The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #61
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Again I will post my feelings on the FF Series, because I have nothing better to do:

1 - Only fooled around with a bit on a ROM.

2 - Only fooled around with a bit on a ROM.

3 - From what I played of the DS version, it sucks.

4 - Amazing for the time, but looking back on it, not any better than a lot of other SNES RPGs like Lufia 2 or Tales of Phantasia. Though I played the PsP version, Star Ocean also is on the same level if no better.

5 - Liked the Job System, everything else kinda tanked.

6 - Personally I feel it is incredibly overrated, though still good. About the same level as 4.

7 - Highly overrated, but still good. Possibly the best on the Ps1.

8 - Mixed Bag. Quarky Combat, but interesting story until said story takes a huge nosedive. Side Characters come off as compeltely worthless (Irvine does nothing after the first disk, and did Selphie ever do anything?). Still, it tried a lot of new things, some worked, some didn't.

Tactics - Pure Genius. Still one of the best SRPGs around.

9 - Terrible. Dumb Characters, Crap Story, Most Random Final Boss in history. And Screw that skill learning system.

10 - Charming, but way too linear. Sphere Grid was good until the game opened up, and then everyone became too overpowered and leaning towards the same.

11 - Hardcore MMO, but with a good class system, and skill chains, felt rewarding for playing.

Tactics Advance - Took everything that was amazing about the first game and threw it away. It wasn't terrible, but when compared with Tactics it was horrific.

12 - Beautiful looking, and great world. Everything else kinda sucked. Liked that the story wasn't "End of the World" but they fucked that up in he end. The characters were emotionally dead, the side characters were ultimately useless. License Board sucks big time. Summons made the game harder instead of easier. Sadly, the Japanese International version fixes all of these, including the story only because I can't follow Japanese perfectly. Almost forgot to mention that the VA work was the best every in a game.

TA2 - Didn't Play, probably sucked worse than TA
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #62
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee View Post
9 - Terrible. Dumb Characters, Crap Story, Most Random Final Boss in history. And Screw that skill learning system.
And here I thought I was the only one. I would add in the painfully slow battle system and cop-out ending. It's down there with 2 & 3 for me.

I would only disagree about the characters, I really liked them.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #63
Alucard

Wait, seraph you hated FF9 too? I thought you liked it for some reason.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #64
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastmonk View Post
To be honest I believe I know the heart of the story. I want to compare it to Kingdom Hearts II, enough is going on physically that doesn't need to be explained. Yeah, you dont chat with people anywhere.
I played through the Japanese version of Crisis Core, same thing. The actions portrayed by the characters was enough to inform you about the story.
yeah but since rpgs are about the largly about the story not sure how anyone can properly review it let alone give it 10/10 with out fully understanding it .. i mean how generic is it compared to other jrpgs etc .. something you won;t actually know until you read/hear it imo .. for me its a bit like a blind guy reviewing the 3d in avatar

Quote:
Yeah, you dont chat with people anywhere.
wtf ?? why on earth not? its an rpg .. lol ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #65
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Wait, seraph you hated FF9 too? I thought you liked it for some reason.
Nope, I didn't enjoy it very much. 2, 3 and 9 are the only FF games I don't like. The only reason I beat 9 was for completions sake and to see the story to the end. I toyed with the idea many times to quit and watch the ending on Youtube.

I was not very keen on the world/setting in the first place, but after sitting through a billion or so slow-as-molasses battles and going through 90% of the game with crappy equips until my characters grabbed the abilities off them..... I just couldn't take it anymore. When I got to the end and they did the "mysterious greater evil controlling behind the scenes" swap crap, and then handed me an ending that opened up more lose ends than it tied......
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #66
Northeastmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
yeah but since rpgs are about the largly about the story not sure how anyone can properly review it let alone give it 10/10 with out fully understanding it .. i mean how generic is it compared to other jrpgs etc .. something you won;t actually know until you read/hear it imo .. for me its a bit like a blind guy reviewing the 3d in avatar

wtf ?? why on earth not? its an rpg .. lol ..

The roles the characters have combined with effort and emotion of every cutscene tend to give a large part of the story away. I'd say older rpgs need the influence of an interpretor, but in FFXIII's case. I believe the story has such a linear path that it never stops to get complicated(love themes, or a story you can't easily understand). Outside the character build, which I am the most uneducated about. I feel that I am aware of the events, but am unaware of the actual scope of the game's story.

There really isn't a connection to the people, unless its blurbs and comments. I feel the communication aspect is put more towards the cast rather then the world.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #67
Alucard

Its sounding like the story is rather simple and straight forward if you understand the basics.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #68
memory to zack

I read people that played the game and understand japanese that the story is convoluted and lots of stuff are going on simultaneously. In the beginning you don't understand why Lightning, Sazh and so on do what they do and many terms are only later explained. So still more or less what you expect from FF since IV.

I will miss towns, but not NPCs. Saying 1-2 phrases you'll quickly forget with the exception of important NPCs with which you can have some sort of conversation. I prefer if everything (info, funny stuff) is told through (interactive) cutscenes and codex, not having to speak to every single NPC for that.

I tried twice to get into FF9 but couldn't. I reached up to early 3rd disc and stopped. Besides Vivi and Steiner all other characters sucked. That oglop Cid, ughhh. The queen of Alexandria, Kuja... wtf?! Only things I liked were the chocobo digging and the auctions.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #69
Alucard

I think I would of enjoyed FF8 sooo much if I played itin japanese and didnt know what was happening. Translated made me want to kill people.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #70
memory to zack

The big crime for me of FF8 was the drawing system, the story less. I liked the story tbh. That took a lot of enjoyment from me even if everything else had been perfect. I found everything perfect in FFX except the CTB system, it took a hunch of my enjoyment away.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #71
Northeastmonk

One thing I’d like to add about FFXIII is you can have a different leader, but only one character is controllable during combat. I don’t think I made that clear in my review.

Bayonetta – PS3

Outside of loading issues (which don’t affect combat whatsoever) Bayonetta runs just fine on the PlayStation 3. Hideki Kamiya made one hell of a game. Not only do you feel the impact and references from his previous work and so forth but Bayonetta includes some of the largest and longest boss battles that I have ever seen. Just don’t get the impression that I like this more then DMC. I’m not hating or bashing.

Story: Bayonetta is an Umbra Witch, forced in a feud over 2 stones. One stone belonging to the sages and the other with the Umbra witches. During the beginning of the game you realize that Bayonetta doesn’t remember her past and the question of why she is fighting these angels in the first place is still unclear. I still don’t understand why these Angels look so demonic. The story is sort of boring, but the epic boss battles make the film reel cut scenes a bit easier to sit through. I personally never liked the film reel theme.

Gameplay: Devil May Cry style action. A move list that moves twice as fast as DMC and the switch between weapons mimics that of DMC3. If for some reason you are looking for an excuse to put down DMC3SE, this is the game. The bosses are huge and some of them take an entire chapter just to fight. The presence of arcade inspired levels *Hang On & After Burner* feel forced. It’s as if they needed fillers and thought of old Sega games. Give me ShenMue’s motorcycle sequence any day of the week over this kind of gameplay.

Graphics: Although the battle system is enjoyable, the graphics are about on par with that of early next gen titles. Some levels look amazing, while some tend to be bland and dull looking. Not that I care about which scene was in game and which was rendered completely, but some character models and some levels look similar to that of DMC, like PS2 quality. For example, the level in DMC3 where Dante escapes time and gravity (forgot the name or chapter) is so much more enjoyable then Bayonetta’s toned down re-imagining of the concept.

Sound: The cast is comparable to DMC, but nothing spectacular. If you can enjoy the constant random quirky humor and repetitive music you’ll be just fine. I was hoping they would include the song from the NA commercial (NOPE!), but instead they play “Fly Me to the Moon” repetitively (very annoying if you ask me). The soundtrack is included by in game means. In my opinion it’s more convenient to have a hard copy. There is a progression menu that uses a map, the theme playing reminds me of so many Capcom games.

Score: 8 out of 10

Overall: Bayonetta has some very enjoyable combat mechanics and some unique storytelling. But the annoying music, level design mechanics, and storyline keep it from reaching the level of Devil May Cry. I also would like to make a point about the so called “raunchy” sex theme everyone is talking about. It’s not that shocking. I personally find God of War’s mythological nudity more enjoyable.

Recommend: I finished the game in 11 hours, unlike some reviews that mentioned 17-20. My advice to those who run through DMC and Ninja Gaiden Sigma without a problem to simply rent this title or wait till the price drops. The extra content is not worth paying full price.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

I’m a dedicated fan of the series. I don’t say too much about it but I really enjoyed Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. But when it comes to versions I’ll pay for and enjoy, well it’s definitely not the cell shaded Zelda. I try not being bias and simply enjoy it as an entry level in the series. But from now on I’m just not going bother with cell shaded Link unless Nintendo forces me to, like Windwaker.

Story: Link (if you named him that) is a train engineer who just got his license. As he talks to Zelda they become aware of a possible threat for Hyrule and the spirit tracks, which are tracks that connect villages to temples and Hyrule castle to etc Zelda also aids Link in his journey as a ghost, so you get some extra help during dungeons. And thus starts the journey to destroy the person for making the tracks disappear and bring peace once again to Hyrule. It’s a tough story to enjoy if you hate trains IMO.

Gameplay: Since it is on the NDS you won’t be controlling Link with the d-pad, but with the touch pad instead. You point and slice to attack, blow air into the DS mic for various usages, and wonder around aimlessly while operating a train. Riding the train does get boring after a while and is one of the reasons I haven’t finish the entire game. Boss battles are fun, but the game doesn’t come close to its big brothers. Zelda also helps you along the way, since she can possess statues found in dungeons. And controlling her does get frustrating at times. I don’t know how many times I ran her into something and had to redraw her path.

Graphics: Some of the best I’ve seen. Even though the scale is very small you can see a great amount of detail the core of the game reveals. Don’t expect to see more then trains and basic Zelda themes.

Sound: A very basic Zelda score for this DS version. Not that it’s bad or anything, but not as epic as I am used to.

Score: 7 out of 10

Overview: I like my Zelda large and on a console. I’m not trying to bash this DS game, but this was my first choice before picking up anything else. I was impressed once the game progressed to boss battles, but I was easily disappointed when all it came down to was traveling from dungeon to dungeon using the train.

Recommend: I’d say get it used or real cheap if you seriously need a Zelda fix before the next major title comes out.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 02-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #72
Alucard

I'd agree with your Bayonetta review actually. 8/10 is pretty much what I'd give it, for the same reasons too. Although I stopped playing it about 60% in. Just lost all interest in its style.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #73
Northeastmonk

Thanks for reading and I hope you keep reading my reviews. I’d also like to encourage any comments, questions, or complaints you may have about my reviews or what I say period.

Mass Effect 2 - PC

Although a very dark and depressing game, Mass Effect 2 tops off at being a very great game.

Story: Commander Shepard has a new mission, other then his previous work. He has done a great deal for the universe. And from Intel given to him by his new employer Cerberus, it is clear that he will need the best the world has to accomplish his new mission. The story is very easy to understand and pick up. However; the game doesn’t go too far in terms of storytelling. New players can enjoy it from start to finish.

Gameplay: Much better then Mass Effect. The large weapon and skill screen is gone, plus the core of combat is polished so well that you and you’re squad will focus more on pushing through the line and combining strategy. I wouldn’t consider this a turn based FPS, but more like the best story driven RPG-FPS that money can buy. Like the traditional style of a BioWare RPG, the game puts you in charge of command. Making decisions for the fate of your fleet is satisfying and enjoyable.

Graphics: It really doesn’t go far beyond the detail that Mass Effect 1 had, but considering the game has been upgraded. It doesn’t feel that you’re playing the same game. New environments, characters, and locations feel fresh. That’s if you had played through the first game. Minor detail to some missions, but really nothing to complain about.

Sound: Gun blasts rank the top of my list, next to the Gears of War series. Otherwise a decent soundtrack.

Score: 10 out of 10

Overall: I enjoyed the game myself; I found a few minor problems. Mining for minerals is very boring and the missions are almost the same all around, not that they mimic one another, but a nonlinear/linear path has its own problems anyway you look at it.

Dragon Age: Origins - PC

You sit down and play Dragon Age: Origins and the next thing you know you’ve been playing for 5 hours straight.

Story: A threat against a nation, or should I say clan. Foreign countries collide in an epic tale about an Arch demon. A demon that can raise up an army of monsters to destroy whatever peace the kingdom had once known. Dragon Age: Origins has a lot of depth outside of the main plot. The story has flavor, adult themes, and there is also plenty of looting to do.

Gameplay: Once you have made you’re way through the character selection. You play through an epilogue, which adds so much to the traditional plot you’ll be up against once it’s finished. The game plays like older table top rpgs, but in this case. The game moves faster, has a large amount of strategic combat decisions, and even finishing moves. The game is tough, you have to be thinking in order to survive. I can only understand buying this game for the PC. But the pause menu and a few clicks of the mouse will make you feel right at home with the game’s interface.

Graphics: Not too far from competing with games like The Witcher, loadings screens take some fun out of the game. And a few repetitive textures are some of the problems I found within Dragon Age: Origins. Overall, the world map and characters are all memorable to say the least.

Sound: Quite enticing. Each score fits in perfectly and the character voices are pretty good actually.

Score: 10 out of 10

Overall: I think the last two games from BioWare have been very good. I am certainly recommending these games and hoping for more!

Dante’s Inferno – PS3

If anyone is familiar with the literary art that is The Inferno, then please read this review before you purchase this title. Or unless it’s under $20 then be my guest.

Story: Dante has come back after a brutal war. Not only to find his lover dead, but to realize he hasn’t been such a nice guy in his life. Dante is killed, brought to hell to protect his lover from marrying Lucifer in the Inferno. The story is classic, but the game tries so hard to deliver the message in each circle that the theme of each is almost cheesy. I tried to understand each circle, but it was as if they had made more of a mess with the detail then delivering a nightmarish atmosphere. If anyone is familiar with God of War, the part where Kratos is cast into Hades is almost exactly like some parts of the inferno. I felt more like I was in hell playing the game, then experiencing the entire concept of the game.

Gameplay: Although Dante jumps exactly like Kratos. The scythe given to you by death is fun and the combat does allow fluid versatile mechanics. You can juggle enemies, grab, and perform magic. However when you reach the green and purple chest at each save point, I am quickly reminded of the beauty of the same exact thing in God of War. Why don’t I just turn this off and wait for God of War 3!? I asked myself a few times. Why am I wasting time wanting to fight Satan, when the more prestige version of hell is almost a year away (Diablo 3, Doom 4). When a company sets a standard, it’s very hard to not compare this to the example. I like Visceral Games. I just wouldn’t like to put all my effort into enjoying this outside of what’s to come.

Graphics: While Wayne Barlow may know what a biological hell may be like. Dante’s Inferno has its problems. The fire realism is there, but the screaming souls on the walls look like an mpeg being played over and over. I’ve heard that games like Black use a video reel to display bullet shells coming out of a gun instead of programming each shell. This may or may not be true, but I found some environments to be rehashes of previous ones.

Sound: Screams, shouting, and a mediocre list of literary references still doesn’t help this game at all.

Score: 5 out of 10

Overall: If you want a game with a decent combat system, pick up Dante’s Inferno. If you don’t want a skeleton left in your gaming closet, then I advice you pass.

BioShock 2 – PS3

I would of never of guessed a sci-fi spin off so soon.

Story: BioShock 2 starts you off in the role of the Big Daddy. The drill, the constant reminder you’re twice as big as you were in the original BioShock, and the story. You have been resurrected to find out who is in Rapture and the problems still occurring. In this case it’s Rapture’s famous psychiatrist Dr. Lamb. Familiar with you’re problems and the little sisters. You are once again forced to come to terms with why Rapture is a complete mess. Honestly. The entire story is so focused in on the Big Daddy and Little Sisters, until it’s not even a matter of what may happen if BioShock 3 is made. BioShock 2 feels like a prologue to BioShock, rather then a sequel.

Gameplay: As a Big Daddy you are granted access to more weapons. Like the drill, a new hacking gun, and really that’s about it. Plasmids are the same. You can pretty much set a course with the drill and shotgun and finish the game within a couple days.

Graphics: The entire city of Rapture is almost identical, if not toned down to that of the original. The life within the city is the same in terms of graphics. I did notice more quirky scenarios that clustered the graphic scheme. I personally found BioShock 1 to be better orchestrated in terms of detail and graphics. Units and sections of BioShock 2’s Rapture quickly reminded me of the hell that was the last hour or so BioShock 1 was (Big Daddy).

Sound: Same stuff as before. The AI was a nice touch, but I spent most of my time listening to the whistle of bots and shotgun blasts.

Score: 7 out of 10

Overall: BioShock 2 starts off smoothly, but a couple hours later it becomes a boring mess. You get a sense of accomplish and freshness towards the end of the game, but after playing games like Assassin’s Creed 2 and Uncharted 2, this sequel really doesn’t break any new grounds or do too much good in my opinion. Maybe if the series has a few more titles I can see putting this story within the pack, but I’m not ready to give this game too much credit when the story can’t break it’s own problem half way through the game.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #74
Alucard

RAPID FIRE REVIEWS!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #75
CongoJack
me fail english thats unpossible

Thanks for the reviews Northeast, always appreciate reviews from people who want to play games rather than people who are paid to play games. You saved me $100 on Dante's and Bioshock.
CongoJack is offline   Reply With Quote