The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #46
GrantXP

Sonic Unleashed – Xbox 360
Also available on Playstation 3

Sonic Unleashed is the follow up to 2006 critically panned Sonic 06. I will say something that will shock many... I didn't hate Sonic 06. Ok it was glitchy, frustrating and Sonic almost had a relationship with a human but I finished the game and actually enjoyed it in places.

Sonic Unleashed tries to rectify the wrongs from the 2006 outing and to a large extent it succeeds! The first thing that hits you about this game is the presentation. The intro movie is long, beautifully directed and more than watchable. You are then thrust into Sonic's opening level and everything just works. The view switches between 2D and 3D and whilst the 2D isn't quite as tight control wise as the 16-bit classics it is very playable. The whole thing moves at lightning pace and never slows up. This is in part due to the Hedgehog Engine which looks sensational in places and its refreshing to not see the Sonic Team using off the shelve graphics technology. Sonic's levels are edge of your seat rollercoaster’s. As you move around the world trying to piece it back together you will speed along the Great Wall of China, walk on water in arctic conditions and traverse jungle in the African themed 'Mazuri'. Plummeting to your death randomly as in Sonic 06 doesn't happen as much anymore and generally the system warns you when you are coming up to a speed stopping obstacle or strategically places an extra life after the check point so you don't run out of lives on a really cheap part of the game. This system isn't perfect, the homing attack will often send you flying somewhere not intended and you will swear a lot as you traverse some of the levels. The 'try and die' feel to the gameplay at times won't suit the Sonic purists but when you do eventually learn the levels and make the split second jumps required it's massively satisfying. Thank goodness in this game there you can also use the right and left shoulder buttons to perform a quick dodge which will keep you moving nicely. You can also boost using the X button but this needs to be performed carefully. Randomly boosting will ultimately result in you overshooting a platform so boosting becomes a skill and works well and doesn’t cheapen the gameplay as in Sonic Rush on the DS. Still many levels are brutal and unforgiving. A special mention must go to the final level ‘Eggmanland’ which had me cursing and swearing a whole lot.

Shortly after Sonic's intro you are plunged into the dark side of the game. Initially it is seemingly awful. Sonic becomes a warehog at night in a 'Twilight Princess' stolen idea that doesn't really work. Whilst the warehog looks ok and has a decent array of moves it's not the tightest control implementation and can feel repetitive. But it isn't terrible and you will become used to its quirkiness. Initially as your warehog is weak and you have to collect sun and moon medals so the first warehog level will really get you down. It takes hours and the complications controlling the warehog really will piss you off. But once you get used to it the levels are just about playable and are somewhat a cross between ‘God Of War’ and ‘Banjo-Kazooie’. A mix of fighting and scavenging for items. On paper this doesn't sound bad but the implementation of this fails to match either of the inspired games and this section f the game is heavily average. Thankfully you should only need to play the warehog levels once as you can get most o the medals on a single playthrough. I actually grew to enjoy the warehog sections towards the end of the game as you gain more experience from playing them than the Sonic day levels and they do break the intensity of the game but it's fair to say these levels fail to live up to the spectacular Sonic levels!

On top of this there is the games hub world. Again, it's not a perfect implementation compared to the sophistication of top adventure games nowadays but you can travel around the world buying items, doing tasks for people, exorcising ghosts, and generally solving people’s social issues. These areas of the game serve as filler and were left out of the Wii edition but generally work quite well. Some of the missions are chronically difficult and require perfect playing of the levels. They range from killing every enemy in a sequence, to collecting ingredients through a level or simply reaching a point in a level in a certain time. They add to the game, the hub world also contains level entrances and it is good that there are a number of levels that are accessible outside of the core set of levels to complete the game. Discovering these later and playing through proved to be good fun and adds to the longevity of the game.

One thing is for sure Sonic Team went to town on the games presentation and production values. There are plenty of hidden extras ranging from artwork, records, literature on the game an characters, profiles of the characters you meet. It's refreshing to see that so much hard work has gone into creating this game. Of course warehog aside there are other issues. You have a companion Chip, think Navi from Zelda. To make him always with Sonic they have made him small and floaty, he is actually annoying and pointless and without ruining the mediocre story he has lost his memory and when he rediscovers it it's almost embarrassing what he is and doesn't work when you see the menacing Dark Gaia. Also, given the high production values it seems strange to me that SEGA has not included a way to select levels to replay once you complete them, instead you nee to go back through the hub world and locate them. A menu that allowed you to play completed levels would enhance replay ability significantly.

Sonic Unleashed is a HUGE step in the right direction for the blue mascot and is easily his best outing since Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic fans will lap this up, and whilst it is far from perfection the Sonic levels and side missions along make this a must have for Sonic fans and the warehog levels are not as bad as everyone makes out. Original 16-bit purists this won't convert you. But everyone else should give this a try. Because Sonic is heading back in the right direction and I sincerely hope they make a follow up that continues this trend if just to use the beautiful hedgehog engine again.

Pros - Superb fast graphics. Day levels are immense fun. High production values.
Cons - Warehog levels are average. Controls could be tighter.

Overall - 80%
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #47
Paper exe
Pwnd

I played Sonic World Adventure and I have to say your review really nailed it.

For me the biggest thing that bothered me is how long the warhog stages are, they are like as big as sonic once minus sonic speed. The stages should be warhog friendly in term of length I believe. Beside it is not like they had many good/fresh ideas that they had to stretch the levels to include. Other than that the game is just plain old fun.

The reviews are a good read but huge paragraphs makes having track of the sentence I am in a bit frustrating. Would appreciate splitting those paragraphs in to smaller paragraphs.

keep up the good work.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 AM   #48
GrantXP

Thanks Paper, appreciate the feedback. Always good to get it! I will go through the old reviews this week and try and break them down into bite sized portions.

Did you ever consider the DLC for Sonic Unleashed?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #49
Paper exe
Pwnd

to be honest yes but there are so many intresting full games for Xbox live arcade that I usually end up wasting my money on instead.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #50
GrantXP

Gears Of War 2 - Xbox 360

The original Gears of War was one of the first real Xbox 360 titles to make you appreciate the power of the system. Stunning visuals, a carefully considered coop system and of course the chainsaw!

Gears Of War 2 picks up right where the first one left off and it is everything you have come to expect from a sequel! It's bigger, with more enemies on screen at one time and more epic battle sequences, the visuals have been enhanced and not only do you finally get to fight a brumark (ok I know the PC version of the original contained extra levels that allowed this but now you can even ride and control one). Control wise the system is the same with one of the best cover systems that ha been copied so often in so many games such as Uncharted, Splinter Cell and even GTA. There are some new play mechanics such as using downed enemies as meat shields and you can now have chain duels but these are more minor additions than major overhauls. However taking someone’s head clean off with the sniper or taking out someone at close range with a shotgun still remains incredibly fun and satisfying. The only weapon addition worth mentioning is the mortar which has the same impact as mortars in other games but it is incredibly easy to calculate and really can provide devastating consequences. The visuals are certainly improved with massive environments with huge draw distances and even more detail. The story this time round gets you a lot more involved and the voice acting won't win any Oscars but is competent, you really start to feel for both Marcus and Dom as you play through this game. In the first game they were just jumped up crazy steroid junkies and whilst nothing has changed you start to realise why they have such a harsh exterior in Gears 2 as well as realise they are human and sensitive after all. Something I hope continues to develop in the 3rd instalment.

The single player works just like the first game... It’s good but it won't set the world on fire, this game really comes into it's own when you play the co-op game and I recommend that everyone plays this game co-operatively at least once. There are many set pieces in the game which require good communication. From having to carry a bomb together only equipped with a pistol each whilst being bombarded by wrenches to having to split up while one clears the path for another or the classic car and gunner scenario. It’s all here and playing the game on insane difficulty will require 2 skilled players and good communication. The only dissappointing aspect of the game is the lack of variation with environments. They look very similar to the first game. With the exception of the absurd location in a giant worms intestines it all looks the same as the first game. I don't expect them to have to dash through a sweet factory but a jungle style mission or perhaps some more covert aspects to the mission structure would help the game no end. Whilst they are beautiful the abandoned lab, underground cave and overrun hospital are predictable and won't suprise you.

The game also features the much talked about Horde mode. Which to be honest is a little hit and miss. You battle wave upon wave of enemies and it all gets a bit boring with the most successful way to play this mode is simply to set up a stall near some ammo and take people out as they come! With any less than 4 people this mode is crazy difficult on even casual difficulty to complete all 50 waves but is a nice addition and gives the game a little more replay value. Then there is the multiplayer mode, for some reason this didn't grab my attention the way the first game did. The first game seemed more focused and intense. The second games environments are more open and I often felt a bit overwhelmed when I jumped into matches.

Still for me GOW2 is all about it's stunning coop mode and I have to say in my opinion it's the best coop experience on any console since Mickey’s World of Illusion on the Mega Drive. The campaign will last you approximately 13 hours and if you love it as much as I did you will want to play it again on insane difficulty and find the hidden items. If you own a 360 and have not at least tried GOW2 then you are sorely missing out as the game and the series is one of the best exclusives on the 360. In fact I would go as far as to say it is the best 360 exclusive, and yes that includes Halo

Pros - Impressive visuals. One of the best coop games out. Chainsaw is still awesome.
Cons - Horde mode should be called defend mode. Multiplayer not as focused as first game.

Overall - 92%
Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #51
GrantXP

Gears 2 added... Wanted to get the review out long before the 3rd game is out and while it is fresh in the memory!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #52
GrantXP

Outrun Online Arcade – Xbox 360
*** This game is no longer on PSN due to licensing constraints and will be removed from XBLA in November this year ***

Over Twenty years ago one particular game set the standards for all future arcade racers. Yu Suzuki's Outrun had vibrant varied visuals, was lightening quick and immense fun. No longer was arcade gaming about shooting endless asteroids or gobbling up ghosts with a yellow ball (I say this with no malice, Pac Man is awesome). Instead gamers were driving top of the range Ferrari's to impress hot girls. It became an instant classic. It was some 20 years later before we saw outrun 2 in the arcades and Xbox with the original game being outclassed by a minor arcade hit called Daytona in 1994. But now the sequel is back again in glorious high definition and online mode.

Outrun Online Arcade stays true to the original in many ways. You race through a stage, choose right (hard) or left (easy) at the end of it and there are 5 potential end points that you must race too before the time is up. The game also stays true to the original with it's camera. The camera is rigidly fixed on the cars back unless you drift. It works differently from racing games of today and at first is a little strange but you quickly adjust tote old school style of the game. Outrun 2's graphics have all been redone in higher resolution and the game looks stunning. This is not just a simple upscaled Xbox port, all of the textures have been redone an the visuals have a polish unmatched by most XBLA offerings. The game also, like the original, features a drift mechanic that is imperative to master to be successful at the game and as with all SEGA arcade games the mechanic is easy an intuitive to master. Pull on the break, slam the wheels right or left and hit the power. The controls work well and drifting accurately is very easy. However drifting is of course slightly slower than straight line driving so judging when to use this for maximum speed is an art form and assessing which corners you can take without drifting whilst avoiding a time consuming spectacular crash is part of why Outrun is so addictive!

Every stage is carefully crafted; this is not a realistic racer! So you will go from a woodland stage to an inner city stage to a snow stage seamlessly. Each environment is as beautifully thought through as the last and whilst on paper there are only 15 stages to see you will want to reach every ending and to give the game replay value there is a heart attack mode where you must complete impromptu tasks to impress your girl. These can range from collecting coins, passing traffic or drifting within a certain area. It's not as extensive as the original Outrun 2 'crazy box' style missions but it certainly adds to the game. On top of this there is a continuous mode where you play through all 15 stages and a time attack mode. Then there is the big new addition to this version the Online mode. It actually works very well. Ok games are a bit sparse and you will rarely have more than 5 racers competing but it certainly gives the game some longevity and a new dimension. It played with no slowdown and given that the game typically isn't a conventional racer and
More an 'against the clock' game let you play the game from another perspective.

Of course there are some negatives. Those who played Outrun 2 or Outrun: Coast 2 Coast will have pretty much seen the game before and of course once you have played each course once there is little to keep you comic back to this one apart from the occasional blast at the online mode. Still, 800 points for a game this polished make this game tough to not recommend unless you are a racing simulation freak or just plain hate racing games. It's refreshing to see games like Outrun and Afterburner still have a place in gaming when they probably wouldn't hold up as full retail releases nowadays.

Outrun Online Arcade is exactly the way an arcade/rereleased game should be done on XBLA with remade HD visuals and an online mode. SEGA would do well to take note of Sumo Digitals effort next time they port one of their beloved Dreamcast games. The arcade style won't suit all. But for everyone else this is an immensely fun pick up and play racer.

Pros - Its Outrun 2 in HD. Brand new online mode. Perfect price point.
Cons - It's Outrun 2, there isn't a lot here if you played the original. Limited longterm replay value.

Overall - 80%
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #53
Alucard

Sega cant even sort their crap out to have their games for sale. Good going retards..
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #54
GrantXP

I think it is sad really to have a timed license. Once a game is created that should be it...
Old 02-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #55
GrantXP

Kinect Adventures - Xbox 360 Kinect

When Kinect's pricetag was announced Microsoft softened the blow by announcing that Kinect Adventures would be thrown in with the device. So is Kinect Adventures a glorified tech demo or a worthwhile game in its own right?

Kinect Adventures is a series of mini games packaged beautifully into an explorer style game. Each game is designed to show off the devices abilities and it works well. The games vary greatly, although there are just 5 primary games in Kinect Adventures. These range from the bizarrely fun leak plugging stages where you are in a glass chamber immersed in water and using your character need to plug the gaps to the excellently crafted on rails obstacle course which sees you dive from left to right jumping and ducking collecting coins which are positioned in suck ways that you need to manoeuvre your body into place. You will be star jumping, flying like a bird or pulling the classic Travolta pose from Saturday Night Fever.

This leads on to one of the best features in the game. At these points Kinect will take photos of you in action. It proves to be hilarious with friends and the design choices of when to take pictures is very well thought through. Next there is a bouncing ball game where you have to smash the balls at targets with your legs and hands. When things are slow it works well with the exception of when the ball is at mid height. If it is so much as a centimetre below the waist Kinect expects you to go for it with your foot making things awkward indeed. On top of this after a while multiple balls start flying at you at great speeds. Whilst it’s all very intense I found more often than not I was simply flailing all my limbs hoping for the best. There is also a space room game where you must flap your wings to fly collecting items moving back, forward, up and down which is fairly throwaway. Lastly there is the much advertised rafting minigame (It features on the front cover) and I have to say it is the least fun of the lot. Leaping from side to side and jumping may sound good and with one player it is passable but with 2 players the game barely works. Yes it is supposed to encourage teamwork but most of the time you will spend flailing from side to side shouting at each other. It's fun a few times but very quickly becomes repetitive. This is one of the biggest issues with the game. Despite Rare’s efforts to create a really stylised game with the adventure mode if you are playing alone the repetitive nature if the games will become apparent even though they get harder. Playing alone this game will really get tedious after a while. A major issue with all of Kinect's launch titles.

Without doubt the best feature in the game is the trophy’s you collect which go a long way to make up for the tedium of repeating the same games. After each section of the game you are invited to pose or dance as either your avatar or an animal such as a monkey. It's hilarious and seeing how far you can push Kinect's detection is pretty cool, not only this but these can be uploaded to xbox live for all to see and as always with friends you will laugh a lot at these. Kinect Syndrome does set in even in this feature though as when you are alone rarely will you want to look so ridiculous as to actually take part in these trophy’s.

Whilst Kinect Adventures is great it suffers with the issues so many mini game compilations suffer from! You will only want to play this as a glossy tech demo with friends but it is more forgivable with Kinect Adventures as this is exactly what is was designed for by being thrown in with the device. Although people who have followed the device from its Natal days will recall playable versions of Half Life 2 and the impressive Milo tech demo and may feel let down. Still, this is a tech demo impressively put together with all Rare’s gloss and style and it does exactly what it was designed to do. There's an awful lot to like in this game and it comes loaded with charm but once your friends leave it's back to traditional games once again as we wait for the real hardcore games to come to Kinect.

Pros - Great fun with friends. Great presentation. Trophy poses and photographs are hugely amusing.
Cons - You won't play this much alone. Only 5 minigames which become Repetitive after a while.

Overall - 77%
Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #56
GrantXP

Kinect Adventures added... Short and sweet like the game. Initially great. Got old VERY quickly! Still a nice tech demo IMO
Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #57
Alucard

I had fun that one.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #58
GrantXP

Banjo Kazooie – Xbox Live Arcade
Originally available on Nintendo 64

Back in the mid-ninties Nintendo revolutionised 3D platforming with the incredible Mario 64. When Banjo Kazooie came out it was widely regarded as the Mario killer. The comparison was a little unfair. Despite being similar in control and presentation Banjo was a different style of game. Rather than a world with 6 tasks like Mario in Banjo you have to collect Jiggies, there are 10 in each world and some are unreachable because you may not posses the correct move or because you need to visit the shaaman to transform into a certain creature.

The game Features 9 main levels and a huge game world to explore and is identical in every way to the N64 version. Ok, the resolution has been bumped up and the 2D sprites redone in HD. Purists will notice the giant N' has gone from the intro screen (Yet Banjo still sits on a gameboy in his house) but aside from that the game is identical. The controls map nicely to the 360 controller and remain as flawless and accurate as the original. So you can see this isn't a lazy port. However, with so many great remakes out there I can't help but think that remaking the whole game with the ‘Nuts and Bolts/Viva Pinata’ engine would have been better. Still a few blurry textures aside it looks good enough.

The levels and characters are a strong point of the game. Whilst the dialog isn’t spoken it is at least amusing and each level is colourful and sufficiently different from the next. Ok it uses a lot of stereotypical platform locations: Snow, Sand, water but each level has been carefully crafted and you will actually spend very little time running between tasks wasting time like you will in the sequel. Banjo learns new abilities in each level and each of these abilities is intuitive and easy to pull off and the 2 characters seamlessly work together as one.

As someone who has previously played Banjo it was hard to asses the difficulty of the game. Many of the tasks nowadays seemed absurdly easy. For example a high jump or 2 or 3 easy platforming sections a to collect a jiggy and generally I grabbed 95% of what was in the levels first time. Ok I know roughly where things were but even later less memorable levels to me like the Haunted House level I completed with the greatest ease. Experiences gamers that went on to play The likes of Mario Sunshine/Galaxy may find this a little one dimensional in structure. Gone are the days of executing a high jump or very basic series of jumps for a Jiggy. Still Banjo's charm comes through and if you never got a taste of the N64 classic I strongly recommend you pick this one up. There really isn't a bad thing I can say about this game. The controls are spot on. The camera is perfect. It certainly isn't a sloppy port. If you played the original then you can make your mind up whether you want to go back for nostalgia reasons but for me this represents one of the best games of the 1990's and still holds up as a superb game today. If you missed out and you like platform games this is one of the best on the 360 (and one of the best 3D platformers ever).

Pros - Great port. Precise controls. Great level design.
Cons - could have remade in HD. May seem easy by today's standards. It is exactly the same game as 10 years ago.

Overall - 89%
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #59
GrantXP

Banjo Kazooie mini review added. Been pretty bad updating these lately. More to come this week...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #60
Paper exe
Pwnd

lol I don't know anyone who actually remembers the hunted mission level. I guess it is forgeable by nature. Only thing I remember about it is being one of the toughest level in the game in terms of collecting music notes.

I have to say the soundtrack in Banjo Kazzoie is nicely done. I am surprised that it didn't get your attention.

anyway nice reviews.