The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Steam Hater hacks valve servers! eeek!

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39032

Half-Life hacker holds Valve to ransom

Steam tubes found leaking credit cards

By Wily Ferret: Thursday 19 April 2007, 09:00

A DISGRUNTLED Half-Life gamer claims to have hacked Valve's Steam servers and is holding the company to ransom.
The chap, calling himself Maddox, says that he is not a fan of Steam - the digital distribution system for games that Valve has pioneered - and he's acting to get Valve to fix it to his satisfaction.

To prove his point, the hacker has released screenshots onto the web of Valve's internal admin system, along with details of user accounts and tips for people to set up their own 'CyberCafe' account with Valve, a privilege usually reserved for those running, well, CyberCafes.

The screenshots do seem to be legitimate, including listings of CyberCafe accounts, error logs and a small amount of credit card data with the numbers blanked out.

The man himself told the world that "If you [Valve] want me to remove these files you can e-mail me at (address removed) and I prefer you come with something good unless you want me to expose ALL of the customers their information."

He has further threatened to put together a spreadsheet of all Valve's user base credit card data and to release it into the hack-o-sphere, which wouldn't be a pleasant experience for the millions of Valve customers that have purchased games online.

Valve is yet to publicly respond to the threat - there is zip on its website, and we can't find anything in the support forums either - but we suspect that Gabe Newell and co are talking to the police as we type.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

At least I never bought a game from them using my credit card. Maybe they will finally fix the piece of crap that Steam is.
da missinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Alucard

Good job. They really need to improve steam and their supposed anti-hack/cheat system, which at the moment is laughable. Useless lot probably wont do anything anyway and try to come out as being victims and blaming the hacker, instead of actually doing some fucking work for a change. They're working on an expansion for gods sake, one that should of been out a year ago. They're slack and they're slow. Pisses me off that they actually make good games.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

I agree, not to mention that half the time the features they add in updates rarely work correctly, if at all, and they never fix the things they should but add unnecessary things instead. We could probably fill pages upon pages on how crappy they are, but like petitions and letters and threads in the steam forums nothing will be done.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Wow, this guy is hardcore.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I love it when people who have the ability to fight back, do so.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
It's one way of fighting, but what really hurts is its being aimed at alot of innocent victims. i can say 100% the maddox guy is a former employee who knew the weak points of steam and used it to enter the restricted zones. even though he is trying to fix steam with this absurd attack which pisses me off and others this won't get any kudo's his way.

Anyhoot you can't do a damn thing with VAC or PB or any other cheating anti client to keep the cheaters at bay no such thing exists and perhaps never will. Even i know ways of breaking through vac secured servers with banned steam accounts, but it can't be fixed no matter what, and if done it would take them a very long time to restructure their entire code. Its like asking microsoft to remove internet explorer from their windows operating systems.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Alucard

Maybe they should of made it better. Oh I dont know..maybe something like Battlefield 2 system where everything is SERVER side and they have 100% control of everything.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah I was just going to say that, some servers just need more admins/mods that will kick/ban hackers. When I had my server I gave admin to 20 people, too bad they didn't play on it! I'M LOOKING AT YOU LINK!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

Hey, if you remember the stats page said I logged the most time on your server. So the one you should look at is yourself, now go look in a mirror... Assuming it doesn't crack when you look at it.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
By Wily Ferret: Thursday 19 April 2007, 09:00p
BEST NAME EVER!!!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #12
Alucard

Looks like they werent hacked after all. The guy grabbed the info from a 3rd party thing of an internet cafe info or something. Go back to playing games.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

It was Alucard!!!!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #14
Nem
Smash bro!

aww here we got our hopes up and all! I dislike Steam as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

We were supposed to stop playing games?