The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-17-2002, 04:13 PM   #1
Badmash X

Thumbs down Why The DC Got Snuffed

Sometimes I look at my nice neat DC and the loads of CAPCOM games on it, and I wonder hmmmmm CAPCOM games. What happened to the others? Was DC too good for them?

Is CAPCOM the only true gaming-company out there?
Why did other companies like Square and Konami sell out to Sony? That was majorly unsporting of Sony / Square / Konami / Namco, etc.

I fail to see how DC couldn't have handled sequels to games like Chrono, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Contra, Tekken.

SNK perhaps is the only other company other than CAPCOM who continued supporting the DC, but like we all know, it forgot to support itself.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 04:42 PM   #2
Foundation

The Sega games for DC were really really good. That aside, I must first say that I'm glad the DC Castlevania sequel planned for DC failed because it looked like crap (Castlevania 64 engine). Square and Konami didn't necessarily sell out to Sony either. They made deals to ensure their quality titles weren't wasted on another Saturn system that lost support from Sega too early.

Capcom stands out on the DC because their Naomi arcade games were perfectly ported to the DC. When working with more complex polys though, Namco claimed that Soul Calibur was the most difficult game to port that they had ever worked on.

Through Bleemcast we did see that Tekken and MGS looked brilliant on the DC without any work. I agree that Tekken Tag could have been perfectly ported from the arcade.

Ugh..it's a moot point now. I will just have to wait to import KoF2000 for DC this summer and continue living in the third golden age of gaming which ended when the DC lost Sega's support.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:50 PM   #3
Badmash X

Yeah well.
But what about RE:CV? That wasn't NAOMI based.
CAPCOM could've worked on a Dino Crisis or even Onimusha for DC.
Then there is DOA2 which is as good on DC as on PS2.
Ohh well.. At least there is SF3 and MvC2, so DC gets a 1-up~
;P
Old 04-17-2002, 06:16 PM   #4
Pdaimaoh

too much bad karma + history + change

sega of america lost many fans for several years building up to the Dreamcast

many people feel the PERIPHERALS of segaCD and 32x were undersupported (even though they are the most supported peripherals I've ever heard of...)

the saturn, however, was the really bad one
in japan, it lived for up to two or three more years OVER the usa version, yet in USA we got the games one or two years LATER
so we got major snubbed by sega of america

however, the new defeat of Dreamcast was the simple uber-popularity of the PSX/sony
suddenly everyone that had a GAMEBOY now had a PSX
so that's a lot of people that may stick with brand loyalty to buy into the HYPE of PS2
and that's what they did
god how people paid out the yinyang for a PS2 that had hardly any worthwhile games, while they ignored the Dreamcast with some truly great games

plus sega was still in very deep debt, and the hardware wasn't selling a lot, and the software was only doing 'okay'
plus lots of major competition wasn't even going to show up
look at EA, scared to death of the mighty sega sports power basically snubs the dreamcast
konami attempts some sort of decent support but scraps it
square is busy wasting money on a movie so they can't spread thin anymore
Namco was a RIVAL, so they only really supported it because the PS2 was too long of a wait away for at least one of their most awesome arcade games EVER, but once the PS2 was out of the gate, Namco was out of sega's field once more

many fans and publishers feared the saturn all over again, and kind of made a self fulfilling prophecy by not supporting the Dreamcast

sega realized that their software sales were really excellent but their hardware sales sucked
so the natural decision was 'how can we make JUST software?' and that lead to 'be a third party'

plus Microsoft, butting it's useless CE into the Dreamcast was making some sweet offers to eat up Sega into the Xbox world
so they decided to cut their losses take any money for dreamcast projects to be ported and move out of hardware
Old 04-17-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Yai

Geez so the fall of the DC was basically due to a popularity contest which Sega lost? I mean I play DC games now and am blown away and wonder why it failed so throughly.

But I guess I shouldn't complain I didn't pick up a DC until it was on its way out. Which does bring me to this point Sega didn't exactly let people know how great a system was out there. Basically I hardly realised the DC exsisted until my friend got one and I got a chance to play the games on it. Or was I just living under a rock?
Old 04-17-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
Foundation

When the DC first launched, people were coming in to buy them at the store I worked at and almost immediately decided against purchasing a DC when they heard about the PS2 coming out nearly a year later. How can I afford to pay $200 for a DC when I'll need $300 for a PS2? That's what most people asked. Sadly, over 15% of the DC's final userbase got their first DC experience around Christmas 2001 when they dropped to $50.

Anyway..enough rambling. The DC is the best system to date that I've ever seen when you factor in the titles it had. Sega is primarily responsible for the DC's demise. They burned fans before and first time Sega fans who did buy a DC were burned when they discontinued the console.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:27 PM   #7
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

The lack of support from devs weren't the only reason the Dreamcast went the way it did. There was also a lot of pirecy involved. Many people just burned or downloaded the games, and costing Sega in the process.

And the fact that many people just waited for the PS2 didn't help either.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:23 PM   #8
Pdaimaoh

Angry arrgh piracy

well at least Overlord and I agree that Soul Calibur is good!

anyway, Piracy never kills a system

never

because ONE PIRATED GAME does NOT equal ONE BOUGHT GAME THAT WAS NOT BOUGHT

sorry, but many people pirate because they can and have NO intention of BUYING a game, no matter how cool, just because they can have it for free

these are NOT lost game sales

this is WHY rampant, INSANE levels of piracy the past three years, and I mean RAMPANT piracy did nothing to slow down the EQUALLY RAMPANT PROFITS INCREASE over that time

the game industry grew by the BILLIONS while piracy was at it's all time PEAK

Piracy is not as hurtful as the COMPANIES would like to have you think

sure several fans would BUY the game if it were the only means possible, but that pool is so so small it will not help you survive or damn you to death

and yeah
the AWESOME, still BEST NEXT GENERATION game console with the ONLY actual built in modem WITH online network and games to be played, and representations of EVERY genre and BRAND NEW genres

died

because of a popularity contest it lost with sony

yeah
it sucks
yeah
it just ain't right

but that's life
life is not fair, life is not right
life is friggin harsh

sega still owes me Jet Grind Radio 2
I was PROMISED, with the word PROMISE that I, as an american dreamcast owner, would have jet grind radio 2

sega owes me a big fugly Xbox
Old 04-18-2002, 08:27 PM   #9
Tifa's Knight

It was because of hype. The PS2's name killed the DC single-handedly. The name of Metal Gear Solid 2 also helped. But really, if you look at the ammount of people who were saying "Oh, the DC sucks, just wait for PS2" (and this included a lot of game store sales clerks), you realize that the DC would have sold a LOT better if the hype from the PS2 had not been involved. It always pisses me off that Sony didn't even need a single good game to kill off the DC. What a great system it was... the death of the DC is a true testament to the overall suckiness of modern gaming.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:34 AM   #10
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Piracy is a ...

Quote:
well at least Overlord and I agree that Soul Calibur is good!

anyway, Piracy never kills a system

never

Well maybe I overdid the whole thing with piracy, but it did play a part in the downfall of the DC. Most of you think that the PS2 hype is the #1 cause, and you guys are probably right. Thats what I'm leaning towards right now to..

Piracy never destroyed a system, but it was different fot DC. Since it was so easy to just download and burn it to a disk. And i read online that it had a auto-boot thing, so you didn't a mod chip.

And some people decided to save money for the PS2 by pirecy.

This led to a chain of events: First when devs saw that DC software wasn't selling well, they decided not to work on it. Or atleast not a big budget game. When a system doesn't have games which doesn't appeal to everyone, people decided not to buy it.

PS2 hype is still the overall "DC Killer"

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:13 AM   #11
Flame

Sega is what and who killed the DC. They had a large enough userbase to continue producing units and games for the system for at least a couple more years. But instead they made the intelligent business decision, which if you look at the software sales charts, was a great move for them.

Sega burned consumers console after console, I have no sympathy for them as far as the piracy issue goes. Besides, if they didn't rest on the assumption that their proprietary media would never be able to be cracked, they would have had a secondary piracy/import protection.

Besides, the PSX was and is the most pirated format in the history of gaming, and we see how it's successs has been hampered. ;)
Old 04-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #12
Pdaimaoh

well...

the devkits for dreamcast were built to run burned CDR media so developers could playtest their games as they built them, and wouldn't have to pay for GDrom stamping costs...

unfortunately for some, they foolishly left that capability in the FINAL MODEL dreamcasts...

durrrrrrrrrrr....

it was probably sega of america's fault...jerks...tried to kill it off fast
Old 04-26-2002, 08:19 PM   #13
mxgame

I agree it is sad to have an excellent system die an untimely death. My DC will always stay with me because of titles like Soul Calibre, Street Fighter 3:TS, Marvel Vs Capcom2, VO:OT and House of the Dead2. Thank god Sega still lives on doing what it does best-making video games. I wouldn't be suprised to see Nintendo follow suit next generation if the Cube doesn't meet sales expectations.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:25 PM   #14
Pdaimaoh

not even close to hardly

nintendo has already made back all the money they will ever lose on the Gamecube

why would they cancel that? all of their own software is what powers their wallet, and damn near every nintendo game on a nintendo system with franchise popularity sells 1 million+

also, they have the GBA, and no debt at all

very unlike sega's financial ruin of several years running
Old 04-27-2002, 10:23 AM   #15
mxgame

I don't recall saying Nintendo should sell out or that Nintendo is
in debt. No one can see the future but the incursion of Sony and Microsoft into the console wars will have an affect on Nintendo.

Nintendo certainly is profitable but can it compete with a these large corporations. Nintendo is not infallable either look at the catridge debalicle that put them where they are now. Nintendo has lost mindshare to Sony.
Everyone knows that Nintendo is the single most profitable game company. How many game companies did they charge large amounts of liscensing fees to get there. How many other companies made those same huge profits off the N64? Nintendo burned a lot of companies on it's road to profibilty. It's not implausible that Nintendo may team up with a large multinational company in the future. Disagree if you want but what about Panasonic and the Q.