The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #5896
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Not really. Almost everyone that goes to work is driving on their own.
Yeah but not all buses are packed full. Plus the amount of time you must endure switching buses because they don't all go where you need to go. After all, the picture is titled Space required to transport 60 people and the fact that they are using 60 cars is a lie. I used to take the bus everywhere when I was in high school. So much happier with a car now.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #5897
camac
I feel so good.

It all depends on the context. Alucard I am 100% with you on this man but that picture looks like a old dense European city. Places like that were built before the car came around are much different than the cities most Americans live in. There are some cities here on the eastern side in New England like Boston, Providence, Philadelphia or New York (though that places is on a whole other level) that maybe as dense and walkable as a European city but most places here are built with people driving cars in mind and everything is sprawled out to hell where it just isn't convenient enough for people to walk, bike or use public transit.

I was living in New England a few years back in a nice dense and walkable little city, was able to live car free and walk mostly everywhere I needed and take the bus for other times. It was fantastic and man did we save a whole lot of money on not having a car. And that city's bus schedule was horrible and they didn't have any sort of trains, subways or anything like that, but still because everything was much denser people could rely on automobiles less. Now after losing my job from back then we made the mistake of moving back down to Florida and everything is car centric. You just simply cannot do without a car down here. We didn't even have buses until 2 years ago! Its crazy. Everything is all sprawled out because everyone just has to have a big ol lawn and there are parking lots everywhere. Almost nobody walks, and because of the sprawl, even if you did want to take the bus you still have a long long walk just to get to your stop.

Another thing that'd be a step in the right direction to get Americans more intuned with that idea of driving less would be to stop subsidizing oil, elimate parking minimums and invest in pedestrian, bike paths and transit just as much as we do with roads and highways. but LOL that will happen as soon as pigs fly out of our congressmen's asses and they all decide to have orgies together with said flying pigs. Its just too cheap to drive and park atm, if drivers actually had to pay full price for gas and parking then we just might see some change in their behavior and in the way we build our cities.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #5898
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

I care not for your horrible rendition of good political commentators.

I'd also like the bus more if it wasn't riddled with the poor or, even worse, the elderly with their carts or motorized walkers.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V

Last edited by Drunken Savior; 04-21-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #5899
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camac
Its just too cheap to drive and park atm, if drivers actually had to pay full price for gas and parking then we just might see some change in their behavior and in the way we build our cities.
Bicycle paths won't go very far into the oil subsidization problems. Like you said, it's just not convenient to ride your bike 12 miles or more each way to work. Liberals tend to think of cars and anything that uses fossil fuels as evil and scary. And from what you said it sounds like you hate sprawl, having lawns is bad and driving is too good right now and we need to make it worse so we can justify taking it away. WTF, man?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #5900
javi

I tend to lean towards Joe's point of view. I hate riding the bus so much. I have to schedule my timing to arrive at the bus stop every morning to go to college, and I would miss my time so many times. I try to arrive there at the appointed time at the schedule spells it out for me, and it leaves five minutes early. The people who ride most of the time are, well, normal and boring, and sometimes they're either drunk or loud and obnoxious. Now, I have to wake up 5am to get ready to go to college, arrive at the bus stop 20 minutes early, take a exhausting 45 minute ride to arrive at my class that starts at 8:40am. That's the story of my college life right there.

I don't know how to ride a bike. If I learned, I still wouldn't want to ride it. I know no one in my neighborhood, because I hate my neighborhood. It's like what Joe said, biking doesn't really take you that far. Who on earth, besides Lance Armstrong, would really want to bike somewhere to a location that takes 30-40 minutes to arrive on a vehicle? Sure, it makes me look lazy, but I really don't have the patience to ride a bike. I would rather drive than ride.
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #5901
camac
I feel so good.

The 12 miles is part of the problem though is what I'm trying to get at. Obviously buses and bikes aren't going to do you much good at that distance, but for someone who lives a little closer to their job and doesn't have to drive half an hour to the closest grocery store biking or any other means could really cut down on your transit expense. Sprawl is the problem, it is what causes the excess driving.

And frankly yes driving is too good at the moment, why should we subsidize oil, roads and parking and not say health care for all? I just think we could be spending our money better. Of course what can be said of a country that rather just spend billions running around in the middle east shooting bad guys that always just seem to be replaced anyway. haha but I will admit to being biased! I lived in suburbia most of my life so when I got a taste of dense city life holy crap yes please. No lawn to mow, I could take a 5 minute walk to like 10 different restaurants and of course just the money you personally save from not driving. Look I'm not saying people shouldn't drive ever but if we could cut down how much we have to drive then that'd be great. Even if you still drive everywhere but you live closer to work, shopping, etc you can cut a lot out of your transit expense because you wear your car out less and obviously use less gas. Its not rocket science, it's an obvious benefit to build our cities smarter, more compact and walkable if possible.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #5902
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(•̀ω•́ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
I prefer myself a motorbike for short to mid-range distance. Nothing beats the feeling of riding vehicle with winds blows and all your hands and feet working. Feels good !

For a very short distance, bicycle FTW !

And for long distance, train is preferable than bus for me.
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #5903
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Buy an Electric bicycle that goes at 30 km/h?

http://www.emmo.ca/f6/

One for Joe, with a basket!

The cool thing about these bikes are that they power up the battery when you pedal, you are supposed to use the battery when you are tired and going for longer distance or going up hill. I would love to get one of these.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #5904
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

$995!?!?

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #5905
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
small electric motor and battery are why it is expensive. But their scooters last a lot longer than the e bikes do.

I'm curious to try them since I wouldn't need a motorcycle license to get one.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #5906
darren
... lol

Ahh Peter Cushing .. an awesome actor and clearly harder than Chuck Norris

XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #5907
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Buses are okay, depending on whether you have an asshole bus driver and it's actually on time, instead of the usual 5-10 minutes late routine. Then they ignore someone running to the bus and just drive off and pretend the person isn't there even when they knock on the door, when they're 1 metre away from the kerb. Even if everyone on the bus says thank you when getting on or off the bus they still hate their life and world. Unless you have boobs with blonde hair and big ass or are really old then they'll consider keeping the door open for you. What was I saying. Oh yeah, buses suck ass because of the bus drivers. Doing people a service and getting paid(even if its shitty pay) doesn't mean you're entitled to being a dick head. *shakes head*
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #5908
calintz
thank you based god

calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #5909
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I don't want to live so close to my neighbors like I would in a dense area. I like emitting loud noises and I don't want to disturb others doing it. When there is only 5 or 6 feet between houses, forget it. Police will be called. Enjoyment will be reduced.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #5910
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Isn't Zero G just freeeeeeaky.