The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Alucard

Hellgate London: Monthly Pricing?

Quote:
Flagship expects to launch an open beta prior to the launch of the game. Pricing details have not yet been determined, though Roper noted that there will be some kind of trial or free play system for those looking to get a taste of the game without commitment.

"I think that just as Diablo and Diablo II started this religious argument over whether they're RPGs or not, I think that Hellgate will spark that same debate over whether it's an MMO or not," commented Roper, who added that the game has been designed as an MMO from day one.
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/754/754046p1.html

Well thats interesting. Now I'm a little unsure if I want this game. I guess it depends on how TOTALLY LEGENDARY it is before I even consider tossing money to it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
crap, it better be good and for free to play online, I hate paying per month to play a game I just bought.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

This games chances of surpassing Diablo 2 grow slimmer every update.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Looks like the only real PC games I really am excited for now are Portal and Team Fortress 2 and HL2 episode 2, those look awesome.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Seraph
>:3

Its a Western RPG thats not medeval so it automaticly wins points with me.

But is this like pay-to-play, but all the time? As in your basicly renting the game forever? If so Boooooooo!
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Alucard

Arent you doing that right at this moment with PSU?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Seraph

Like i said, i must not be understanding this properly.

I payed my $50 for PSU and I can play all the offline stuff whenever I want. Like every other MMO (pretty much) I have to pay a fee to play online.

This sounds like you cant even buy the game for $50 and enjoy an offline campain. As if you have to "rent" it forever, and the minute you stop paying you cant do jack.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Alucard

I'm pretty sure only online will be charged. There will be a single player part to it.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
Seraph

Oh, well then carry on.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
spider-prime

I'll still buy it if the single player offline, but not for multiplayer if it's pay.

I bet EA put them up to this! THE BASTARDS!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #11
Alucard

Ok heres some info. Do pricing details decided yet, but theres a single player game and an online version, ala Diablo 2. So no worries there. Everythings good again.

Quote:
"We'll probably have some kind of detail in the next month or two as to our pricing model, but the design is both a standalone as well as an MMO, so we want to be able to hit both markets just like we did with the Diablo titles. There are a lot of people that in some instances actually can't get online, and there are also people who are online but for gaming they aren't sure if they want to make that commitment to pay the monthly fee and go online. They can get the game and play the standalone, and get 30 or 40 hours' worth of gameplay. If they like that, they can go online and we'll have a good ramp of some kind for them to go online and check out some of the services. Exactly how we handle that, whether it'll be a trial or whether they can check out some of the game for free, we're still hammering out the final details. Then beyond that it will be pay to play, and again we're about a month out from announcing more on that. But what you're getting with that service is you're getting 24/7 customer service, secure servers, databases, and the biggest thing is that you're getting continuing content. We'll have a full dev team that's on the project from day one. Actually, right when you buy the game, when it launches there will already be content available that you can't get in the single-player--additional monsters, areas, all the community and economy things, you'll be able to form guilds, auction houses, all those things you expect from MMOs."
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007...r_hellgate_1.x
Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
spider-prime

if it's 15-20 dollars, forget it, if it's under 10 dollars a month, preferably 5 dollars a month, I will play it online then, but not anything around 15-20 dollars like most MMOs are, that adds up especially when you have to buy other things in the year.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
Alucard

Theres NOTHING thats over $15. Dont know why you keep saying $20. And those games get updated daily, are constantly under supervision, have weekly changes down to the characters with additions and tweaks, added areas, you're paying for a service, not just to play the game. You look at it wrong.

As for this I doubt it'll be over $10 at the extreme most. I dont see them adding alot of stuff or changing things just for online. Might be alot less.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
spider-prime

Canada some MMOs are 20 bucks after exchange.

The service stinks and is just there to make the extra cash. Online gaming will keep getting worse if everything has to be paid for if you want to keep on playing on them. I rather see ads everywhere in the game to keep costs down, as long if it isn't like spyware infested like BF2142 was but just a downloaded image into the game randomly when you play the game.

I'll probably still buy it for single player, but don't know if I will keep playing it for online, it would have to be the best game ever.

But we don't need new areas, this game is supposed to be dynamic areas like Diablo is.

The way they made the multiplayer sound before was that it was 32 people per server and it would play like a FPS ver of Diablo.

Last edited by spider-prime; 01-11-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Alucard

I dont think someone wants to run around in a fantasy world and see big ads sponsoring Coke, Nice, Sony playstation, and Ford mustang.