The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Nintendo and YOU, the debate.

Before I start lets keep this a debate and not a flame war.

Is their anyone out there that doesn't like the way the new Nintendo is?
Sure the Wii is an interesting console and everyone's gone ape over it.

For me, I've played the Wii but now the hype has warn off I'm not all that excited about it. I mean the games, there are a lot of things coming out from Nintendo I have no interest in at all. After seeing that list of games coming up from Nintendo..Smash Bros and maybe Mario are the only 2 I care about.

I hate the new family friendly image too, trying to make house wives and grandparents play video games with little mini games and software that can't even be called a game anymore like brain trainer.. Its almost anti what I like about video games in the first place.

I think the Snes and N64 days where Nintendo's peak, I remember playing Star Fox 64 for the first time and being blown away and even though I don't REALLY like Zelda games that much Zelda OoT was amazing back then from a technical side.. even for a Sega fan ;p. But now I don't see Nintendo going all out on games that can be called 'Epic' anymore. Its short family friendly mainstream stuff. I pretty much HATE the new Nintendo the more I think about it.

Is there anyone that feels like Nintendo are going in the wrong direction.. not money wise of coarse.. but just moving out of your general interest.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Joker
not Seraph

So just go and buy yourself a PS3 or X360. It's not like you're allowed to own one and only one platform.

EDIT: I can't wait for Paper to rip your post into pieces.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

If Paper brings his nonsense here, he'll have no rep left!

My Wii is fast becoming a novelty machine. I have Zelda, Wii Sports, Warioware, and Paper Mario. Zelda was fun, but the wiimote is obviously added on, which is forgivable because the game was initially designed for the Gamecube. Warioware is super-short and once you figure out how to do the puzzles, the game becomes moot and the multiplayer sucks. And Paper Mario barley uses the wiimote movements at all (tilt the wiimote when you jump on a enemy for bonus points!? Hardly a revolution).

So, in my eyes, no games have really shown me why we needed this new style of gaming in the first place. Sure Warioware relies on it 100%, but I don't catagorize Warioware as a I would a Metroid/MGS/FF game. It's moreso a party game than it is a serious attempt at either:

a) A complicated game that draws me in for hours (Sandbox games or sim games)
b) An epic game (FF/MGS/Metroid/Zelda)

Right now, the games I want the most for the Wii are:

1) Metroid Prime 3
2) The Bigs

I'm curious to see how MP3 will play. We all know the wiimote opens doors. But what else?
And 'The Bigs' is a baseball game, so hopefully we'll get a real deep version of Wii Sports, even if The Bigs is a baseball arcade game and not a deep sim (i.e. if I throw a breakingball in the dirt, there is no way on Earth you can hit it and get on first).

So I guess my entire post can be summed up in this paragraph below:

Right now, the Wii has not impressed me. The games that utilize the wiimote can usually be played using a normal controller, nullifying the use for a Revolution in gaming in the first place. The games that couldn't use a normal controller have not been top tier games. To add insult to injury, the graphics are already showing their age, and it looks like the Wiis graphic potential is close to being tapped.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

My opinion is well known around here. Some say I troll it. But when on the subject, no I do not like their direction of late. Its great they are finding success but that doesn't make me happy as a gamer. Nintendo's games are becoming to easy by design. I can play any of their old games and they be a challenge even for my skill level. Zelda: TP though, not a single death. They even tweak their remakes to be easier. As I noticed in Kirby GBA. So as a gamer thats very unsatisfying.

Second problem is well, they are becoming way to child oriented. Like they want to be the fesher price of games. I'm not saying the games need to have gore or sex to be mature. Just saying they need to make more of their games to be more like a park instead of a playland. Take something as simple as cartoons for example. Avatar is a show I enjoy. Its a show both kids and adults can watch. How? Its not child oriented. The show is made intelligently. It doesn't need sex, to swear, to drugs ect. Its just made with intelligence that works with kids and adults. Just like it was back in the day with games.

Last edited by Reality; 04-28-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I already posted tons of times what I don't like about it.

But they just need to come up with more original games and not games that feel like ports with shitty controls that were tacked on at the last minute.

Once those kind of games come out, it will feel worth it.

They need some good light gun games that play like the older light gun games like Time Crisis and Duck Hunt.

I would love for a remake of ROB on the console and have it come with the old NES games that come out for it and some new ones also.

... now I feel like playing my NES with the Power pad.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Metroid and Zelda are my two favorite IPs of Nintendo. Mostly because they evoke a mature theme. That's why I got REAL pissed at Wind Waker.

Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Star Fox is mine.. well up until Star Fox 64.. Adventures and past have been arse.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Star Fox is ripe for a comeback. They could use the wiimote like a stick.

Games I'm hyped for
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

I love what they're doing with the DS, but I'm not interested in the Wii.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior
Star Fox is ripe for a comeback. They could use the wiimote like a stick.
Don't even joke around about that. I'd love for StarFox to come back like it was on the SNES/N64 days. But if Nintendo can smile and give Nacmo and thumbs up to release StarFox Armada, then I already know they don't care about it. (PS, I think Fox in Brawl looks dumb compared to his Melee style)
Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #11
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

My gripes about Nintendo:

They still seem to have the same old attitude of not delivering a steady flow of good games. I'm not saying they need to bring out a hit every week, or even every single month...but it always feels like Nintendo comes out with only one great game a year (two, if we're lucky).

One thing I notice way too much on Nintendo platforms as of late is the abundance of licensed Disney/Dreamworks/Nickelodeon TV/movie games that are a total waste of space and plastic. It's all over the DS and the Wii and it sucks. In fact, I have yet to see any of that crap on 360 or PS3.

And finally, Nintendo needs to make a real online service. The thing they have now....even PS2's online puts it to shame.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
Subway
In the garden of sinners

Well... wii has only been around for half a year (maybe not even half a year) I don't think its fair to be so critical of the games that come out so early in the systems life (even though there are few great games that came early in the lifespan of some systems, which i think comes from easier development ie: not dealing with full teams dedicated to textures or music or art, im not a developer so im not sure if they really work like that). To me it seems (hopefully) that this acts like some sort fund raiser for future developements in a year of so, capitalizing off the initial hype of the wii for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
Nintendo's games are becoming to easy by design. I can play any of their old games and they be a challenge even for my skill level. Zelda: TP though, not a single death.
So true. During winter break, I went back home and played zelda:TP all day. Since my mom doesn't really work (takes care of the house) she always sees me playing zelda and when she saw me play against the bosses, she always asks why the bosses aren't attacking me or ask if all the boss did was just run around, even criticizing that it looks easy (she played the regular one and aLttP).

Quote:
They even tweak their remakes to be easier. As I noticed in Kirby GBA. So as a gamer thats very unsatisfying.
OFF TOPIC: I can't play any kirby game after Kirby Super Stars, it just seems that they stopped trying with kirby's powers.

Quote:
Second problem is well, they are becoming way to child oriented. Like they want to be the fesher price of games. I'm not saying they games need to have gore or sex to be mature. Just saying they need to make more of their games just be more serious instead of a playland. Take something as simple as cartoons for example. Avatar is a show I enjoy. Its a show both kids and adults can watch. How? Its not child oriented. The show is made intelligently. It doesn't need sex, to swear, to drugs ect. Its just made with intelligence that works with kids and adults. Just like it was back in the day with games.
Do you think this is because the developers are lazy, or they are trying to cater to the mass? If a game is too hard, potential future purchases might be turned off by the sequel simply because they didn't beat the first one. Oh how I miss the days where games were actually played by people who appreciates the design and effort that went into that game. People nowadays are pussy's and need to grow a pair
Subway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:22 AM   #13
darren
... lol

most of this just sounds like all the moans people had about the DS for the 1st 12 months or so until the real games started coming out.

only main gripe i have is game flow .. Europe gets shit all as usual .. and the online service is the pits.. Game codes are a f**King rubbish idea.

for those worried about the nature of the games coming for Wii then this should help to assure some people about the nature of the software thats coming
this is taken from Iwata's speach the other day when he mentioned 45 games being in development for Wii. Believe what he says or not thats up to you .. personally i trust what this exec a tad more than most exec's in the industry.

Quote:
. Iwata hinted that these are real gamer games, rather than the casual stuff that we're seeing a lot of on the DS.
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/784/784065p1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpingcat
One thing I notice way too much on Nintendo platforms as of late is the abundance of licensed Disney/Dreamworks/Nickelodeon TV/movie games that are a total waste of space and plastic. It's all over the DS and the Wii and it sucks. In fact, I have yet to see any of that crap on 360 or PS3.
you are not looking hard enough then ..

off the top off my head on 360: Surfs Up, Dinesys Mett the Robinsons, Cars

just look at PS2 .. full of crappy stuf like this .. the reason there is not a not if any on the PS3 is due to the fact that these kids games and not the sort of thing a $600 console system owner will be playing.

the thing here is that these games will always be on every system and by the bucket load ..

i have always found the more popular the system is the more crap you have to sort through to find a great game. Just look at PS2 .. loads of great games .. but the amount of crap you have to sort through to find a great game is staggering .. and that is due to the popularity of the system ...
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 04-28-2007 at 03:18 AM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #14
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

OK, I admit that I didn't look very hard through the 360 library to find crap like that. It's just whenever I casually browse through games at a store, I don't see stuff like that on 360 anywhere near as much as I see it on GBA/DS/Wii. I definitely know that the PS1/PS2 had a bunch of bad things to sort through, I just didn't mention them because I wanted to keep it focused on new systems.

The "game flow" on the DS actually isn't so bad (here in NA, at least). But I guess the online sucks for everybody everywhere. I really don't like that we at #the-magicbox spent half an hour just trying to get 4 of us all connected in Mario Kart.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #15
darren
... lol

i used the PS2/PS1 as an example the more popular the system the more crap gets released .. its the nature of things .. based on current trands the Wii could be the mot popular system this gen .. and thus it will have the biggest % of crap games. As more 2 bit zero dev companies will put crap out on it as they are more likely to sell some of it.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote