The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Divine Divinity is so awesome

From the music to the graphics to the story to the gameplay, it's awesome. So awesome. I should really play it again; been almost a year.

Just thought I'd share that with you. And yes the name sucks.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Alucard

Lots of people like this one.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Soba
:D

That's one of the free PC games I got. I should get around to playing it sometime.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
Wow.. this one totally slipped by my radar... damn you cdv!!
[GamerTag] Brock 5amson
Nano Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Ok, THAT looks super sweet! Makes me wonder why people think so highly of the 99% pure crap RPGs coming out on consoles these days. I wish I could play this. Damn it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
Alucard

They think highly because the games are japanese and on console. Therefore instant superior to western medieval style pc rpgs. Simple as. These people think final fantasy is one of the best series. Theres like 2-3 good games out of the 12 at best.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Agree 100%. In fact, I don't remember the last truly great console RPG I played. DQVIII was good but hampered by dozens of hours spent uselessly leveling-up. Seriously, that is the oldest concept in the book and is a major turn-off for myself. The above RPG looks incredible (and more importantly fun). I need something different for a change. I'm sick and tired of the huge eyed characters all uniting to save the world from the evil (false) god/warlord/emperor/demon, with their new *sic* "systems" of combat, and these things keep selling.... Some people are like mindless drones. There hasn't been any significant progress in console RPGs since the 32-bit era came and went. Everything is the same now, just like anime.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
memory to zack

The western medieval CRPGs are practically all the same. Same story, same context,same setting (always medieval because they say "pure" RPGs must be in medieval times), same races (dwarves, orcs, elves, lycanthropes. Where s creativity? And the concept of humans being always the good and orcs the bad is so biased), main hero is a random character with no background (nothing at all!) and when it comes to gameplay, man thats the worst thing ever. They want to make a p&p RPG-alike battle system, so mainly a party turn-based like they used to do in the early 90's, but oh no they don t, as they want to put action! As if a TB-RPG can t have action. Most of times this leads to a disastrous battle system where you can t even control a party anymore. The only thing they do good is that they implement RPG skills not needed in battle well, like sociability, rhetoric, etc...
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Alucard

The game above is an action rpg, like Titans Quest/Diablo. Theres other awesome turn based rpgs out too if you prefer that style.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
memory to zack

You mean those low-budget european RPGS? Are they really turn-based, or more like Wild Arms? I don t mind turn-based or not, an RPG, at least for me, must be party-based and when we talk about party, you really control it. Hack-and-slash RPGs are not only single-player but are not really RPGs too, to me at least. They are more action games in which you level-up, kill all the time and use hundreds of potions. Sorry, what a lame excuse is that for an RPG?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Alucard

Depends what you're after. SOME hack and slash rpgs are very good. I prefer the party based myself aswell though. I havent played any newer ones in a while though, but I hear Neverwinter Nights 2 is meant to be very cool. I only played with it for about 10min though. Its the classic real time movement but with the ability to press spacebar so you can put out individual commands for each of your characters. I'll get around to playing it.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
memory to zack

Isn t NWN2 a bioware RPG? I gave NWN a chance once, and it was good, but what really bothered me were the keyboard-inputs and mouse . Kotor and Kotor2 (thats an obsidian game) had the same style of gameplay(but better), but I found the keyboard-inputs and mouse a lot better.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I'm glad you guys are interested. It's super cheap if you can find it on Amazon or eBay, which is where I got it. The music is quite amazing and I think it warrants a playthrough. Also the three classes are different enough to play multiple times.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
Alucard

Obsidian made NWN2, the same ones who did KOTOR2. You should see the manual that comes with it. THICK AND HUGE and full of lovely D&D stats and stuff. Was glorious to see.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #15
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
You should see the manual that comes with it. THICK AND HUGE and full of stuff. Was glorious to see.
Just how you like it.