The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-31-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Decado

The future of PC gaming. Potential, or the potential for disappointment?

There are no shortage of good ideas out there. There are a decent # of games I'll look at when they get released, but I don't expect a large number of them to be very good.

RPGs: The Witcher, The Broken Hourglass, Hard to be a God, Drakensang: the Dark Eye, Not the Time for Dragons, Age of Decadence

Strategy
: UFO: Extraterrestrials, Combat Mission Shock Force, Disciples III, Battle Lords, Mythic Wars, Galactic Civilizations 2: Dark Avatar, Supreme Commander, Wold in Conflict, Field Ops, Sins of the Solar Empire

Action
: Crysis, STALKER, Bioshock, Half-Life 2 Episode 2

SIM
: Space Force 2, Chonicles of Tarra, Heavy Duty, The Tomorrow War

Adventure: A Vampyre Story

MODs
: Several for JA2, Half-Life 2, NWN2 (one would assume) and ones of variable ambition for a variety of games.

: Jagged Alliance 3, Warlords V, Dragon Age, Afterfall, Alan Wake

Looking at my list, probably over half of those games are in development in Europe/Russia and with only a few exceptions, all are be PC exclusive. I wonder if I should rename this thread "Can Eastern Europe save PC gaming?"
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

the future of pc gaming can either be as good or better than the future of console gaming. Pc games can do the exact same things as console games and imo they do them better than consoles. The only negative of pc games is that you'd have to invest quite a bit of money for upgrades for parts you'd prolly need to run a game properly. The future of pc gaming is only as good as the games that come out and i'd expect there to be some really good ones coming out for a long time.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
Alucard

Theres quite a few you left out in your list. And yes, the best games have always come from europe.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
flowForth
Programmer

Hopefully, the PC market will continue to remain viable for the industry and, thus, PC gamers wont be left out.

The problem for the PC market is that its share of the market has been almost steadily declining due to the spread of consoles and some developers have either stopped developing for the PC market or port their games to the consoles as well.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Theres quite a few you left out in your list. And yes, the best games have always come from europe.
My list is only of games I'm interested in.

And no, the best games haven't always come from Europe.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
SuperAngelo64
Surprise

Quote:

hay guyz wuts goin on in this thread?!?!
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
Alucard

Decado, some of the games you missed out on mentioning that SHOULD end up being great-

Strategy -

Spore
World in Conflict
Disciples 3
Seven Kingdoms
Sins of the Solar Empire

RPGs

Hellgate London
Dragon Age
Starfall

Adventure:

Grey Matter
Simon the Sorcerer 4

Actually theres another 10-15 I'd want to mention but those are in the category of 'possible' awesomeness or just a good game.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Decado

Quote:
Decado, some of the games you missed out on mentioning that SHOULD end up being great-

Strategy -

Spore
World in Conflict
Disciples 3
Seven Kingdoms
Sins of the Solar Empire

RPGs

Hellgate London
Dragon Age
Starfall

Adventure:

Grey Matter
Simon the Sorcerer 4

Actually theres another 10-15 I'd want to mention but those are in the category of 'possible' awesomeness or just a good game.
Hehe. I mentioned some of those. Spore doesn't seem too hot to me anymore, Hellgate London just looks like a bad FPS at this point
(neat idea, but they're not going to pull it off, by the look of it), Starfall I know nothing about (isn't it just a name at this point?). Those adventure games may end up being good (parituclarly Grey Matter), but I probably wouldn't care for them. Seven Kingdoms is too "traditional RTS" for my liking. The 4 others I mentioned.

There are a few others I didn't put on, either. But since I'll be pretty surprised if even a 1/4 of the titles I mentioned end up living up to their potential, I figured I probably shouldn't add them.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

I dont realy like PC gaming. I dont enjoy RTS games and im not huge into FPS's besides the occasional Prey or Sin: Episodes. I also dont realy like PC rpg's unless they are MMO. So I cant realy say that theres much coming out for PC that has me excited.

Armory Link
Catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote