The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 06-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Joker
not Seraph

PS3 is doing as well as X360.

Numbers don't lie and neither do graphs. The PS3 sales only look bad when compared to the Wii.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.....

Fracking trolls.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Does vgchartz track sold or shipped PS3s?

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
memory to zack

I find it logical because early last year the xbox360 was in the same situation as the ps3 is right now.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

This is where M$'s one year head start though takes effect. PS3 could sell hand to hand with the 360 and it wont change the fact the 360 has a year's worth of sales, games, and gamers.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
This is where M$'s one year head start though takes effect. PS3 could sell hand to hand with the 360 and it wont change the fact the 360 has a year's worth of sales, games, and gamers.
Yup. Sony needs to get their ass in gear *fast* before it is too late. Sadly, it seems like all the decision makes at Sony come from the Sloth family
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
memory to zack

The xbox360 had no games and the ps2 was beating it (and still beats both consoles in many place). That didn t bother people from buying microsoft s console. Same will happen with the ps3. More and more developers start supporting the ps3, sony is doing a heck of a work by producing many first quality titles. Wait until the end of the fiscal year and you ll see how healthy the ps3 will be and how worthwile it will be to have one. Combine that with a possible announce of a price drop as well as full completion of the psn and the ps3 would be at a very nice position.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
DBJAY

They should be more concerned about making sure the software sales keep pace with the 360's. Publisher's really don't care about who's winning the console war, they care about their return on investment. Didn't Namco say that had to sell 1/2 million of RR7 in order to make any money? At 20 million a pop for the more expensive games, Sony needs to convince consumers to drop coin on their versions in order to swing more games their way.

Hardware wise, it's a false comparison though. The 360 was supply constrained for months after launch (except Japan), the PS3 is not anywhere it has been released. In general, it's fairly impossibe to do these kind of comparisons because the number of units avail. for purchase is different. Wii for example, is still hard to find in some markets. So would the Wii be outselling the PS3 20 to 1 if the shortages were over worldwide? Would MS have sold even more if they had 5 million units ready for launch? Too many "what ifs" to draw a conclusion.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

The fact that the Wii is selling the hottest just because it's gimmicky and cheaper kinda bugs me. The games just arn't there. The only game I own for the Wii besides Wii play and sports is Zelda and Zelda is the only one I consider a full game.

I just hope that now that the companies can't ignore the Wii some good games will come out next year.

Also I wonder what caused that little spike for the ps3 where it wasn't doing as well as the 360 to where it was doing a little bit better and then leveled off.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Joker
not Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto
Also I wonder what caused that little spike for the ps3 where it wasn't doing as well as the 360 to where it was doing a little bit better and then leveled off.
My guess it's the PS3 release in Europe. You can see the spike is just over 0.5 mil. and the PS3 sold 600k in just two days in Europe. The time scale is in weeks.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Makes sense. Nice observation.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
Numbers don't lie and neither do graphs. The PS3 sales only look bad when compared to the Wii.
It's true, but for different reasons.

The x360 has sold far better in north america than the PS3. However, the PS3 has sold far better in japan than the x360.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
phknrocket1k

I actually think X360 will start tracking ahead now, especially if the PS3 slope stays relatively constant for the most part. The PS3's lead from Week 20 to Week 30 was attributable to the Euro launch and the X360 has just started tracking ahead by 40,000 units.

I predict that it should be firmly ahead by Week 40.

Quote:
However, the PS3 has sold far better in japan than the x360.
The Japanese industry is really a non-issue. PS3 outsells the X360 anywhere from 25,000 to 36,000 a month, while the X360 outsells the PS3 in the Americas by a healthy 75,000-100,000 a month.

Last edited by phknrocket1k; 06-14-2007 at 06:58 PM.
phknrocket1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
GrantXP

This is interesting! but really hard to evaluate. At the end of the day the PS3 started a year behind. It was meant to roar out of the blocks and outsell the 360 with the 360's lead keeping it afloat! Instead it is losing ground to the 360! Even thugh it is tracking the same as the 360! That is a comparative disaster! Sony probably wanted at least a 2:1! I think MS will be happy with that. Wii is simply awesome! What I don't get is where are they. I only know 1 person with one. The games are not good. I am not seeing the appeal, can Wii Sports really capture the imagination that much?
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Wow dbjay somehow i just never really understand your post. I just know they're important so i read them.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote