The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

PC build help, yep Im tired of upgrading my dell.

I decided that with summer coming up and graduation there will be money coming in from my job and from graduation gifts. Ill be assembling a new computer instead of upgrading the piece of shit dell I have right now.

Here's where you guys come in, im not a spec knowleadgable guy but I am good when it comes to engineering, so I can put almost anything together.

Atm I have 200 to spend if there are any sales on parts. I already got the HD(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148142) and I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, speakers everything else I need to buy. The case does not have to look nice, just has to have functionality.

Would someone recommend me components that add up to $800 that would make me a pretty good rig, if you recommend a part but dont want to link it to any website, no problems. Ill shop around for it and piece it together from there.

Something that can possibly be upgraded later on when the requirements for DX10 games go up.

Thanks guys, and Alucard I cant wait till the end of the year but I can wait for 2 months. 3 months would put me at college and I dont want to be working too much when I start my Freshman year.

So I need
-Tower
-Motherboard
-CPU
-GPU (doesnt have to be DX10 compatible, I can deal)
-Ram
-Ethernet/USB jack pci unit
-CD/DVD+R writable drive

Last edited by Zachalmighty; 06-13-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Zachalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Alucard

End of July or around August would be an excellent time to upgrade actually. Thats when theres a few big discounts coming for the intel cpus. Lets see...

DvD drive - Pioneer 212D. Buy anything else and DEATH to you! $34

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129008

Ram- Corsair XMS DDR2-675. 2gigs. $70 Otherwise $113 for DDR2-800 speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145167

CPU - I guess the intel Dual Core2 E6400. I could of said 6300 but thats only $20 cheaper so no point. $187. If you wait till the specials hit in july/august, the quad core intel Q6600 I think it is, is jumping down from $500 to $230. Ofcourse thats an extra $50 so maybe leave that for a future upgrade. Ofcourse the cpu I'm recommending could possibly go down by then.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115004

GPU - This ones a strange one. It'll be your choice entirely. I'm going to recommend the 8800GTS because theres no point buying a cheaper card and then getting the dx10 card later in the year or next year. You'll be wasting it on the cheaper card so zero need. Now theres two ways you can go, the 32mb version or the 640mb version.

320mb version - $284
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122022

640mb version - $360

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127280

You ask whats the difference between both. With most games very little. The two big engines from Valve and ID run the same, no clue about the Unreal 3 engine but I'd suspect it would be no different. Theres only a few games that have a big incease with the 640mb and thats Neverwinter Nights 2, company of heroes, and a couple others. They bounce anywhere from 10fps more to 30fps. Heres a link with mroe info

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...00gts-640.html

As for motherboard, thats a messy one altogether right now. Theres so many ways of going. This is one I'd suggest thats very stable, has a great layout and good cooling control, plenty of room, and a very high list of future upgrade potential in cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130081

$145 for this one. Its the 650i chipset. The newer one with more features is the 680i, but you're going to be going into the mid $200s if you do that. Board already has ethernet usb stuff on it.

I'm not touching the tower however. You need to be careful with those cause the 8800GTS/GTX wont fit in some. Theres a list somewhere of cases that have the room, I'll have to look for it. But make sure the powersupply you pick is 650watts or higher.

SO! wTF have I done above..lemme check. Probably something obscene and expensive no doubt.

dvd- $34
ram- $70
board - $145
cpu - $187
video card - $284 or $360

Also remember theres rebates all over the place for the stuff above. So we come to...
lol $720 or $780 depending on card. Not counting rebates but maybe that'll go down $100. Ofcourse I'm not adding in postage. The case and powersupply combo will most likely reach $200 at most.

Yeah thats a bit expensive. However its a setup that should give you full detail in practically every game for the next 2-3 years with zero problem. Lower a couple details and the pc is set for 4years. I'd be interested in how dx10 games perform on vista with 2 of 4gigs of ram though. Also if you really want you could spend around $150 or something on a good dx9 card, but really thats only $100 or so less. No point if you're gonna replace it in 6-8months.

Thats just way too much effort I did there...
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Thats just way too much effort I did there...
No kidding. MSI is a great brand for motherboards, never had a major problem with them. I personally HATE using and installing intel processors, I've had some major problems with them and I won't buy another. That however is just my personal prejudice.

If I were building this I would probably go with the Athlon X2 5600+ Nice chip with 1mb l2 cache and some good overclocking abilities.

For a board again I agree MSI is probably the way to go. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130050 No SLI on this one but unless you're planning on buying and using two GPU's it's really not needed. I would suggest putting that kind of money into getting a newer video card, and adding a second card later instead of just upgrading the card isn't exactly the best idea either.

If you're interested in actually going this route and need some help picking ram and the rest let me know.
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Since we are on the topic of computers, any recommendations about what I should look for in an Apple computer?

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

Hey thanks Alucard, I was looking into this as well.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
Alucard

I was an AMD whore but the new Dual Core intel chips are far better. So I'm hopping onto the other track now.

No Apple help from me. I have zero clue about them since they arent really games systems.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
Drunken Savior

Apple Computer gurus here are Reality and myself We're just hip like that! ;)

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #8
Alucard

We're trying to get rid of them, give us time.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #9
Drunken Savior

You'll never get rid of us. Too many spoiled children buy iPods! Mwa ha haha!!!!!!!!!!

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
Alucard

Damn kids!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Yeah. Spoiled kids love us. What can I say? Like yesterday I was showing Con's cousin how to make home movies. She got all excited and grabbed her camera and right then started to passionately makey outy with me. All on film. I think she was using the movie making software as a excuse for me to come over cause she knew pretty well how to use it already. As I noticed after our session.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
Alucard

This is a thread about pc parts, not sick fantasies!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
Drunken Savior

I made the soundtrack for their film.

I also wrote the script:

Smut Monger

01 -Int. BEDROOM - NIGHT

A dirty bedroom, with a clean bed with red satin sheets sits in corner. Pizza boxes are strewn about, portraying the character of our protagonist, REALITY. He moves over to the opposite side of the room, where CON'S COUSIN is trying to use her new Apple Macbook Pro to make a movie.

CON'S COUSIN
How do I use this thing?

REALITY
I know how to use that thing.

They make out.

CON'S COUSIN
Do a Barrel Roll!

Roll Credits.

Script Copyright D. Savior, 2007.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The music is what makes it so cool. It just goes really well with your cousin's heavy breathing and groans.

But here is a serious PC question Alucard. I'm been reading up on Dual Graphics Cards setups. I have a 7600GT. Well. If I was install another one of those cards I would have the performance of a 7800-7900. So I was thinking of doing that since I can get a card for under $100. This would give my games a much needed boost while letting me still wait on 8800GT prices to go down. Does it sound like a good plan?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
Alucard

That depends on when you plan to buy an 8800. If you dont plan to in the next year then yeah, o for the second card. Just make sure its the same brand.