The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Alucard

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes January 30th US/Europe

Yeah, I'm actually totally surprised its out this month. From the sounds of how they've been screwing and changing stuff, I wasnt expecting this game for at least a couple months yet. I wonder how it'll work out.

Quote:
Sony Online Entertainment and Sigil Games Online today announced that the upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game Vanguard: Saga of Heroes will be released to retail outlets across North America and Europe on January 30, 2007, for the suggested retail price of US$49.99. A limited edition is also available for a suggested retail price of US$89.99.

Currently in beta, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes features vibrant environments reminiscent of oil paintings, a robust character customization tool and three distinct spheres of advancement in a seamless world without zoning or instancing. The immersive fantasy world is comprised of three massive, uniquely-themed continents for players to discover new creatures, new items and unlimited adventure. Players have complete freedom to roam the world whether flying dragons to islands in the sky or riding swift steeds to exotic lands.

"We are excited about delivering an MMO with immersive gameplay features that bring new depth and fun to the genre," said Brad McQuaid, CEO, Sigil Games Online. "Vanguard gives players the chance to live in a breathtaking world and try new things such as our diplomacy system and our unique approach to crafting. We're proud to be delivering this level of great gameplay for years to come."
Flying dragons to islands in the sky would be pretty cool. When I first heard of the game I thought it was going to be some grind/camping fest. Seems like its not. Heres a fairly good recent write-up of the game if anyones interested in it.

Theres alot of pretty cool stuff in it though. You can build ships for example.

Quote:
Each of the 17 playable races can choose from a number of character classes - there are 15 in total in the game at present (more will be added after launch, we're assured), but no one race can access all 15 classes, so choosing the right race and class combination is vital (thankfully, the screen where you roll your character is extremely simple and intuitive when it comes to these options - click on a character class, and the races which can play that class are highlighted; click on a race, and the classes it can play are highlighted). These classes range from straightforward "ugh me hit things" guys like the Warrior, through to much more interesting and (somewhat) original classes like the Psionist and the Blood Mage.
17 races.....15 classes... Thats just unreal. And wtf Psionist? I'm interested. I'll be giving the game a little time to see how it launches etc before I thinka bout it some more. Conan and Gods and Heroes wont be out for quite a while yet. Heres the link to the rest of the preview of the game. It does sound pretty interesting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71547
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Reko8

It's been announced for some time that it was coming out the 30th, but the other stuff you posted is pretty good info about it. People have been saying the game is really bad and gets boring pretty fast and even things like diplomacy gets boring. It's too risky to get at launch, I'll wait for a review from someone on the forum.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

I think its a pretty horrible MMO. Easily one of the worst I have played. Others seem to like it somewhat, but even they seem to think it has alot of rough egdes.

Im about to uninstal the Beta. Im gonna give it one more go with my updated drivers and see how things are. If performace is still an issue when it shouldent be then I am done. No point in fucking around with something thats not going to play back.

Armory Link
Catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
Alucard

Whats your cpu/videocard/ram specs Cath?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #5
BloodRedPoetD

Likely, it won't be worth playing until its first two version updates are up and installed, I'll wait until then.
BloodRedPoetD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Whats your cpu/videocard/ram specs Cath?
Xp Media Center
AMP 64x2 3800+ (clocked at slightly over 5ghz in Intel scale)
2 Gigs ram (Running in whatever AMD's version of Hyperthreading is)
Roughly 450 Gb HD space
Nvidea 7600 GS 256mb DDR2 (PNY)

Armory Link
Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Alucard

I'm not seeing where your problem is then. This runs off the EQ2 engine I think, and thats mostly cpu based and not graphic card based. Although alot of the times the beta is more crappier then full release because of programs they have running in the background that try to keep tabs of every error that happens so its constantly scanning.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

I know this, but the game does not play well enough that I realy need to stick around further. The game is in a playable state with some tweaking, but its all bs at the end of the day becouse it realy dosent play that well to begin with. Combat is realy bad. I mean REALY bad. Granted I am overly critical of games, so you may not agree at all.

Even with background proccess's it shouldnt perform how it does at decent settings. It just dosent look like a game that could chug my pc when Oblivion does not. The game has very very poor geomentry. The only think its got going for it is some nice bump mapping and some nice after effects. There are also some realy strange things going on in this game, for example turning towards something and seeing it slide down a hill. Not becouse its suposed to....its just sort of bouncing around in place and downward on a slope.

Armory Link
Old 01-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Alucard

I havent played it yet so I cant say if its good or not, and I'm not sure if I plan to play it yet. I'm only half interested at the moment. And that bouncing thing is probably them not having put in all the animations and stuff. Like supposedly theres a bow attack with no bow animation.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
Yoshi Girl
(mandy)

we might be getting this game.. more than likely not on launch. we have to put more ram in my computer just to run the game.

if anyone gets this keep us updated.
XBL: Mandiford (send me a message so I know who you are)
Yoshi Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
Sidearmm

Its running alot better for me, but the game is average at best. I was hoping to see something a little more innovative then World of Warcraft, yet they have sampled so much from it that Its kind of sad. For example the the dwarven race starts with a racial that allows them to be immune to poison, knockdowns, stuns and increases armor by 10%. Stone form anyone? Oh and the Character Creation screen besides allowing you to adjust your characters traits and such, somewhat resembles Wow's character creation screen to the point. Both have an ingame scene behind the character, both have little buttons with creative pictures on them representing the class they are for. It might sound kinda generic, but if you ever get into the beta or buy the game you'll understand what I mean. The general feel of the game resembles Wow too much for my taste.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Keits
Kaizoku da!

The only thing that resembles WoW is the interface.

The rest of the game (past level 8) is a much different affair. I think its really good (and should get better)... but its not for everyone.

You wont have as good a time playing this casually, and the steeper penalties for death and slower/longer experience curve should help to form a much better community that in more recent MMOs (WoW is peticularly bad).

I'll be playing at launch.
Keits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Keits
Kaizoku da!

If any of you would like to play with me, I will be located on the server "Woefeather"
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
Alucard

Give us your impressions and little tales of the world. I thought at the end of the beta the game was pretty solid. I was really interested in how that diplomacy thing will work and also the unique thing bards have in creating their own music. I wont be playing it though since I'm a little distracted. Maybe I'll look into it in a couple months once everything has died down and settled.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #15
Keits
Kaizoku da!

You want me to do an adventuring blog?

Hmm, I suppose I could do that for my beloved Magicbox community.

I'll be playing a halfling Bard, Vulmane Shaman, and probably a Something-Druid (maybe one of the humans or something?). Thats one class from each archtype, barring the tanks. I kind of want to wait for them to patch the Inquisitor in before I roll a tank.

I played just about every class to level 4,5 or 6 in beta. Every class was very fun to play right from the get go. I was pretty impressed with that.