The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Reko8

External HDD Questions

Alright, I know I made a thread about this a while back, but I finally picked one up. A 120GB WD Passport (super tiny). Anyways, it has sync software and everything and I'm practically copying my internal HDD into this one.

The questions I have is this:

If I bring my external to another computer, is there a way I can switch it so it read the external like the internal? Like if I was booting the PC with the external.

If my internal ever crashes, what do I need to put on my external to make sure it's backed up and I can boot up the PC with the external and then transfer the info into the internal and then just use the new internal from there?

The sync software said if I go to another PC, it will run the external with my wallpaper and settings and everything, so I'm guessing I can run a PC with the external.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Alucard

It depends on whether your motherboard supports this. Connect the drive to the PC and then go into Dos and see if the primary bootup device can be switched to USB drive.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Reko8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
It depends on whether your motherboard supports this. Connect the drive to the PC and then go into Dos and see if the primary bootup device can be switched to USB drive.
how would I be able to check that? I know how to get to Dos but what do I type in to see if I can switch it?
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
it should say what Key starts bios up when you start your computer like f2 or some jazz like that. F10 is usually the key to get into it, but some motherboards have it set to a different key sometimes.

Like mine is F10. Basically put, when start up happens, hit every single F key even esc if you can't find out which one does what.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Alucard

Once in bios you'll get a list of options. One of the first 2 usually is the one you're looking for. When you check inside it you'll see a listing of stuff like Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, etc. Click on the primary master and see if you have an option in there for the USB connected hdd.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote