The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 10-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
darren
... lol

BioWare MMORPG confirmed as KOTOR 3?

if this is true .. then WooT

Quote:

What we heard: In March 2006, veteran Canadian developer BioWare announced it was opening a satellite studio in Austin, Texas to prep a mysterious massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Within minutes of the announcement, rumors were already flying that the top-secret project was the third installment in the award-winning Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series.

Such speculation was fueled further by the fact lead designer James Ohlen performed the same duties on the original KOTOR and several senior members of the studio worked on the Star Wars MMORPG Star Wars: Galaxies. Also, right around the time of the BioWare announcement, Star Wars license holder LucasArts confirmed that it was approached by developers about working an all-new Star Wars MMORPG, but declined to elaborate.

However, rumors of a KOTOR MMORPG petered out, thanks to BioWare's successful attempts to keep virtually every detail about the game under wraps. Now though, they are back, thanks to Primotechnology's claims--which are the first to directly cite a source with knowledge of BioWare Austin's inner workings.

"A source close to BioWare confirmed to us today that the studio's upcoming untitled massively-multiplayer online RPG will be centered around the Star Wars universe, specifically that of Knights of the Old Republic, which the developer released in 2003," read the report. Primotechnology went on to point out the popularity of Star Wars: Galaxies--which was released in 2003 and drastically revised in 2005--is waning. "It's estimated that the game now has fewer than 100,000 subscribers and less than 20,000 active players," said the site without sourcing the numbers.

The official story: In a recent interview, BioWare co-CEOs Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk steadfastly refused to comment on their MMORPG's subject matter (although they did say it was already in playable form). LucasArts followed suit. "LucasArts doesn't comment on rumors or speculation," said the PR rep tasked with handling the publisher's MMORPG efforts.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus that anything's been officially confirmed. And with only Primotechnology's word to go on, there's not enough for a concrete call either way. One thing is for certain, though: A KOTOR MMORPG would be huge. Besides being the stuff of nerd fantasies, the game would have a good chance of stealing away weary World of Warcraft players by offering both a sci-fi MMORPG alternative and BioWare's impeccable pedigree.

It's also worth noting that when Electronic Arts bought BioWare/Pandemic for $860 million earlier this month, it cited the BioWare MMORPG as one of the three main motivators for the deal. Ironically, such an arrangement could see EA developing a game for sometime-rival LucasArts--which it dwarfs in size--to publish.
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/show_blo...stnews;title;0
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
murray
<insert witty motto>

Star Wars+MMO=Geek central
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
darren
... lol

starwars + anything = Geek central .. does not mean it won't be good if done by bioware
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
murray
<insert witty motto>

im sure it will be good but i wont go near it for fear of turning into comic book guy from the simpsons
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
calintz
thank you based god

MMO = geek central
Star Wars is just a bonus for them...:p

but why?
We all play games, yet people who play MMORPGs are considered more geekier than us who don't...

meh...
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Paper exe
Pwnd

Ok there is way too much math in this thread!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Alucard

The only place alot of warcraft players would migrate to would be warhammer, not a new star wars game.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
sharky~
Out Run Master!

MMO is dead, WoW killed it by being good.. yet shit at the same time.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky~
MMO is dead, WoW killed it by being good.. yet shit at the same time.
WoW setting the bar low since late 2000.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

City of Heroes was the last MMO I really got into, it was far more action oriented than past MMO's I played. I can't stand WoW. I'm really looking forward to Age of Conan, since the unique action styled system is one of the driving points to the game, I was rather upset by the delay, but if it makes it better than I'm fine for it. I certainly hope it turns out well. I love Star Wars, even if they ruined what made the first movies great. There are a fair number of Star Wars games I can still enjoy. Rouge Squadron II, Jedi Knight Academy, Knights of the Old Republic, and Force Unleashed looks quite promising. A Star Wars MMO game could be truly fantastic if done right as there is a lot of material to work with, if not, well...we already know how that goes.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
jojjy_ugnick
Mr All-Beef Patties

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz
but why?
We all play games, yet people who play MMORPGs are considered more geekier than us who don't...
probably because MMORPG players dedicate more of their life to play in a virtual world all day long.
some even play multiple MMORPGs...

Millions of Nerds With Multiple Massively Multi-player Online Role-playing Games. Try saying that ten times fast!
jojjy_ugnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

ugh, this makes me wish I actually liked mmorpgs. I'll of course try it... and I do hope this is the one that hooks me, but so far none has been able to do it for more than a week.
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 AM   #13
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
The only place alot of warcraft players would migrate to would be warhammer, not a new star wars game.
not a chance .. only place they would go is a starcraft MMO
Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Err...i would

I'm waiting for a good Sci-fi MMO since i first played PSO. PSU and RF Online failed miserably. Hope this one is good.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I've had my heart broken by a star wars mmo before but I'll keep looking for that special one.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote