The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

"We are delighted to extend this invitation to you to participate in the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Closed Beta Phase 4."

Sounded like good news when I got the email. 14 hours after its done patching and I have actualy tried it, this game is AWFUL. Stay clear. Thats all I have to say on the subject.

Armory Link
Catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Speaking of Vanguard, if anybody is a subscriber to Fileplanet, you can download the beta now instead of waiting later when it is available to play for all. But yes, I've heard mixed reviews about the game. I'll see for myself how it turns out when I play it.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

Good luck getting it to run. I hope its just becouse its in Beta stage, but even with my above average PC the game ran like crap. Turning down settings helped but then the game didnt look like a game anymore. Tree's were sprites, ground was flat greet texture...

Armory Link
Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

They don't provide a definitive date on Fileplanet, just that it is in the beginning of January. If I recall, Sony did the same thing with EQ2 - that is release an "all is welcome" beta on Fileplanet approximately one week prior to the release.

But was the main problem a graphical one for you?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

No, I have yet to find one redeaming aspect of this entire game so far. Granted everytime I get to around lvl 5 I go off and make a new charicter hoping that that class will play better. I have put in about 4 hours so far and its been miserable.

I have come up with a comparison. Its basicly Runescape but done entirely is Poser or Bryce.

Armory Link
Old 12-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #6
Keits
Kaizoku da!

I'll be trying this one in open beta too. I hear mixed things, but I think thats good.

No way in hell would I want to play with the crowd that loves WoW again. I've never met more incompetant ass holes in one place before. I need an MMO that has some punishment and difficulty to it to force some form of comunity within the game.

But if Vanguard isnt it, Ill just keep waitin'.
Keits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
Nem
Smash bro!

You make no sense keits. WoW is by no means an easy game.
Making a game really hard means making the community really hardcore and unwelcoming wich in turn means less players, less sales, closed servers, the end.

Has for incompetants, i have bad news for you. They are in every online game. No way to get rid of them.

Almost forgot, vanguard... i watched a video and thought it was interesting even though i didnt like the graphic style.

Wanna be more specific about whats good and bad with the game cathar?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

I can try. It may be better if I just make a video and throw it up on youtube.

Combat is disjointed. Targeting is a joke. Looting can be one of the most complictaed acts(good luck looting in a place with many corpses "You cant loot 2 corpses at once"). I had to go 30 feet away from this one tree to I could un-target it for some friggan reason. You cant tell what lvl some things are and becouse the game is so murky and dark sometimes you will end up fighting something you shouldent. I was 1 Hitted by a small child becouse she was standing ontop of a zombie farmer.

The interface is one of the worst I have ever seen. To cast a spell of use an effect you click on a button. Fair enough, but when you do that a huge box covers most of the screen showing you all the combat data. Combat is obscured by boxes showing what your abilitys are. ALL THE TIME. There is no way to turn this off.

Im going to end up playing some more, I have been waiting fo rthis game since it was first shown as an xbox title years ago. Ill give more impressions later. Maybee a video.

Armory Link
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keits
I'll be trying this one in open beta too. I hear mixed things, but I think thats good.

No way in hell would I want to play with the crowd that loves WoW again. I've never met more incompetant ass holes in one place before. I need an MMO that has some punishment and difficulty to it to force some form of comunity within the game.

But if Vanguard isnt it, Ill just keep waitin'.
COntrary to what Nem said, this is probally one of the easiest posts for me to agree with. So many people soloed their way to the mid 50s+ that youd get in a Pick-up group for srat or Scholo and the warlock doesnt know what a portal is. And then when you get to end-game raiding, there are always 5 or so people who have no clue what is going on, and usually wipe the group 3 times before they finally release they are supposed to heal halfway through the fight.

Ontop of that, there are no death penalties, and Mods (though the biggest one was just cracked down upon) to make things even easier.

To escape incompetents, play EQ or FFXI and get to the halfway mark. Rarely does a retard make it that far and still be allowed to group. Ofcourse, these games might not appeal to you though.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

Actualy its fairly easy to avoid idiots in WoW. Simply hide all channels but Guild channel like all the other decent people. If you are in a good guild all those other channels are unnessasary anyways and you wont even be partying with people that you dont often play with.

I will agree on your other point though. I hold FFO in high regards. I have a love and hate relationship with it.

Armory Link
Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
Keits
Kaizoku da!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharsis
Actualy its fairly easy to avoid idiots in WoW. Simply hide all channels but Guild channel like all the other decent people. If you are in a good guild all those other channels are unnessasary anyways and you wont even be partying with people that you dont often play with.

I will agree on your other point though. I hold FFO in high regards. I have a love and hate relationship with it.

You need death penalties to force people to not want to die.

Not wanting to die forces people to play as a team.

Team play forces people to recognize and rid themselves of players who are not playing for the group.

Solo'ing to level 60 in WoW is retarded. You get there, and suddenly there is nothing left to do but party/group. And at least 90% of the people there have no idea whats going on. Its frustrating to someone who plays these ONLINE games for the fact that I'm with OTHER PLAYERS.

Like it was said, in FFXI, you were forced to group by level 15, and you were generally well-known if you were an idiot by level 30 or 40. Same with EQ. These games need that, or they become the casual-fest that is WoW.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #12
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

Well thats were I disagree. I like WoW becouse it can be played either way. At the very most I would say its sort of and Arcade MMO if you can understand what I mean.

There is a death penelty, the damn cost to repair. Thats enough to make me not want to die.

ANd like I said, if you are in a good guild then there is no need for you to party with people you dont want to. You dont need to be in a tier clad raiding guild, just any old guild with a dcent amount of people and some good inbound rules of conduct.

I play WoW and will continue to becouse games are a form of relaxation and I get that in WoW. I do not get frustrated like in FFO. I loved FFO but it was a constant struggle to keep playing even though it was clunky and just poorly set up. Now if a FFO2 came out and they made the game PLAYABLE one some lvl (Interface, control, better quest logging/tracking, easyer first few lvls) then I would be all over it like ham on jelly.

Alot of people act like WoW is some huge travesty of gaming, in reality it is not. Success brings out the negative in anything. FFO would be no different if it was as overly populated as WoW, infact it was just like that when I first played. I will agree that WoW is not the greatest thing ever made, but it certainly is the best MMO(comunity aside, im talking game play/structure/layout) out there these days. I will keep playing until I find something better becouse I dont let myself be bothered by things I can control. If you dont like the community in WoW then play with your guild.

Armory Link
Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #13
Keits
Kaizoku da!

No. WoW is GREAT for people like you. People who want a more casual game where the death penalty is an ammount of gold you can earn in less than 5 minutes.

WoW is NOT great for EVERYONE. You are right, its an Arcadey-MMO. I liked it enough to play three characters to level 60. And now, I realize that I want something more like FFXI and EQ, instead of easy street.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
Reko8

I always thought soloing to lvl 60 was the most STUPIDEST idea there ever was for a MMORPG. Why would you want to play by yourself in a game where you should party? MMORPGs are for socializing, not playing alone.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #15
BloodRedPoetD

Your issue about the targeting sounds more like you don't know how to play the game than the game being bad. I'll take your word on that you PC is good and it's the game's fault it is running poorly on higher settings.
BloodRedPoetD is offline   Reply With Quote