The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-14-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Ancient Wars: Sparta Demo is Out

I've played all three available campaigns: Spartans, Egyptians and Persians. I must say this game is incredibly gorgeous and fun.

http://www.fileplanet.com/175954/170...rta-%5BDemo%5D
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Alucard

I'll definately give it a shot.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Joker
not Seraph

Damn it, now I'm finally going to upgrade my baby with a monster video card.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Since I was tired, I didn't provide a brief synopsis of the demo. So here we go:

Each of the three civilizations has a main hero and sub hero. Both of these, in addition to your manufactured units levels up as enemies and objectives are cleared. One of the nice things is that you can equip everyone with whatever weapons and armor you have either looted or obtained through research (when enemies are defeated they typically drop their shields and weapons).

Unit creation in the typical strategy game goes something like this - click on a pre-determined template, wait while the progress bar is filled, and your unit walks out of the designated building.

In AW: Sparta, you first can click on an "Equip Unit" button. From here, you can custom make a template and fit your warrior with weapons and armor that is available to you. Once finished, a portrait representing that unit mold, with the specific weapons and armor displayed beside it, is added to one of the 10 unit slots for that building. To make the unit, simply click on that portrait. He or she exits the building and begins training while the progress bar fills. A melee oriented fighter will attack dummies and an archer will shoot targets, for example.

From the start of the Persian campaign, which is the most in-depth, you can have your workers construct a few basic buildings such as sheep farms to make food, an armory where you can research and gain new equippable weapons and armor, a drafting cabin where you can research new logistics such as a battering ram, as well as a shooting range for archers and barracks for melee units.

The workers not only create structures, but also loot goods for you if you bring them along. Later on you can obtain caravans to deposit the goods rather than bring them back to the command center. In addition, the workers can build things on the fly. For example, they can make any building anywhere (with the exception of a gold mine which needs to be next to a gold deposit) as well as battering rams. This is a nice plus since you don't create these siege units at a building and have to slowly haul them all the way across the map to your army's location.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Joker
not Seraph

So what's your verdict on the game? Yay or nay?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Actually, the Egyptians are the most in depth campaign, and most challenging. Right from the start you must help defend the camp of your ally but yours as well. But the Egyptians get more goodies at the start. One of the hero's skills is a radius health regen which really helps maintain your army. Several siege bolts slaughter incoming enemies with ease.

The demo is very enjoyable. I planned to pick up the game beforehand but playing this pretty much confirmed my decision in buying it. Download it and see if you like it.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Joker
not Seraph

IGN gives it a 5.8/10 and deservedly so. The few levels from the demo show a very "meh" RTS with only a few decent features (like customizing your units and picking up the dropped weapons).
Not worth a purchase, IMO.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
Alucard

Ah what a shame
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote