The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Alucard

Football Manager Live

This one caught me by surprise. Supposedly they've been at it for the last 2 years and it will be out next year. You basically run an fantasy team, but all the players are from real life. You can haggle with other users during transfers and loan deals etc. It sounds pretty interesting.

Quote:
Talking of transfers, SI is keen to push the auction-style system used in the game, with players able to bid up to a deadline in traditional style, or perhaps take the plunge and snag that tricky winger in an instant buy - and that applies to loans as well as full transfers, while other players (such as free transfers) can be bid on based on their daily salary. As you might expect, you have to watch out for gazumping - a factor that's sure to be a big issue in the fully fledged games when they get going in the beta test. But unlike FM, FML takes a more short-term approach to contracts, so you might end up only securing the services of a player on a four-week contract, for example.

In-game, there are three different match speeds (which you have to agree to between you), and FML allows players to haggle over such details via the instant messenger system. Meanwhile spectators can actually join your game-in-progress to see how you're doing, as well as chime in with cheeky quips of their own. Perhaps the most crucial element of any online football management game is how stoppages are handled, such as enforced tactical changes brought about by injuries or sending-offs. In such situations, you're given a one minute 'Time-Out' to make any tweaks, which keeps the game fast and free-flowing.

Prior to a game you get four minutes to make final preparations, while half-time give you a maximum of two minutes of faffing. At present, the player interactions have been taken out, so the amount of distracting time-wasting stuff you can meddle with is largely limited to formation changes and substitutions, which is arguably a good thing for those who don't fancy sitting around waiting for an opponent to make painstaking tweaks. If players don't show up for a fixture or quit out, it's expected that there will be some kind of penalty system, with points deducted for repeat offenders. You can, however, have AI assistance, but SI has already experienced some abuse of that, with certain players currently doing better by relying on it - a good example of something the test phase will iron out

Another small, but perfectly formed new addition to the match-day antics is the ability to place a bet on winning. Although entirely optional, it gives players yet another way to squander their cash and/or fluke their way to be able to buy those top internationals that are otherwise out of reach. Again, possibly open to abuse, but something we'll find out the importance of in time.

If you're wanting more info and screenshots, theres about 4 billion links to previews and interviews at the official SI forum. If you're interested in the FM series you probably already are signed up so here you go

http://community.sigames.com/eve/for...3/m/7112089413
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

Sega nerds did a post about this weeks ago, I know you don't read the site, but yeah. I don't like these games lol I know they have a big fanbase and lots of fans so this is a good step.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Alucard

I should say a huge FUCK OFF to sega whores who most never looked at this title series in the last 15 years and probably think its a sega game when its not.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
sharky~
Out Run Master!

This is one SEGA GAME I wont be buying.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
Sega makes good games? blasphemy!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Alucard

Its not a fucking sega game.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Its not a fucking sega game.
According to the box it is, its called a 'smart business' move by a publisher.

You know Burnout? Its EA's, you know The Sim City? Its EA's, You know Command and Conquer? Its EA's.

You know Football manger? Its Segas.

As for not 'looking into it', false. My friend is into Hockey Manger games. I played it and there (in IMO) I can't stand it.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
shinobi00
Hyper Ninja 100%

I like the offline version plenty, I'm pretty hardcore into soccer now, but I already pay 10 bucks a month for setanta sports. I'm not paying any more than that for football. looks fun though.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsofherwomb
According to the box it is, its called a 'smart business' move by a publisher.

You know Burnout? Its EA's, you know The Sim City? Its EA's, You know Command and Conquer? Its EA's.

You know Football manger? Its Segas.

As for not 'looking into it', false. My friend is into Hockey Manger games. I played it and there (in IMO) I can't stand it.

All those games are made with EA's internal work crew. The original C&C lot left when EA ripped the studio apart. The same CANT be said for Football Manager which is the same team from SI who has been working on the same game for like 15 years. Was Championship Manager an Eidos game? You never heard anyone describe it EVER as an Eidos game despite they publishing it. SI Games left Eidos cause they were starting to piss them off with launch dates and trying to push their ideas onto them. So SI Games left and Championship Manager became Football Manager. They joined Sega on the grounds that Sega could NOT change the game in any way from the image that SI Games had. Therefore NOT a sega game. They have stuff all to do with it apart from box packaging.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #10
sharky~
Out Run Master!

What Alucard is saying is, Until Sega starts ripping apart games companys Sega arent as good as EA.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:00 AM   #11
Alucard

What I'm saying is sega have no creative input directly or indirectly with the game, therefore it has nothing to do with sega apart from box shipping. You might figure this out oneday sharky.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #12
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

dude, Sega lets the company do what they want since they sell games. Sega does not just 'ship boxs' they fund the company, they OWN the company. If Sega wanted them to do Sonic Sports games then they will.

Sega or No Sega, I'm still no interested.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #13
GrantXP

Championship Manager was a great game. And the new Football Manager is too... To be honest I admire SEGA-Europe for what they are trying to do. Like EA they are strengthening their game division. Unlike EA they are not buying and then butchering (Westwood, Maxis etc.) All developers that work with SEGA are extremely happy with the publisgher input. I have quotes from SI, petroglyph, Creative Assembly. Now if only SEGA of Japan and America would take their lead and allow great games to be made. SEGA Rally (A UK based game) is being given all the time it needs to make it great. Sonic was rushed and don't even get me started on the lack of shenmue 3!!!

Anyway back to topic. Not sure how much this would interest me. But if anyone can pull it off SEGA can. And Alucard, it was not originally SEGA, but it is now so accept it. Its still a superb game for PC!!! That should make you happy?
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #14
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
What I'm saying is sega have no creative input directly or indirectly with the game, therefore it has nothing to do with sega apart from box shipping. You might figure this out oneday sharky.
Lol, dude.. I was just winding you up. I really don't care that much either way.
Its not a game I'd buy.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:40 AM   #15
Alucard

I just think this game series is not getting its dues. Majority of Sega fans would never have looked at this title before. But now they list it as one of 'sega's great games because it sells alot. I wonder if any of them ever even LOOKED at Championship Manager before. And yes fruits, sega just do the boxes, little else. SI Games could fund this series on their own with very little trouble. They just want an outlet into stores.

While I was never happy with SI Games working with Eidos in the past, since I knew Eidos were a bunch of rancid cunts who still need to die and explode miserably, I was very happy when SI decided to join sega because it was a great move for them. And lets be honest, it was an amazing move for Sega aswell to get such an excellent popular title as Football Manager on their books, heaps of income for little effort on segas part. Eidos were definately spitting blood when it happened, but thats their own fault for trying to push their ideas onto the team. SI said This is our game not yours so sod off. They're like Valve really, they can do whatever the hell they want and answer to noone. They're also one of the best developers around as they frequently chat on the forums with their fanbase and take ideas and add them to the series if they're good ones. Its pretty much a fans game.