The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
LegendaryU.2.K.
Banned

PCI Cards/Brand Names

I'm looking over at newegg at the list of PCI cards, and i'm curious. Does the brand of the name make a difference?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...611&name=256MB

I'm looking to sell my 700064MB card and get a second 256MB card, but i see alot of different brand names, all ATI cards, but they have dimond stealth, Apollo, VisionTek etc.

Which one should i buy? That VisionTek looks pretty good, but i might have to buy it elsewhere, because of the high price for a PCI card.
LegendaryU.2.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Alucard

PCI? If it was PCI-E then that would be good, but pci is like..well...its not even used by people. I dont understand the logic in wanting to get one, performance or money wise. As for brand it matters a little. Some are a bit dodgy with the heatsink/fan setup, but generally they're all fine. I still go ahead and buy popular good brands but thats me.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I remember my first PCI video card back in 1995.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
LegendaryU.2.K.
Banned

PCI cards can run games just fine, all depends on which one you have. Yea its old, but believe its great. I can play GTAIII and Vice city on my 700064mb card at near 60fps, and no i am not lying. My 9250 256mb card is like a million times faster then the 7000 card, but i am buying another powerful pci card soon.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
Alucard

You being able to play a shitty ps2 game at good frames with a pci card doesnt impress me. If you try and play a proper game you might realise how weak the pci cards actually are, and definately a very large waste of money. I'm going to guess you're a GTA fan, so I'd ask you considering GTA4 is supposedly out at the end of the year, wouldnt you rather upgrade your system a little smarter instead of wasting it on outdated hardware?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
LegendaryU.2.K.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
You being able to play a shitty ps2 game at good frames with a pci card doesnt impress me. If you try and play a proper game you might realise how weak the pci cards actually are, and definately a very large waste of money. I'm going to guess you're a GTA fan, so I'd ask you considering GTA4 is supposedly out at the end of the year, wouldnt you rather upgrade your system a little smarter instead of wasting it on outdated hardware?
#1 PCI cards are very powerful, maybe not as powerful as PCIE and AGP, but good enough.

#2 The games which i cant play on the pc, i will just buy on the xbox.

#3 In a few months i am buying a super powerful xp computer, so the future pc games will just play on it.

#4 GTA4 i have no plans to buy anytime soon, when the xbox360 version price drops down to 14.99, then i will buy it haha.

#5 I'm not a computer freak or graphic freak or someone who rushes out to buy the new stuff, so i am happy with what i have.

BTW, if i can play new games at 640x480 16bit or 32 bit colors, thats cool with me. Alot of people go out and buy this and that just to keep up with the new stuff and new games, i dont.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
eww, I would blow up with your way of thinking.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
Alucard

I would too.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
Im afraid to say it but i agree with U2k, on what he said <_< I played fear on 640x480 to get uber fps >.< and now a days i play most games in window mode 1680x1024 res with a Css window of 1024x768 = pwnage.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Alucard

I play most games in window mode if I can, but NOT under 1024x768. Sometimes a step up. But playing games at 640x480? On a pc montor? Forget it. I'd rather not play the game at all.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
Nano Fox

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
Hehe, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to exploit the warcraft 3 program to increase its resolution higher, I know one exists for diablo 2 but its private
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Alucard

you can probably do it by screwing around with the ini file. I just dont know exactly how to go about it. Messing with the...something. I've seen it before, but my memory is like swiss cheese.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
Nano Fox

I found a application screen forcer, gonna try it out. friend told me it should do the trick.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 AM   #14
LegendaryU.2.K.
Banned

Playing games in low screen settings , with everything set on high looks good. But i did notice that some new games or games that i think i can not play at all, i can play with the settings set on high.

For example:

http://www.shade-game.com/bes.php3?M...localization=0

These are the system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:

Operating system: Win 98SE, ME
Processor: Intel PIII - 700 MHz
Memory: 128 MB RAM
Video card: 32 MB GeForce2
Sound card: SoundBlaster compatible sound card
Hard disc: 2 GB free space on HDD
Other: MS DirectX 9

Recommended System Requirements:

Operating system: Win 2000, XP
Processor: Intel P4 - 2 GHz
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Video card: 256 MB GeForce4
Sound card: EAX compatible sound card
Hard disc: 4 GB free space on HDD
Other: MS DirectX 9

Amazing i can play this game at 1024x768, details on max, full Scene Anti-Aliasing. With my radeon 7000 that does not support pixel shaders, but with using 4.3 drivers it works near perfect. The game hardly slows down.

So you never know, some games which you think wont run well, might run smooth. Most of the time i download demos to make sure can i play it first before buying it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #15
Alucard

Some games dont need alot of power no. Pity that game you listed got bad reviews.