The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 12-16-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
XzenoGear
TruE_soNy_paTriOt

Exclamation Maya Software Used in the New Zelda

Alias/Wavefront's Maya software was used to develop the fantastic graphics in Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

ALIAS|WAVEFRONT'S MAYA: THE EXCLUSIVE 3D SOFTWARE BEHIND THE LEGEND OF ZELDA LAUNCH ON NINTENDO GAMECUBE

Ninth entry in the highly acclaimed Nintendo series delivers compelling fresh adventures and sets new standards for real-time artistic expression

Toronto, Canada - December 13, 2002 - Alias|WavefrontTM, an SGI (NYSE: SGI) company, today announced that its Maya? software was the exclusive 3D software package used in the development of the highly anticipated Nintendo game, The Legend of Zelda?: The Wind WakerTM for Nintendo GameCubeTM, which begins shipping today in Japan. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is the first Nintendo? game in which the 3D graphics were created entirely with Maya.

In early previews, game reviewers around the world were astounded by the graphics quality of Zelda, the latest edition of the game from the team led by Shigeru Miyamoto, Director & General Manager, Entertainment Analysis & Development Div., the genius behind Donkey Kong? and MarioTM. Nintendo GameCube consistently strives forward in console power, which means creating more content, at new levels of quality, within production schedules and team sizes that are the same as in the days of the Nintendo? 64 console.

"We're honored that Nintendo has chosen to work with Alias|Wavefront's Maya 3D tool," said Geoff Foulds, Games Marketing Manager for Alias|Wavefront. "Nintendo ranks among the greatest game developers in the world and having Maya as its exclusive tool is a privilege. The Legend of Zelda on the Nintendo GameCube has once again created an entirely new vision of the game experience."

The Legend of Zelda and The Power of Maya With its robust architecture, and advanced Application Programming Interface (API) and the Maya Embedded LanguageTM (MEL), Maya delivered significant boosts in productivity.

MEL, combined with the ability of Maya to run in batch mode, automated many of the repetitive tasks and significantly accelerated art production. The Maya API and MEL made it possible to deliver the functionality of the multiple tools that had been necessary in the old production pipeline. "Standardizing on Maya has a further benefit for the development teams - resources could easily be moved from one project to another - reducing bottlenecks and further accelerating production," said Foulds. "Nintendo was able to work with external sites much more easily, not only elsewhere in Japan but around the world."

About Alias|Wavefront

As the world's leading innovator of 3D graphics technology, Alias|Wavefront develops software for the games, film and video, web, interactive media, industrial design, and visualization markets.

Games customers include Acclaim Entertainment, Inc., Core Design Limited, Electronic Arts Inc., Factor 5 LLC, Kodiak Interactive Software Studios Inc., LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC, Midway Home Entertainment Inc., Naughty Dog, Inc., Nihilistic Software, Inc., Nintendo, Rare Ltd., Retro Studios Inc., Sega Corporation, Single Trac, Sony Computer Entertainment, Square Co., Ltd., Timeline Studios, Relic Entertainment and Westwood Studios.

www.planetgamecube.com

:yikes:

PSN ID: Xzenogear

Last edited by XzenoGear; 12-16-2002 at 12:27 PM.
XzenoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

I'm quite surprise. I would never guess that Nintendo would use such a powerful software for Zelda . They should keep using Maya, Zelda look incredible .
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #3
Dark-SMOKU
find him Dead Or Alive...

great!!!
FF Tactics Advance(GBA), DBZ: Budokai(GC), Tales of Symphonia(GC),
MGS: The Twin Snakes(GC), MGS3:Snake Eater(PS2)
Wishful List:
Golden Sun Trilogy
New DBZ game
Continuation of celda series. (Adult celda LINK!)
Dark-SMOKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 05:57 PM   #4
XzenoGear
TruE_soNy_paTriOt

I suppose, that Maya is the best graphics package known to man!

Old 12-16-2002, 06:01 PM   #5
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Factor 5 uses Maya for Rogue Leader, and that game is a technical feast on all front.
Black Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 PM   #6
Lionheart

Maya is incredibly hard to learn and disgustly expensive ($7000). And it really requires today's best hardware.

The industry's visual idol, Square's Final Fantasy series is created with Maya. Factor 5's successful GameCube launch title Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II is created with Maya as well. Now I know Nintendo uses Maya to do cell shading.

I'm a 3D Studio Max animator, but I sure like to try Maya someday.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:35 PM   #7
XzenoGear
TruE_soNy_paTriOt

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionheart
Maya is incredibly hard to learn and disgustly expensive ($7000). And it really requires today's best hardware.

The industry's visual idol, Square's Final Fantasy series is created with Maya. Factor 5's successful GameCube launch title Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II is created with Maya as well. Now I know Nintendo uses Maya to do cell shading.

I'm a 3D Studio Max animator, but I sure like to try Maya someday.
Which game used the Maya Engine? was it FFX?