The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Diavle

Computer Fudged, help

Sup,

So I was just surfing/dling (as usual) and started watching a youtube video when zing and my pc shutsdown all of a sudden. I turn it on again and a wierdo sound comes from the PC (never heard it before) and nothing comes up on the monitor. A few tries later the monitor switches on and I get the message:

"PC shutdown due to Thermal Error (Overheating)"

Press F4 to go to setup etc.

Can anybody help moi?

I have a P4 2.9 Ghz, running XP.

- Thanks

P.S. I love Kangaroos, such beautiful animals. How they hop around and have that bag thingie, just wonderful.
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
the sound is a motherboard error sound, only comes up if something's wrong.

It's like morse code. Short beeps and long beeps.

But it's exactly what it says what's wrong, your computer overheated. Buy extra fans.

If it was just the graphics card the screen would just freeze but it seems to be either your HDD overheating or your motherboard or the CPU... maybe the ram.

But I'm guessing it's your HDD

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php Download this little program, it will show you your temps for everything, if they're over 60 degrees, turn off your computer for a while and get some more cooling like something that exhusts the heat from the inside to outside your computer.

I found all this stuff out the hard way also had a computer fried from the heat.

get something like this, should drop the heat by 10 degrees at least.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7373&CatId=804

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3560&CatId=495

also try a HDD cooler also, just needs a free DVD drive bay and you put your HDD installed on it and should lower the temp by another 15 degrees.

edit, also, Your computer shuts off for safety reasons, to try and save itself before the heat kills it. so if it happens again, keep it off.

Last edited by spider-prime; 07-09-2007 at 10:48 PM.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Make sure none of your fans crapped out! That happened to me recently and I had to pull out an old fan and put in the older, louder, fan.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah that's what happened to me on one of my Power supplies before, I didn't notice that one of the fans stopped working on it and it crapped out of me
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavle
Sup,

So I was just surfing/dling (as usual) and started watching a youtube video when zing and my pc shutsdown all of a sudden. I turn it on again and a wierdo sound comes from the PC (never heard it before) and nothing comes up on the monitor. A few tries later the monitor switches on and I get the message:

"PC shutdown due to Thermal Error (Overheating)"

Press F4 to go to setup etc.

Can anybody help moi?

I have a P4 2.9 Ghz, running XP.

- Thanks

P.S. I love Kangaroos, such beautiful animals. How they hop around and have that bag thingie, just wonderful.

I'd say check to see if your cpu fan and heatsink doesn't have dust on them, if so try cleaning them out. I'd also see if there's enough of the thermal paste or "goo" under the heat sink, which of course you'd have to take off the fan and heatsink to check.

Quote:
Trying to get on alucards good side?
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

The sound you heard is either a fan or your computers heat alarm. If its the heat alarm you need to check your cpu fan. It could be alot of different components in the computer but if the heat alarm is going off then it's likely something on your motherboard overheating. This is going to most likely be your CPU or the north or south bridge. If you have a temperature probe you can let your computer run for a bit and test to see what part of the board is getting too hot. HOWEVER since most people don't have one of these lieing around and if your sure that the fan on the heatsink is running perfectly it would be a good idea to replace the thermal paste on the cpu.

To do this you put the heatsink in your freezer and do your best to remove ALL the thermal paste off the processor. When the heatsink is cold pull it out and remove all the thermal paste, which should now be easier to remove. Let the heatsink get to room temperature before proceeding. Then apply new thermal paste to the processor (I've heard lots of methods for this but I find just taking an old credit card and spreading it across the processor in a thin layer works best. Remember that too much thermal paste is just as bad as none at all.) Thermal paste is cheap.
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:18 AM   #7
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I use mayonaise as thermal paste.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
spider-prime

But do you use Thermal paste as mayonaise?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
thats what you get for watching pr0n on youtube.
[GamerTag] Brock 5amson
Nano Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #10
Alucard

I'm late to the party! Like they said, check the cpu fan and also checdk the motherboard fan. It'll be on the south bridge which is below the video card. Unless thats called north bridge, but who cares. Some boards have just a heatsink, others have a fan. chances are the fans at either of those two places has craploads of dust. Just open your case and lookie. Prodprod at it with a pen or whatever.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
But do you use Thermal paste as mayonaise?
You've better damn well believe it.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
Diavle

Thanks for all the replies ppl, really appreciate them.

Spidey I used that program and this is what I got:

CPU: 66C
Internal Temp:54C
Remote Temp: 60C
HD0: 42C

Guess I should get some for of coolant huh? I'll open it up to check on the fans later today.

I shutdown the computer after it happened for a couple of hours and put a fun to it, turned it on after and its been working fine for the past 4-5 hours.

EDIT: While typing this post the temps went down to:

CPU: 60C
Internal Temp:50C
Remote Temp: 55C
HD0: 42C

Last edited by Diavle; 07-10-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Alucard

Just open your case and look inside at the fans. If you clean them your temps will go down by 10 or more.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Yeh a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol to get the dust out of the PSU fan and the heatsink.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Alucard

Or just blow really hard