The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Decado

Oh crap. Torrent law in Canada?

I kinda forgot about the whole torrent law thing (seemed to have blown over). Anyway, I got a email from my service provider saying that they received a complaint about my ISP (downloaded a software program). Oops. So can you get in crap in Canada? I thought it was just the States where some organizations were cracking down (and then it was movies).

Thanks
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

You think the MPAA cares? They'd sue animals if they could.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Your ISP will probably rat you out, start watching your downloads, and then drop you from their service after your imprisoned in a French canadian prison with a guillotine.

Have fun, and watch for the mounties in the showers.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Yes, you can still get in trouble in Canada for downloading certain things.

I know tons of people who have, but they have never gotten sued for it, most just lost their service to use the internet and aren't allowed to order a new account from that ISP.

So one day, they might introduce a blacklist which might stop you from getting a ISP to go onto the Internet I doubt it, but crazier things have happened.

But on another note, I found out a guy on AOL tried to hack my Ebay account and tried to sell things like a house, a car and a boat, cause I got his IP and crap when he tried to recover my Password , he forgot to change my email haha sucker! and when I contacted AOL about it, they said they can't do anything about it! I was like bullshit you can't, he commited fraud, you're supposed to phone the police at least on him! Ebay even sent them the info and they still did nothing.

SCREW YOU AOL! It was probably them that hacked me!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

There are Torrent laws in the US?

I know you can get in trouble to dl a new movie. But that's about it. Oh and music I suppose.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

The problem with torrents is that they leave your IP address wide open when you're downloading.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam
There are Torrent laws in the US?

I know you can get in trouble to dl a new movie. But that's about it. Oh and music I suppose.
No torrents were discussed by the Supreme Court and found to be totally legal. Making it so that we can dl them no problem. Its only the people who distribute the torrents who can get in legal trouble, if its licensed and such.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty
No torrents were discussed by the Supreme Court and found to be totally legal. Making it so that we can dl them no problem. Its only the people who distribute the torrents who can get in legal trouble, if its licensed and such.
But everyone that downloads from a torrent IS distributing them aswell. Though again I thought it was mainly new movies or music. What have you been downloading Decado?
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I think that depends what it is. There's a game called silkroad that they allow you to download their client via torrent instead of from some other server. If it's something that's copyrighted I don't think it's legal to distribute except if they're giving permission to do so

Quote:
But everyone that downloads from a torrent IS distributing them aswell
Not really, it depends if the person is uploading it as well or not. If they're just downloading from seeders then they're not distr. But uploading while downloading, then yes.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Making torrents illegal would be the same as saying, "Hey, you know FTP? That should be banned because you can get illegal stuff over it".

It's a data transfer protocol. It's not the reason why there's so much illegal material on it
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
Yes, you can still get in trouble in Canada for downloading certain things.

I know tons of people who have, but they have never gotten sued for it, most just lost their service to use the internet and aren't allowed to order a new account from that ISP.

So one day, they might introduce a blacklist which might stop you from getting a ISP to go onto the Internet I doubt it, but crazier things have happened.
So, I take it, they just changed their ISP. Still, that is bothersome.

What did they get caught dling? Was it just one warning and you're done, or did they get nabbed multiple times before getting blacklisted?

thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001
But everyone that downloads from a torrent IS distributing them aswell. Though again I thought it was mainly new movies or music. What have you been downloading Decado?
I meant your not the original distributor who did the illegal act of copyright infringement.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #13
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
So, I take it, they just changed their ISP. Still, that is bothersome.

What did they get caught dling? Was it just one warning and you're done, or did they get nabbed multiple times before getting blacklisted?

thanks

They downloaded anything possible! Movies, illegal software, music, you know it, they downloaded it.

some had more then one warning, matters the ISP, some didn't and were just cut off completely and got a letter in the mail saying you broke our contract agreement kind of shit.

But every ISP is different, you're lucky if all that happens is your internet is gone, if the ISP wants to, they can give it to someone that can sue you, cause the ISP doesn't have the right to sue you for copyright infringement, they don't own the rights to it

But to download peerguardian2, it shows if someone is trying to track your torrent and blocks them. So the worst that will happen is like I said, you lose your internet.

but some things you have running might show IPs on PG2, while I was downloading I forgot I had steam running, and it kept bringing that up, I was like oh noes! but luckily the stuff I download nobody cares about hehe.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001
A software program called SPSS (just something I wanted to dabble in so I could say I know how to use it in interviews). That is what I got the email about.

Thanks for the hint about that program, Spider.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

Spider I remember telling you about pg2 and you were like, "wow."
da missinlink is offline   Reply With Quote