The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 06-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
Northeastmonk

Northeastmonk's Reviews

Okay. My reviews are based on a 1 through 10 basis.. 1 being bad and 10 being GREAT! "I'll focus on scoring key factors, which I thought need to be broughten out."

My first game I'd like to review is Dawn of Mana for PS2. I've read too many reviews bashing this game. An FAQ walkthrough is very hard to find on the internet.
Ok here it goes...

The game makes a wonderful presentation from the birds flying across the screen like a Flash project. The game has 2 modes, the main story, and the battle mode. I just wanted to play it, so I picked Main story (campaign).

The story takes place in the world of Illusia. The spirits have come together to converse with one another about a great war that took place 1,000 years ago. Which most people know, is about the great Tree of Mana. The main character "Keldric", is a spunk blonde haired kid who was sent across the ocean as a baby. The town he llives in, (which you NEVER see) is his new home. His best friend is part of the military group of his town and his so called "girl-bestfriend" is Ritzia, a beautiful girl who is fond of nature.. It gets deeper when the evil spirits try and take over the tree and most of its power. I wont spoil it.
Story - 8

The gameplay is very fun if you like taking risk with your character's life. You have to use your whip to fling objects on enemies. This confuses each enemy with a countdown status above their heads. Then you receive points, which levels Keldy up. The thing that sucks is that Keldy is back to level 1 each Chapter. Unless you unlock some of the game's medal options.

Gameplay - 5

The graphics are beautiful, Not FF12, but beautiful. The camera can somehow leave you in a blindspot. I was caught numerous times fighting enemies then getting caught by huge boulder in my way.

Difficulty - laughable if you cant beat this game in a week. I say that because Hard more is only selectable after beating Normal mode. The boss battles are quite fun.

Multiplayer - I don't see using a 2nd controller just to cast magic.

Should you get this game or not?
If you like the mana series and want to see it in 3D action game, go ahead and buy it.

People who love Square-Enix - Rent it!

If you're not quite sure on playing this or not. Either rent it or play Kingdom Hearts II.

Time it took me to complete the Campaign - 15 hours.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 03-02-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
Northeastmonk

The Darkness

Story - The story is "The Darkness" for those who have read the comic books you should enjoy it. The extra content in the game has Issue #1 of The Darkness for those interested. Besides being a tale of love and death, the story stands proudly over most comic book to game plots. The whole game moves with Jackie and Jenny (BF & GF) against the mafia. The Darkness is sadisticly clever and will make you have nightmares if you're not used to such a dark side of things. - 8

Gameplay - Glitchy, but satisfying. Stealth attacks and mafiastyle shootouts were cool the first couple times before it got old. Jackie can only use the Darkness in the darkness you must shoot out lights everywhere to maintain your power. This can be frustrating and annoying if you hate focusing a lot. I was able to have my laughs and frustrations with the control scheme. The weapons make up for the crappy AI in The Darkness. I'm not going into the Darklings, the concept is simple to understand. They help you out if you use their power like you should. 8

Graphics - Visually stunning! Watching a full version of "To Kill A Mockingbird" on a ingame television set was brilliant. The level design sucked since all you do is walk around the same area over and over. Characters around the New York area either piss you off or dont do anything at all. Besides all the negativity; I say its a relaxing touch if you haven't been happy graphic-wise in a long time. 8

Mulitplayer - I can't run it online and have no friends who want to play it with me.
*Looks great from what I've seen on youtube. ?

Sound - The rock music is so annoying because it hurls itself ontop of your head like a slime bucket on Nickelodean. The main theme is quite relaxing though. 5

Should you get this: Only if you like playing multiple difficulties on an "okay" FPS.

My two cents: This game could of been better. The graphics made the story really cool. The story and the darkness popping out on both sides of Jackie make it an okay game. Don't spend $60 on it, go out and rent it! trust me!

Time it took me to complete the campaign: 10 hours or so

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 07-03-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
Northeastmonk

Vampire's Rain doesn't deserve a review. The game absolutly SUCKS! Its horrible. The enemies run like they were out of the late 60's cartoons.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - My review is short.

Graphics - Amazing. It was Deja' Vu with great graphics 9

Gameplay - The same brilliant sword style as NG on Xbox. The new bosses were tough, but the new arsenal of weapons added great replay value. Rachel wasn't as balanced as Ryu. The added difficulty shows itself very clear. 9

Story - The Dark Dragon Sword vs. Ryu Hayabusa (Super Ninja). The content made the story even better then the original - 8

Rent or Buy? Buy it!

Time it took me to complete - 11 hours (Not including the Missions)

What suprised me, is that the new "levels'' were not different, mainly the same area with a new boss. I felt bored fighting with just Racheal's Warhammer, and her hookshot sucked.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 11-29-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
Northeastmonk

Sorry nothing new. I plan on reviewing around 5 different titles before Christmas.

It sucks Mass Effect was pushed to November.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Northeastmonk

okay i'm doing this shorter now... BioShock gets a 9.5 for everything. The .5 loss was the Ai looking the same at every corner.

Shin Megami Tensi: Persona 3 gets a 8 out of 10 for being a complete sim and having a great soundtrack.

Eh.. BioShock IMO is a must have. P3 if you're a fanboy of anime. I'm saying farewell to the Shin Megami Series. Its a taboo for players to follow. Who cares..
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olé!

A great soundtrack is always a huge plus in my book. Bioshock failed to grab me and I am not a fan of FPS, but for some reason I enjoy the DS and Wii versions of Metroid Prime.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Northeastmonk

Mass Effect Review

I finished this game as John Shepard. The gameplay was amazing. I understand some people see this title as a knock off of Star Wars. Its in a way, a new Star Wars. The characters have their own ethnic background and the story is epic.

Story - Needs to be a triology to confirm the power of this title. 9 out of 10.

Gameplay - KOTOR equipment meets a new way to view action RPGS. 9.5 out of 10. The only reason to discard the battle system is lack of plasma options. Seems like the options are open, but not outstanding in customization of weapons.

Graphics - The planets look amazingly detailed. Landing on deserted and issolated planets reveal a great depth into the universe. The texture loading takes the detail to great lengths by adding a sandy finish to the walls.
9 out of 10

Sound - Amazing soundtrack. I feel the main theme played itself quite a bit.
9 out of 10

Pick up or rent - Pick it up if you're a fan of KOTOR or BioWare. The game is sure their best work. It is a 25 - 30 hour storyline and tons of sidequest. Finishing the main story does not touch the massive universe that Mass Effect offers.

Manhunt 2 (Playstation Portable Version)
Summary - Danial Lamb wakes up in an instittution with open security doors and a dead body lying next to him. His only way to escape is to listen to Leo and find out what happen to him. 7 out of 10

Gameplay - The game takes aspects of Manhunt and totally adds a stylish approach to the action genre. The killing game could not be as more user friendly and allows fans of the GTA series to join into the action. adding fire arms is the best thing Rockstar added to this series. The GTA run and gun makes way for some stylish kills. Or cheap ones.

7 out of 10

Story - The story may have its twist, and sometimes the plot does not change, but adds levels of random villians of the list to kill. The game plays a role into messing with your emotions. The story does make way for a night of killing.

7.5 out of 10

Graphics - Lets just say, Way better then the original. The editing part is where I was pissed. The scenes of death were entertaining. The AO ban, which made the screen filter death scenes, made the game a little less enjoyable.

8 out of 10

Rent or Buy - Rent this one.

Halo 3 gets a 7 out of 10. I'm done with the Halo series.

I will review the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed very soon. I gave it up to play Mass Effect.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 11-29-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Northeastmonk

I'm trying to quit smoking, so bare with me if my reviews smell of anger, Cocacola, and sunflower seeds. lol
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Alexander
I speak with codes.

You liked Manhunt? Wow.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastmonk
The editing part is where I was pissed. The scenes of death were entertaining. The AO ban, which made the screen filter death scenes, made the game a little less enjoyable.
How do they filter the death scenes? As in completly cut them out? Blur the picture while it happens?

I am very curious how Rockstart got rid of that AO rating.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #11
Northeastmonk

The language stayed the same. The death scenes. Imagine watching the same death scenes from the trailors. Then place a filter (like a Video effect in Adobe) of red, blue, and white over the character(s). Then have the Manhunt 2 eye turn around after each kill. It was like they were in front of an x-ray machine. I enjoyed the horror-themed killing sim more then I thought. And I did not like the original Manhunt.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare- PS3 version

Theme: Terrorist taking over Germany. Forces collide in an action packed FPS.

Story: Having a terrorist from the Middle East was the only reason I wanted to play this title. The environments and conversations among teemmates made the game seem short, but took its time to pan out. The intro felt more missleading once you actually got to play the game. 8 out of 10

Graphics - The levels were sometimes huge, but sometimes small. I would feel lost when gunfire was blasting everywhere. The gunfire only got annoying when all you see is an AK47. The smoke processing (forgot the term) was cool. It also made gun battles more realistic
9 out of 10
I just hate how the envirnoments add so much depth, but you won't see too many changes on how the interier of each house look.
Gameplay - Fun, another FPS. After playing so many FPS. This shooter got old after 2 hours or so. The fun was watching all the actions.
If its not the montage of the same gunshots. Its the mortar of bullets that shower over you. 8 out of 10

Rent or Buy - Rent. The campaign will take about 2 days. If you want COD online, I mean.. really want to play days on in of COD4 then buy this game.

Time it took me to beat it: 12 hours.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
Northeastmonk

DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - PS2

General Idea - DBZBT3 is a fighting game with every single storyline from the DB/Z/GT series. It doesn't go into great detail on every saga, but the content provided is worth picking it up, if you're a fan of DB whatsoever. I'm a huge fan of the series.

Gameplay - The characters move on screen like they should. The button controls are almost "too stupid". I mean, one button does the melee attacks, one does the ki beam/super moves, one does a parry movement, and so forth. Its a great concept if you know the moves. There are tutorials on the moves if you get pounded by someone who seems amazingly good at pounding your character into the ground. The only problem this game suffers from, gameplay wise, is the stupid mini games they make you go through during a "VS" screen. Rotating the analog stick felt like I was ruining my controller and pressing buttons during a clash of fists and kicks felt like a waste of time, due to the immense action that can take place in one battle.
7 out of 10
Controls - The game is no competive sport by no means. Just because this "fighting" game has no depth besides simple combos. Simply put, the only depth of this fighting game is how long you can either rush the opponent in the air or how fast you can dodge a super move.
7 out of 10
Graphics - The world of Dragonball is big, but it seems like the series doesn't get what it needs. I felt like they added content that looked good, but Akira Toryiama wouldn't approve. I've seen SSJ4 Goku for about 7 years now. This game either tops it off or leaves us for the same thing, but prettier.
I did see the graphics improve immensly from DBZB1-3 and DBZBT
7 out of 10.

Sound/Extra content - Same voice actors/actresses from the series. The story modes moved so fast that the sound didn't have too much effect on me. If you didn't know what the series was about. Intros help understand what is going on, but be warned, there is more to the story, depth wise, then what DBZBT3 introduces you to at first. Plus there is a Information where Goku's wife ChiChi explain character information and allows you to check their history.
8 out of 10

Conclusion - the game has the series down pretty good. Adding more tournaments felt like I was playing a dated game once I finished 100% of the DB storymode. If you were waiting for a dbz game and haven't played the Budokai series, then this is the best one in my opinion.
Rent or own: If you want a huge DB experience again, pick it up!
If you like the series for action and not a true fan, then rent it. It doesn't have appeal if you don't like DB.

I do think Atari/Bandai namco tried making this game better then past dbz games. And if they lose their liscence, then so be it. I hope some day they can continue the DB storyline because Akira Toriyama's Blue Dragon sucks IMO. The DBZMMO might be good.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 AM   #13
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastmonk
I felt like they added content that looked good, but Akira Toryiama wouldn't approve.
What do you mean added content? Like original characters for the game?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #14
Northeastmonk

Same characters from the entire series. They added a segment called "What If". It had stories that never took place inside the TV series. Like a fight with Cyborg Freeza/King Cold vs. Devilman (from DB). The dialouge between some of the characters were different then from the TV show. Like in Majin Buu Saga, when Majin Vegeta fought with Goku at Level 2, the conversations were totally different and were slightly improved. And Broly had a lot more to say then "Kakarotooo.."

Plus ChiChi's comments on say Bebi Vegeta never appeared in the series. And Goku from DBZ would talk to the Goku from DB. It felt like it was a game for fans only.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 12-19-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
Vegetto
Alive

FYI Toriyama had NOTHING to do with DragonBall GT, so he wouldn't approve of anything from that garbage of a series anyway
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote