The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Decado

Do many PC games support 5.1?

And is 5.1 available with an onboard sound card? Big difference over 2.1?
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Alucard

Totally. Almost every game uses it. Onboard sound works aswell sure, but your games will take a performance hit if you try to put it to high quality sound. Ofcourse onboard will not sound as good as what a seperate soundcard can do, so you should always buy a seperate one. Its not just about quality when it comes to 2.1 going to 5.1, but also positional sense that comes with it. Its brilliant and really immersive. Unlike a movie thats fixed, the sounds move when you do, so it gives it that little extra special thing. Especially with FPS games since you can tell exactly where someone is standing instead of thinking lol to my right somewhere.

Now the real question is, are you prepared to actually pay for a decent sound setup to experience 5.1, instead of a dodgy cheap $60 job?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Sidearmm

Age of Conan supports 7.1 surround
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Now the real question is, are you prepared to actually pay for a decent sound setup to experience 5.1, instead of a dodgy cheap $60 job?
Unknown. I was thinking of a $80 cheap job (Cdn)

Logitech X-530, I believe. I could also go for a cheaper 2.1 sound setup and upgrade later when I move (can you just add on to the 2.1 speakers?). But that means I need a sound card, from what you say. I'll be playing games in a fairly small room.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Alucard

The 530 is actually quite nice. Only problem being is it lacks a few specific features and its also a bit gutless. Oh sure noone ever plans on raising the speakers to their max output and blasting the entire neighbourhood. But usually if the speakers can handle the power, you have alot less chance of getting shoddy feedback.

The other thing is it doesnt have a built in decoder for stuff like dolby sound etc. Your 5.1 will be nowhere near as scrumptious as what it should be. Sound is generally very important, like most parts. Its like skimping out and just using an onboard soundcard instead of buying a seperate one for proper sound use, or just buying a cheap video card and running things on low. I reallyreallyreally recommend you try to save up a little and go for the logitech 5500. Its a little pricier, but you're going to have this sound setup for 5+ years and longer. They can also be used with your consoles etc if they're in the same room. With the features that this setup comes with, believe me its worth saving up for. One of the best sound systems I've ever heard. And if you ever watch a dvd on your pc, or your tv is next to your pc, DTS with this thing is orgasmic. You do not know love untill you hear DTS sound.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Decado

I'll probably go with the cheaper speakers, to get a taste of what surround sound is like for now, and upgrade later (new speakers and sound card).
Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Alucard

How about you just walk into a store and ask for a demo with the speakers. If you buy the cheap speakers then you'll be stuck with them for half a decade. Why waste the money. Save up an extra month, go buy something awesome that will make you cry tears of joy.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

buying crap speakers is something that can only be regretted. Wait a bit and save cause it's worth it. Right now I have a 7.1 setup that I am enjoying a large amount.
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society

Last edited by Antipilor; 01-18-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
How about you just walk into a store and ask for a demo with the speakers. If you buy the cheap speakers then you'll be stuck with them for half a decade. Why waste the money. Save up an extra month, go buy something awesome that will make you cry tears of joy.
It isn't a matter of "saving up", merely that I don't have the setup right now and I need speakers in the mean time (unless you know some cheap 2.1 speakers that are acceptable as a short term solution). Do you think it is necessary for me to get a sound card (if so what kind?)? If I need one for the future, I'd rather do it now. Speakers I can buy later.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Alucard

Soundcards is a fairly specific question. Theres 2 kinds. You can get the el-cheapo yet brilliant Audigy 2 ZS. Brilliant card with high quality sound. Or spend a bit of money on the new X-FI card. I've got a ZS myself. Though I really would have loved an optic out connection. Look up some specs on each. The ZS can support up to 7.1 dolby digital etcblahblah.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #11
Decado

So it will make that big of a difference over my Gigabyte GA-965P-S3?

This the one you're referring to:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card OEM

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...reative%20Labs
Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Alucard

Nope, this one

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...reative%20Labs