The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Alucard

The Secret World

Not too much info, but I'm interested. Anything from Conan/Anarchy people always has me interested. I like the idea of the setting. Very original.

Quote:
From the creators of 'Age of Conan', 'Anarchy Online', 'The Longest Journey' and 'Dreamfall' comes a brave new massively multiplayer online role-playing game for the PC and Xbox 360. Taking place on our earth, in our times, 'The Secret World' (TSW) is inspired by history and mythology, modern conspiracy theories and ancient mysteries.
For there really is a world within ours, a secret world, where magic exists, monsters roam and ancient forces are fighting for the dominance of earth. It is a world of legendary stories, ageless conflicts and powerful cabals. In this world, even modern cities hide secrets. In this world, players can take part in the greatest conspiracies of our age, and battle the forces of darkness across the world and throughout time.

"We started envisioning this contemporary online world more than ten years ago, and as the years passed the ideas grew and improved," said Ragnar Tψrnquist, Producer and Director on 'The Secret World'. "We always wanted a different kind of online world, something scary and contemporary, something deeper and closer to our reality. Our goal now is to create a detailed world where players feel empowered and part of something big, something mystical and epic."

"We believe there are millions of gamers out there who want to explore something beyond traditional fantasy and sci-fi games," said Trond Arne Aas, CEO of Funcom. "'The Secret World' is just that - a fantastic new setting that will fuel the imagination of online gamers, and keep players busy for years. We have a golden opportunity to bring something fresh and exciting to the genre, and we firmly believe the game is an ideal extension of Funcom's MMO portfolio."

'The Secret World' has been in development since last summer and the game is in a playable state. It is produced at the Funcom studios in Oslo and Beijing. A release date is not being announced at this point, but players are already getting involved in the fast-growing community. Through a complex web-based mystery launched on May 6th, players are being led to a series of websites, including www.DarkDaysAreComing.com, where - after solving a puzzle - concept art from the game is being unveiled.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Decado

*pukes* Another MMORPG? Damned, they've easily become one of the biggest genres on the PC (RTS being the only real competition). At this rate the SP game is in even greater danger.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Alucard

You'll notice this studio has put out more then just MMOs. Its just extra people hired, same goes for most developers. Theres plenty of single player games, dont you go all crusty and angry on me!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Joker
not Seraph

MMO games are overrated. Is it even possible to play more than one at a time? I think it would require a 40 hour-long day.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
*pukes* Another MMORPG? Damned, they've easily become one of the biggest genres on the PC (RTS being the only real competition). At this rate the SP game is in even greater danger.
Pretty much captured my thoughts.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Alucard

You can play more then one MMO if you like. Too many people seem to think you need to put in 10+ hour days if you're playing one. You can do 2hours each day and thats plenty. I've noticed alot of people who blanch at MMO's and complain about there being too many generally dont play them. They're sulking and poncing around for no reason. Maybe its cool to hate on them, just like RTS, and once upon a time FPS. Lots of 1 genre is not a bad thing. It means theres more of a chance of a good game popping up. EVERY genre has at least 1 good game worth playing. Some of you would realise this if you werent such nazi's when it came to certain game formats. Grow up for once.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
They're sulking and poncing around for no reason. Maybe its cool to hate on them, just like RTS, and once upon a time FPS. Lots of 1 genre is not a bad thing.
Oh, I've got a reason, alright - and it's based on hard facts and not merely because I hate the genre - certainly not because I think it's "cool". Granted, this thread isn't the place to discuss the issue - so I'll let it go.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
it's not hard to play multiple mmo's its just the monthly costs which nail you. I think at one time i was subbed to 4 mmo's, and it wasn't hard to jump around. now a days there aren't many mmo's which catch my eye. i play wow from time to time but barely touch eve online anymore and planetside doesn't feel good anymore, and i can barely stand playing city of villians/heros.