The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 12-15-2002, 01:23 AM   #1
Rubeus

Square officially announced Secret of Mana: New Testament

Square has released new images of their new GameBoy Advance action RPG Seiken Densetsu: New Testament (Secret of Mana: New Testament), the latest sequel of the popular Seiken Densetsu series. There are two main characters in the game, one is a boy and one is a girl. Once you have chosen a main character, the other becomes a supporting character in the game. Seiken Densetsu: New Testament is scheduled for a summer 2003 release in Japan.
---------------------------

Great news, a true sequel to Secret of Mana finally announced!
Rubeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 03:35 AM   #2
8 bit Orgy

sooweeeeeeeeet!
Old 12-16-2002, 12:04 AM   #3
blueskied

The game is not called "Seiken Densetsu: New Testament". This is a bad translation. The Japanese title is "Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu", which means literally "New Promise Legend of the Holy Sword", or, "Seiken Densetsu: New Promise".

The word for 'testament' in Japanese is "isho", so the title would have to be "Shin'isho Seiken Densetsu", which it isn't.

(yes for those who didn't know already, "Seiken Densetsu" literally translates to "legend of the holy sword". Why it is known as "secret of mana" in the USA is anyone's guess. I think the original title is much cooler, as all the games are about a holy sword anyway!!)
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:00 AM   #4
blueskied

Actually, upon further research, I don't know whether the title should be translated "new promise" or "new testament".
The problem is, there is this:

"shinyaku seisho".

This means "The New Testament" (referring to the bible). The "shinyaku" in this is the same "shinyaku" (same kanji) that's in the "shinyaku seiken densetsu" title. However, there is no "seisho" (which literally means "holy book") in the title.

"Yaku" means promise, as in "yakusoku". It can also mean "contract", "agreement", "vow". So just "shin" (which means "new") with this leads me to believe it's "new promise".

HOWEVER, it could very well be an abbreviation of "shinyaku seishou", meaning "the new testament". I've asked a couple Japanese here, and they can't even agree on what it means in English!!:yikes:

I'll keep investigating, as I really want to know. I can't wait to get this game, it's at the top of my wantlist now!!
Old 12-16-2002, 03:40 AM   #5
Neo Otacon

Where would we be without you - your information is always so useful! I too am looking forward to the new SD, since Brownie Brown's at the head of development, right?

Well, I trust your expertise on the translation - beats my 50-kanji memory.
Neo Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:36 AM   #6
camac
I feel so good.

i don't like the look, reminds me of legend of mana, i hope they don't make it ANYTHING like legend
it needs to go back to how it was.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 09:26 AM   #7
blueskied

Ok, I've figured out the correct translation for "shinyaku". It's neither "new testament" nor "new promise"!!!
I found this out after consulting a Japanese christian lady in my town here in Japan who knows this stuff quite well. Unfortunately none of my many dictionaries have anything on this.

Ok, there is the "kyuuyaku seisho" and the "shinyaku seisho". The former is "the old testament", the latter is "the new testament", when talking about the Christian Bibles. However, if you just have "kyuuyaku", it means "B.C.", or "the old era". If you just have "shinyaku", it means "A.D.", or the "new era".

So the title should be translated as "Seiken Densetsu: New era",
or "Seiken Densetsu: A.D.". Probably the "New era", seeing as it's a remake of the first Seiken.

Glad I got all that sorted out! :cool guy: