The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #16
Kiryu1985
Communist

hey hey hey, I read your stuff, its only 1 comment, besides this is the internet, you're bound to piss someone off, I mean just look at my Animal Crossing review thread.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Paper exe
Pwnd

................Don't you think you went...a little pit too far because of one small comment from one person!? 0_o

Quote:
hey hey hey, I read your stuff, its only 1 comment, besides this is the internet, you're bound to piss someone off, I mean just look at my Animal Crossing bashing thread.
Ohh I almost forget about that. I better make a replay for it soon!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!1!!1!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #18
Vegetto
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastmonk View Post
FYI I knew that. The habits of DBZ fans are to criticize those who make small mistakes. Thanks Vegetto. It shows the universe you love DB!! Happy Holidays. You Blow!
Quote:
No more reviews from me. Too many fanboys ruining the feeling.
....Are you serious?

wow....

and no double posting, n00b
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #19
Northeastmonk

Clive Barker's Jericho

Story - Six supernatural human beings begin a search of the evil inside a lost city called "Al Khali". The game takes twist and turns and begins to feel like another hellraiser movie. The characters seem weird and not original. More like a "Girl Interupted" sci-fi thriller. God also had a prototype baby before us everyone! He hated him so much.
7 out of 10

Graphics - Gorry and brutal. It feels great sometimes, but sometimes the dakrness covers everything. Plus the levels have no detail besides textures.
It doesn't make me feel like I'm in a place of pure 100% evil either.
7 out of 10

Gameplay - You have to use all six characters during battle and to move around Al Khali. The changes are easily configured for enjoyment. I do think the biographies of each character help enjoy the game a lot more.
7 out of 10

Sound - Creepy. Steve Blum's in it.
8 out of 10

Rent this game, its short and not worth the cash.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 05-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #20
Vegetto
Alive

im tired of overpriced games having 5-10 hours worth of gameplay

rip off
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #21
Soba
:D

Quote:
Sound - Creepy. One man made this game great. "Steve Blum" You'll recognize this man's voice and drool.
So, Spike Spiegel's in it?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
Vegetto
Alive

Love him, good voice actor
Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

i liked tenkaichi 3, but i'm not that huge of a dbz fan. so it was passed on to my step-son who tried to clean it with tooth paste lol. ruined a good game.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #24
Northeastmonk

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Story - Drake is the anscestor of Sir Frances Drake. A famous explorer/treasure hunter. Drake ends up finding recolections of his ancestor's discovery and begins searching for their remains. 9 out of 10

Gaphics - Breathtaking 9 out of 10

Gameplay - Fantastic, My hands were sweating during the more altitude pushed levels. And an amazing battle system. Way better then TR's control setup 9 out of 10

Sound - Right to the tee sound effects and really cool gunshot noises.
9 out of 10

Rent or Buy - Uncharted has some great features, but they all come at you so fast, until you wondered what you did the last 8 hours. Rent

This review was short, considering this has to be the 2nd shortest game I've ever played. The Bouncer being the first. I'm not a ZOE fan, so that doesn't get #2.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 01-31-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #25
Northeastmonk

New Scoring System Coming Soon

I doubled it up for the sake of readers. I liked this game a lot.

Devil May Cry 4 - the 20 Minute installation(PS3) edition.

Story - Dante is back. The demon hunter places himself in another epic journey and this time he has Nero, a young protagonist who resembles Dante in many ways. The story is about a cult who worships Dante's father Sparda. And how weird and collective they are about their practices. Nero happens to be an enemy of Dante's. 8 out of 10 There is a love story.

Gameplay - Fast, action-packed, button mashing masterpiece. The Lost Souls option (for DMC fans) offers players a chance to get what they want from their first run of the game. Nero has a demonic arm, which allows him to pick up enemies either to retract or smash into the ground. The concept sounds old, but has many twist and combo options. 9 out of 10

Music - The same dude who pumped us up in DMC3 is back. And the new theme song is actually the best toon I've heard besides Uncharted's interior soundtrack. Nero's voice is actually quite interesting. Dante's voice is perfect. He's aged and still knows how to diss someone.
8 out of 10

Graphics - Smooth and crisp. The graphics appeal for fans and nonfans a like. Not that you need to understand geography of DMC or anything. Which is new and fun. Don't expect an open world environment. What you see is what you get and how many times you want to go back and forth. DMC4 has the largest layout of any DMC to date. 8 out of 10

Final Grade: 8 out of 10

Rent or Buy? - Buy it for sure if you liked the previous DMC games. If you can't force yourself to jump into the series yet. Check it out. The pre-load screen allow players a chance to read a short summary of the series, plus its unlockable.

Finish time - 12.5 hours on medium(Demon Hunter) but there is a Human (easy) mode. I am playing it on hard right now. And The extra content is pretty cool.

Note: There isn't another campaign "as Dante". Like Virgil in DMC3SE. Its not like that matters because IMO the game ROCKS!

Next title I plan on reviewing is Mistwalker's Lost Odyssey.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #26
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Good review. Can't wait to hear about Lost Odyssey.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Not to derail the thread, but haven't you said multiple times you were tired of JRPGs and their cliche'd stories/characters?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #28
Northeastmonk

IMO I do think Lost Odyssey is for the old FF fans.

I dont seem to cliche gaming in general like I sound. I agree I do bash JRPGS a lot. I do because I feel the genre has gone in too many bad directions. Either its not on my "Square-Enix" fan list or it doesn't have the 30+ hour appeal to me. I usually give it a go. I do admit however that some RPGs I've played. It took me to about Level 10 to declare it trash.

This is because:
1. I've witnissed too many "good" rpgs.
3. Replaying PSOne RPGS sounds more entertaining.
4. The game accounts for paying off a reservation.

Why I'm bipolar on the subject:
1. I do take advice and play different RPGs.
2. I try RPGS that come across as an "Anime Fan" style.
3. Developing house history.
4. My love for games in general.

I may not see the appeal of JRPG like I did when I was a teenager, but the JRPG genre is one of my favorites.

For instance: Shadow Hearts, MS Saga, Dot.Hack, and Tales of the Abyss. Not one of them would entertain me like Chrono Trigger/Cross did. I diss them all and still love JRPGS!

I like Mistatee's list of reviews. Because he has a taste for talented work. This brought up some issues I'm facing with my title preferences. Thanks.
because If I went out and bought Growlanser. I'd probably be kicking myself right now.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 11-07-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #29
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee View Post
Not to derail the thread, but haven't you said multiple times you were tired of JRPGs and their cliche'd stories/characters?
Yeah but the review and Gametrailers said it was a breath of fresh air for RPG fans, and I still consider myself an RPG fan. They could be lying though.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #30
memory to zack

On a sidenote, it΄s been said a lot that Kaim is the typical effeminated hero with the big sword and troubled past, but personaly I don΄t find him effeminated at all (thin=effeminated these days?? No wonder when the trend is that of building massively huge muscles, and we get a huge amount of such guys in videogames to the point where it΄s really becoming irritating) nor is his sword huge, it΄s the typical 2-handed sword. From what I΄ve read, not a single reviewer called it the typical, clichιd jRPG, but mentioned that gameplay-wise its plays like the traditional old-school jRPGs.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote