think they have to hold it a special way. I simply hold the Wii Remote like I would any other controler, just tilt it left and right. It does work if you try it 18wheeler style, but dosent work very well.

Do it like this

I dont think the game is broken on Wii in the least. Games like Sonic SoTR I would say definately, but not Excite Truck. After an hour of Excite I was performing everything I wanted to without thinking about it, after an hour of Sonic I was still getting frustrated at the controls.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #36
Joe Redifer
Olé!

When I was at fellow forum member Vicviper's house the night he got his brand new Wii, I couldn't stop it from veering off to the right (or maybe it was to the left) no matter what I did or how I held the thing. Maybe his room is broken?

Excite Truck is leagues better than Sonic and His Rings, but I'd still enjoy the game much more if there was an option to use a real controller. I don't like thrusting it forward, either. So the Wii does indeed break this game for me. Also I do not hold a regular controller to where the buttons face straight up. That is unnatural. When I use a real controller, it faces diagonally up between me and the ceiling, mostly pointed towards my handsome face.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #37
Seraph

Weird about Vicviper's house, I assure you thats some weird black magic and not how the actual game works.

I hold my contoller angled as well. My picture just sucks becuase i drew it freehand with my mouse in MS Paint. Just hold it comfortably and tilt left or right. I encourage you to give the games controls another chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Sonic and His Rings
I lol'ed
Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #38
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I will try, but if I don't like it you're looking at a month-long ban, buddy!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #39
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Good review Seraph. I am one of the few people that like this game also. It's proof to me that a game with below average graphics and music can still be a kick in the ass to play. The control scheme works fine for me and I've had maybe one or two problems with imprecise controls. I think Joe Redifer was having a problem controlling the game because he was sitting directly under 4 halogen light bulbs. I'm not sure if this is still a problem with the remote communicating with the sensor or not.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
murray
<insert witty motto>

I enjoyed it it too never had any control issues but i have wanted to pop my own eardrums with pencils in preference to listening to the shitty rock soundtrack
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 AM   #41
Seraph

Nintendo Gamecube
1 Player
Developer - Retro Studios
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-I love the 2D Metroid series
-I hate console First Person Shooters

My Completion
Beaten with 64% completion

Story
The story is more than what most Metroid games were before it. It starts off almost the exact same way Super Metroid does. A distress beacon goes off at a space station and Samus Aran goes to check it out. Ridley (Samus arch nemesis) shows up, havoc ensues, the space station blows up and Samus goes off to chase Ridley. The Story then begins on planet Tallon IV, Samus looking for Ridley, learning of the planets history, and ultimately of the mega evil Metroid Prime herself.

I found myself not knowing what was going on story wise throughout the entire game. Simply going from objective to objective just because that’s what I was told to do rather than I knew why I was doing it.

A lot of this games story is fleshed out by scanning and reading different logs left behind. Personally I think it’s a great way to tell a story, reading the history and notes left by others, much like your typical Resident Evil game does. It made for a very exciting moment spending most of the game casually reading tidbits about the evilness of Metroid Prime and then finally discovering her lair.

The games’ ending is a complete let down. The ending and epilogue are over in a matter of minutes with no explanation and feels like a slap in the face for all that hard work. It ends with Samus just staring at the ruins she came from for a few seconds then flying off.

Graphics
The visuals in this game are pretty good by Gamecube standards. The environments are all very unique and lively. This game is also pays very close attention to detail. Just about everything in this game is covered with little lights or foliage. Walk through a bunch of steam and your visor will fog up, unleash a blast too close to the wall and you will see Samus’ eyes reflect in her visor. Just a ton of little things like that add up to a polished package.

My screengrabs dont do this place justice

The animations in this game are very stiff. Watching ships fly, watching Samus walk, it all just seems very amateur compared with the games of its time and today. It’s kind of hard to explain, but none of the movement looks “natural”.

This guy needs to work on his whole dying act, it looks very stiff and forced

This could just be my problem, but I found the game to be very dark. I had to turn the in-game brightness to full as well as my TV’s brightness up a few notches.

Music
The Metroid series is known for ambient music. As far as new music goes there are very few tracks.

It feels like almost all of the good tracks in this game are the remixed versions of music from Super Metroid. While it’s disappointing that the new stuff isn’t nearly as impressive as the tunes from old, the remixed versions of these songs are great. This game has some awesome new versions of awesome songs. And despite the blandness of most of the new music, 1-2 new tracks do stick out.

However the battle music gets extremely annoying. Every single time you encounter space pirates it keeps looping the same short theme. It was pretty cool the first time, but after about the 10th time of encountering space pirates I was turning the volume down.

Gameplay
The controls feel sluggish and in my opinion are horrible. It took me a couple hours just to get to the point where I wasn’t fumbling every time I needed to think fast. Instead of a free look dual analog setup like most console first person shooters, aiming and movement are both bound to the left analog stick. This proves to be very frustrating as you literally can’t perform tasks that have become standard fare in the FPS genre. I eventually got to the point where I could maneuver the way I wanted to, but it took almost half the game and it still feels extremely limiting.

Like with most Metroid games Samus starts off the adventure retaining none of the power ups she archived in the last game. The Metroid formula of exploration, get new ability, explore new areas with new ability is still intact. That’s pretty much the summary of how the entire game flows up until the end.

The level design is brilliant. I have never seen a First Person Shooter with this level of platforming and room design. This game does an excellent job of recreating the world of Metroid in 3D. Samus can also roll into her trademark Morphball which sends the game into a 3rd person perspective and makes for some very well thought out puzzles.

I always wonder what Samus feels like in there

This game is fairly difficult, even on the easiest setting. Every boss in the game has some sort of weak point or trick to figure out. By the time I figured out what the trick was, how to take the boss down, and then did it I was almost dead. I finished too many boss fights on my very last energy tank.

SHOOP DA WHOOP!

Loading times in this game are for the most part very well hidden. When loading a new area the game usually plays some sort of cut scene to hide the fact that it’s loading. It’s not perfect though. If you try to open a door before the next area is fully loaded, the door just remains shut until the area is done. This can take up to 10 seconds meanwhile leaving you just sitting staring at the door. It proves to be very problematic when you are trying to escape away from enemies, causing you to basically run yourself into a corner.

The map system is confusing and annoying. Hitting Z at any time will bring up a map that you can shift and rotate to figure out where you need to go next. Due to the nature of how complex the 3D levels are, some rooms can be very confusing to try and make sense of. The other VERY annoying part about the map is scrolling through it. No matter how you position the map to get a clear view, the minute you let go of the control stick it snaps to the nearest room. It makes it very difficult to navigate in huge rooms because if you try to stop the screen on a certain section of doors, it snaps it back to the center of that room.

I am frustrated everytime I see this

Despite all the strikes this game has against it (especially the controls), it still manages to be a good game. The Metroid formula is always fun and there is barley a dull moment as you get a new ability to play with every 10-20 minutes. The bosses while hard are very interesting and intense. This game is full of tons of nooks and crannies to explore, with hidden items and routes all over. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how much you like to go out of your way to explore. This means that you have to use Samus's scan visor to scan a billion things, which I found extreemly annoying.

I did this at least 5 billion times

On a final game play note, this game follows a trend that a lot of games do nowadays that pisses me off to no end. Unless you beat this game with 100%, meaning you took extra hours to track down every single nook and cranny, you don’t get to see the “true ending”. It’s even worse in Metroid Prime’s case because the true ending is what links this game to its sequel. Nothing is worse than riding a story all the way to its end only to be told you can’t read the last page.

Lasting Appeal
My game saves total time locked in at 12 hours. Since then I have had no desire to go replay this game ever again. If you’re a completionist, then you will get many more hours out of this game than I did.

Final Thoughts
It’s hard to say how others will enjoy this game because I cannot stand the controls. I know some people that give this game endless praise so maybe the controls aren’t as big a deal to others.

If you’re a fan of the FPS genre and are looking for a very fun adventure then pick this game up now. It is by far my favorite analog stick based FPS game.

Gameplay Video
Video is high quality, if its choppy pause it and let it load

Last edited by Seraph; 08-04-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #42
Vegetto
Alive

oh yeah! I forgot I can play this now that I have my own wii

cant wait
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #43
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I recognize that Metroid Prime is a well designed game, but I just can't deal with it because I played through Metroid Prime 3 first. After beating Prime 3, I tried part 1. The first strike against the game is the controls. I just can't handle a game like this in any other way except for the way it was done on the Wii. Another thing that bothered me is that Prime 3 is restricted to the 4:3 aspect ratio and everything feels insanely claustrophobic (mainly the HUD). It's like going from a big helmet with lots of breathing room to one wrapped skin tight to your face. If these two issues were remedied, I'd happily play further into the game. I got kind of far in it, but it just wasn't anywhere near as fun nor as intuitive as Metroid Prime 3 (which anal rapes part 1 and 2 without any lube and doesn't call the next morning).

Metroid Prime 3 rules! It is the best. Anyone who says differently is wrong. But Metroid Prime 1 is still better than Halo. Or Half Life. Or Bioshock. I could go on.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #44
Seraph

Yeah I actually started playing the Metroid Prime series because I wanted to play 3 and felt I should start where the trilogy starts. I had tried to play the first Prime when it was released, but it was just too painful (controls).

I'm playing Metroid Prime 3 right now and its fantastic. I'm reviewing Metroid Prime 2 next so that when I beat with 3 I can review it while its still fresh.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #45
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Dude, that's the ONE good Wii game with well-implemented controls, and you're knocking it in that department? Dude.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote