The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-23-2002, 03:51 PM   #16
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

My name his Jo-ashley from Montreal Canada
I'm a 2d| 3d graphic. I'm currently working at Ubi Soft Montreal( those who's responsible of the game Rayman...-.- !) Love drawing & all kind off design. I mostly listen to Soul & R'n'B

Last edited by Black Sugar; 03-18-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:49 PM   #17
gabriel
infinity in finity

Thanks for the tips Pdaimaoh

I live in a pretty small town, so unfortunately there are no used game shops, or any game shops for that matter (I have to drive 30km to buy games).

I want a Japanese Saturn since I plan on getting mostly imports (I cant stand those elongated jewel cases used in North America ), so ebay will probably be my best bet...

Nice to see I'm not the only Canadian here (actually I'm Polish, but I've lived in Canada for about a decade).
gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:30 PM   #18
Pdaimaoh

polish?

are there a lot of polish people in canada? the admin of a forum I spend time in is of polish decent but lives in canada!

ha! the 'elongated boxes' UTTERLY SUCK
god only knows how friggin high on crack sega execs/PR/marketing idiots were when they cooked up 'hey, CDs are slim and easy to store! let's change all that!' for the SegaCD

then whatever idiot thought 'well gee, we ordered so many cases and the segaCD did so poorly, why don't we order more and use them up for the saturn, instead of maybe making them SLIM LIKE OUR INTELLIGENT JAPANESE PARENT COMPANY DOES...oh yeah, and while we're at it, let's change that controller! no need to spoil these north americans...'

as far as imports, I only imported the Capcom games, which I'm very happy that Vampire Savior on Saturn has many wonderful things such as A FULL ENGLISH LANGUAGE option, and a merging of Vampire Savior and Vampire Savior 2 from the arcades (finally, Phobos gets a VS ending!)

but I had the PAR 4 in 1 deal, so the added cart and conversion wasn't a problem
other than fighting, my most favored games were RPGs, and those are too difficult to enjoy in a language I don't understand

lik-sang and some UK online store still get those saturn modchips in...
Old 04-23-2002, 08:07 PM   #19
gabriel
infinity in finity

I dont know how the Polish population in Canada compares to the other minorities, but I'm guessing there arent that many. Well, there's enough to warrant Polish-only doctors/dentists/priests/etc if need be, so maybe there's more than I would have thought.

Which forum is that, if you dont mind me asking? Maybe I've heard of it.

RPGs are my preferred genre also, but for most other types of games I think language barrier would be negligible. It would would also provide me with an excuse to learn Japanese. I already know a few languages, so learning one more shouldnt be a problem
gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:15 PM   #20
testtubebaby

sup sup,

i'm colin, a twenty-year-old psychology major at the university of houston. while at college i spend alot of time online at sites like fark or something awful and posting on bulletin boards, playing videogames in my dorm or at the campus arcade (mmm, educational distractions), and pulling shinanigans on the other dorm residents with the guys on my floor.

oh, and i make retarded photoshop pics of my friends and i, like so...

and then when i'm home at miami it's hanging out with friends wherever and working *sigh*

fav. genres: rpg, action, adventure, puzzle, racing
Old 04-24-2002, 01:09 AM   #21
Crono

just a random thought here ... isn't the "profile button" underneath every post supposed to substitute for this? ^^

since it's my first try at these message board things, I'll lack the images and text effects ... bear with me
Old 04-24-2002, 01:14 AM   #22
Pdaimaoh

polish canadians? what's your bacon and sausage like?

the site is www.emulazone.com
it's run by AirZoom, a polish canadian

it's also the home to the forums for the site AND the site of www.rpg-zone.com (don't bother, it's got some nice reviews, but no notice that all downloads are down and staying down! arrgh, they don't tell because they want banner clicks to help pay for their PRIVATE ftp for members of rpg-zone...)

anyway, the forums are mostly emulation related, with a section for RPGmaker2000

currently it's got some reduced traffic problems because one of the other moderators was really 'ban happy' until he was cracked down upon
Old 04-24-2002, 04:53 AM   #23
chocotek

well...my name is Adam...im 24 i live in San Francisco like it says overthere <~~ . anyways, i like videogames, cars, cooking, sports...so uhh yeah, thats me
"Next time some eight-foot-tall, wild-eyed maniac taps the back of your favorite head up against the bar-room wall and asks you if you've paid your dues, well, you just do what ole Jack Burton always does at a time like that. You stare that sucker right back in the eye. "Have you paid your dues, Jack?" "Yes, sir, the check is in the mail." - Jack Burton
chocotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:37 AM   #24
Kamui
Silent god

Hi, my name is Leonardo. 22 years old, 13 dedicated to videogames.
I like anime, have a huge collection of music cd?s, love RPG?s and I am a FAQ writer also. I graduated recently on microbiology, and work on quality control of vegetables.

Nice to meet you all.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:30 AM   #25
Nasanu

I am Nathan, 22, Australian.

I am a freelance Internet Developer which basically means I am out of work 8 months of the year, but soon to be at uni (collage) studying IT for the second time. This time I won't drop out ;)

I am a fan of anything Japanese hence my online name of Nasanu being Katakana for Nathan. I am gaiming otaku and my current collection of hardware stands at:

32X
2 Saturns
PSX
Dreamcast
PS2

If I just had more cash I would have more consoles

Oh I am also a massive GT fan. PD are gaming gods.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:00 AM   #26
Badboon

Talking

Um...hi...
Here's some basic info about me.

Name: Badboon
Nationality: Black Canadian
Hobbies: Drawing, video gaming, reading, writing, etc.
Interests: Video games, computers, Science Fiction, Biology/Nature, books, Nintendo, etc.
Favourites Video game Types: Puzzle, RPG, Side Scrollers, SHMUPS.
Video game Systems Owned: SNES, NES, N64, Game Boy Colour, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, and Playstation.
Dislikes: Most modern music, socializing, talking, Winter, tomatoes, etc.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:04 AM   #27
piyo

Talking another intro

Name's piyo, I'm going to be "anonymous" just for change.

Age: 27. Gaming since 9. Not as old as that "non-specific console gaming 31 year old.", but I've got the non-specific down.

Location: Kobe, Japan. I loved gaming and anime so much I moved from Southern California (U.S.) to Japan. What can I say, all the good gaming stuff comes out here!!!! :p

Occupation: Windows application programmer. I've probably too old to get into the PC or console gaming industry. I'm not creative or smart, but I wouldn't mind being a QA tester or a tools developer for games.

Console Gaming: Atari 2600, NES, Gameboy, SNES, Turbografx-16, PSX, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast-jp, Gameboy Advance, PS2-jp. I like:
  • 2d, 3d platform action (Ico, Jax & Daxter, Milton's Secret Castle, Pitfall)
  • puzzle (Tetris w/Card Captor Sakura, Bubble Bobble, Hangman)
  • pinball (Kirby's Pinball, Pokemon Pinball, Pinball Construction Set)
  • fighting (Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore, Final Fight One, Karateka)
  • "light" RPGs (Final Fantasy X, Chrono Trigger, Adventure)
  • SHMUPS (Psyvariar, Raystorm, River Raid, Yar's Revenge, Combat)
  • strategy (Military Madness)
  • sports (Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mario Tennis, Skate or Die, Tennis)
  • dating/love simulations (Mizuiro, To Heart, Roommate Ryoko)
  • "futuristic" racing games (Wipeout Series, Road Blasters).
I'm planning to get a Nintendo 64-jp, an XBox-jp, a GameCube-jp(DVD player included). In that order. Really. ^_^;

PC Gaming: I also play PC games online, notably Unreal Tournament (aspiring CTF flag carrier). I also buy the occasional adult anime PC game (Momiji --Ningyou ja arimasen--, Private Emotion).

Anime: Anything Studio Ghibli. Series like Maison Ikkoku and almost anything by Rumiko Takahashi. Robotech. More recently, Chicha na yuki tsukai Sugar and De-ji-charat style anime.

Dark-side: I have a modded PSX, I support emulation, ROM/game trading, I buy used games.
Light-side: I've probably spent at least 4000 USD for console gaming alone over my lifetime.

Dislikes: flames, name calling, obvious trolling.

Now, back to the games! Let's keep the discussion s/n ratio high... And thanks for reading!

---
piyo in almost-full-disclosure mode

Last edited by piyo; 04-26-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:13 PM   #28
Pdaimaoh

oh YEAH, baby

anyone that likes Robotech is worthy, too!

btw, you are at the 'leaving' age for most industry people that aren't rich producers and petty managers

by that I mean most people got into it a bit earlier, then realized if they were doing a job that required no talent, they got crappy pay and no respect and if they did a job with REAL talent, they could go somewhere else to get better pay and a better atmosphere rather than crappy pay and hardly any respect...

some people stay in for a long time, though
however, if you do real work, like programming, you might end up working a TON of overtime
which might suck if you find yourself in a salaried position...

you could still get in, but ambition/motivation had better be a part of your personality, because you don't wanna be treated like a shmuck just because your co-workers are shady...
Old 07-12-2002, 04:05 AM   #29
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

noobalicious!

Bump for all the noobs. I'll also stickify this.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 05:37 AM   #30
AFIguyX

I'm new! bump!