The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 03-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

The nintendo wii is a piece of dung!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/771/771051p1.html

March 7, 2007 - During a session at GDC this morning titled 'Burning Mad - Game Publishers Rant,' time was taken about half way through to allow developers a chance to spew their own rants. One speaker, Chris Hecker, currently working on Spore at Maxis, took the opportunity to call out Nintendo for not taken games seriously.

"The Wii is a piece of shit!" Hecker began his talk, which was called "Fear of a Wii Planet." He blasted a few bars of Public Enemy to set the tone. Hecker said the Wii is nothing more than two GameCubes stuck together with duct tape, and that the console isn't powerful enough to provide the next-gen experience he has been waiting for.

Although he stated the system is "severely underpowered," Hecker noted that he wasn't simply referring to the Wii's graphical capabilities. He wants to spend a console's CPU making games more intelligent, and he has found the Wii doesn't have the power to process things like complicated AI.

Hecker also took Nintendo to task for not taking games seriously enough. "It's not clear to me that Nintendo gives a shit about games as an art form," he said. To illustrate his point, he searched for references to games as art on all three console manufacturers web sites. While he found numerous such references on both the official PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sites, Wii.com had none at all. He then shared quotes from executives at Sony and Microsoft talking about games as a serious artistic medium, and then a quote from a Nintendo executive saying the company only wanted to make "fun" games.

Hecker ended his spirited rant with two demands for Nintendo: First, recognize and push games as serious art. And two, "make a console that doesn't suck ass.

This guy is a Total Ass imo. I highlighted the the retarded quote in orange..art over fun in games?...what a dick

Here is a quote from a board member(Cubetoonscreator) at IGN.com that i totally agree with...be aware he is being sarcastic.

I don't play video games to have fun. I do so to methodically dissect the inner meaning that the creator of the "game" (a word I don't like to use, because frankly it is for commoners) no doubt instilled within the subtle coding of the virtual world.

When I beat to death a prostitute in GTA, I think to myself "Ah, I see. This is a cry against the modern day violence that takes place in the streets of those less fortunate whom are forced to sell their own bodies to afford food." After all, that's why Rockstar put that option in there.

Also, the DS is a gimmick
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Vegetto
Alive

playing games is serious business
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Alexander
I speak with codes.

As of now, I'm inclined to agree. This thing is useless.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
B.B. Gambini
Banned

lol @ editing the thread title
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

So this guy just basically states the obvious on what kind of power the Wii has. Meh.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. Gambini
lol @ editing the thread title
Lol i had 2.

ON TOPIC:But when ppl say stupid things like that guy it makes me say...HUH!

The thing is, games need to be FUN, plain and simple. This guy is only speaking in terms of what he wants and making it sound factual. One look at Okami on a weaker system and you can clearly see the wii being able to handle artistic and fun gamplay. Anyone who knocks a company for saying they want to concentrate on fun games is a Cunt.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I thought you might do it with asterisks, but OK.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I think we got a case of a guy stating a bit of the bitter obvious and then his opinion. What makes this article so worthless though is that its made up on a few sentences. I mean, who knows what points he makes in his conversation. You know, seeing as he is a ACTAUL DEVELOPER and not just fanboy or sell out. We wont ever know cause only the bad things about the Wii he mentions is put on view for all. For all we know he is criticizing Nintendo for titles like Wii Sports. Games so simple, so cheap (take that as you want), so easy that as long as its fun then its good enough. I'm all for a game thats simply fun but why pay top dollar when thats all it is? Games can be artistic and fun. And I think Mario Galaxy or even Metroid 3 are good candidates of being that. It really depends on Nintendo. Are they going to make these games as a developer or a business?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
I thought you might do it with asterisks, but OK.
LOL i'm original. Could you have edited the topic for me?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
C4RL
was here

I agree until Smash bros hit stores
C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Wii is good system. Not great not next gen, but it is solid in it's mission to be the console most people have setting next their "next gen art galleries". Paper Mario, Super Smash Bro, Zelda, Metroid will pretty much guarentee that it'll be next to my PS3 and eventually 360. Hell I' might even put it in between them to make a nice gaming sandwich.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
jojjy_ugnick
Mr All-Beef Patties

What about the artistry involved in creating potentially new gameplay and control schemes with a new interface, the Wii Remote? What this guy considers to be art in video games is not necessarily the be all end all. Sometimes a real simple but beautifully made game can be more fun than a game with complex AI. Sometimes there is complexity in a simple concept.

Perhaps part of the art of video games is how much enjoyment one can get out of it, and not how far an over-ambitious developer can try to imitate reality with graphics or AI.

Sometimes you just want to play Checkers or table tennis and not Risk or Axis and Alllies. (Perhaps a bad analogy but you get the idea, and for the record I play Civ 4 and I like Risk)
jojjy_ugnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

This guy proably wanted to say that the Wii is so weak that i doesn't challenge programmers to create more complex engines. But instead, he just sounded like a pretentious ass who doesn' understand what the words 'art' and 'subjective' are.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Joker
not Seraph

Ha, these people, developers, always complain that a particular system is either too simple (Wii) or too complex (X360 and PS3) to develop games for.
Was there ever a console that people could actually program for without bitching about it.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
NES.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote