The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 12-15-2002, 10:45 AM   #1
gabriel
infinity in finity

A few random thoughts

I just got ahold of the OXM demo disc with PD Orta and Splinter Cell on it, and I've got some comments. Rather than starting a new thread for each, I thought I'd just clump them all into this one.

First of all, Splinter Cell is amazing. It's available now and there's plenty of reviews of it on the net, so I'm not going to talk about it much. Panzer Dragoon, on the other hand, I wasnt as impressed with. I'm still very excited for it, but I was more impressed with the demo of the original PD that was posted here. I'm not quite sure what underwhelmed me to PDO, but it just didnt have much of an impact on me. Of course, this is just the demo, so this is by no means a concrete opinion.

Oh, and one thing that just struck me: PD and Rez are practically the same game! Well, at least the basic gameplay is the same: They're both on rails shooters, in which you can lock on to enemies by holding down a button and then release a bunch of lasers when you let go, or just tap the fire button to shoot single shots. And, in both, you can rotate the camera around to shoot enemies that are around you. There's obvious differences too, but I thought it was interesting how they used the same gameplay structure.

Another random thought: I read a bunch of HotD3 reviews, and they all said that the game controls well, even without the lightgun. After playing the demo, I've found out why! The game is basically an on-rails FPS! So, wouldnt it be cool if Sega gave us full control in the next one, and made HotD4 an all out FPS. If not HotD4, they could make a sidestory that utilized the same theme (like Zombie Revenge).

Your thoughts?
Old 12-15-2002, 12:39 PM   #2
Robo Halloween
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel

Another random thought: I read a bunch of HotD3 reviews, and they all said that the game controls well, even without the lightgun. After playing the demo, I've found out why! The game is basically an on-rails FPS! So, wouldnt it be cool if Sega gave us full control in the next one, and made HotD4 an all out FPS. If not HotD4, they could make a sidestory that utilized the same theme (like Zombie Revenge).

I totally agree with this paragraph.
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:09 PM   #3
Seska

While Sega hasnt done it, Capcom certainly ahs with its Gun Survivor series. And god does it suck. Lightgun games like HotD are great, and FPS games like Goldeneye are wonderful as well... but when you combine the both, ugh. I havent been too impressed with the results yet.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:59 PM   #4
gabriel
infinity in finity

I meant a full-fledged FPS, in lieu of Goldeneye and the like. Except with zombies
Old 12-16-2002, 04:02 AM   #5
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

How about Capcom does a Resident Evil FPS set in the mansion, but with clunky controls!

Seriously though, a HOD FPS with no light gun sounds cool.
I liked the demo of PDO, can't wait for the full game. BTW, I saw a rumor on another board that Smilebit is already at work on Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 for the Xbox. This guy said that he has a German friend who read in a German Xbox magazine that Sega is at work on 7 new Xbox games and one of them is PDS2. I guess all we can do is cross our fingers. I hate to spread rumors, but it is nice to dream.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:11 PM   #6
Robo Halloween
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AtariX
How about Capcom does a Resident Evil FPS set in the mansion, but with clunky controls!

You mean with the same controls as Metroid Prime? Hey that would work!
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 04:37 PM   #7
Ogni
In bed with Sega!

Re: A few random thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel

Oh, and one thing that just struck me: PD and Rez are practically the same game! Well, at least the basic gameplay is the same: They're both on rails shooters, in which you can lock on to enemies by holding down a button and then release a bunch of lasers when you let go, or just tap the fire button to shoot single shots. And, in both, you can rotate the camera around to shoot enemies that are around you. There's obvious differences too, but I thought it was interesting how they used the same gameplay structure.
This is why I LOVE REZ! It's like a mix of PD & Space Channel 5 (ohh well not really...) Well it's like PD with different visuals and great interactive sound! (I think I will play REZ again soon, I love that last area)
Old 12-16-2002, 06:22 PM   #8
gabriel
infinity in finity

I'm a big fan of Rez too. I've got it for DC - cant imagine playing it with those horrid PS2 analog sticks. Plus, whereas on the DC it was a standout title (well, sort of), it got completely lost in the swarm of PS2 releases.

I introduced Rez to a bunch of my friends while we were all high, and it blew everyone's mind It's a great game to play at night, with the lights off, volume up, and headphones on (even while sober ). Like Ogni said, the last level is amazing.

Heck, I think after all this Rez talk I'm gonna hook up my DC and play it

Last edited by gabriel; 12-16-2002 at 06:24 PM.
gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote