The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Neverwinter Nights 2

I picked it up yesterday and have played it for a few hours. It is extremely difficult to target and attack moving enemies. So much so that it is almost necessary to pause the game to select and engage targets for each fight in order to choose the right unit. Also, be prepared for combat to move at a snail's pace at the very beginning since your characters will have low-to-hit ability in addition to waiting 3 seconds to perform their next melee attack.

One issue I have with the multi-player mode is that the same amount of money and loot is dropped as in the single-player campaign. Thus, for example, if you are playing with 3 other people, it will take a while for everyone to afford better equipment and weapons.

In general, many people on forums have stated that they were very dissappointed with the interface and camera angles. I'll give it some more time to see if things get better. But so far, there are some changes I hope they address in future patches.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Decado

Considering a game like this lives or dies based on support from the developers and community, I suspect/hope we'll see a constant flow of patches and upgrades (particularly the technical aspects, which are apparently awful). If Atari doesn't approve them the franchise will die.

I'll eventually get the game...but I'm going to wait for a least a few months.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Alucard

I'm expecting modders to screw with the interface and possibly the textures too. Other then that I hear the game is very good.

Funny info, 1up reviewed it and gave it a 5, reason being the reviewer doesnt like D&D. He was flamed for like 2-3 days solid till the stupid site removed the review. They prove themselves idiots more and more each day. I fear they're worse then IGN.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

I think after the first one it is going to be hard for this not to be a disappointment in some fashion.
da missinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:08 AM   #5
Decado

NWN2 gives you control of your companions in combat. That alone makes it a huge improvement over NWN.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:12 AM   #6
Anthrax

I wish it was full control like BG or IWD. The AI is dungeon pathing is stupid!
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
Alucard

Quote:
Upon further review of the author's text, listening to the feedback from our community and others, and after internal discussion between the 1UP and GFW editors, we have determined that the text of the review did not live up to our editorial standards. We respect the opinions of Mr. Peckham and all of our writers, but we felt that this particular review of Neverwinter Nights 2 did a disservice to fans of the RPG genre.
LOL. Heres the poor review incase anyone missed it. Its possibly the WORST review ever created and the guy should be fired for not even trying to do his job.

Quote:
By Matt Peckham
This review appears in the January issue of Games For Windows: The Official Magazine.

----

As everything-the-original-did -- and more -- follow-ups go, Neverwinter Nights 2 deserves a banner&something like "mission accomplished." Think the sequel to Jurassic Park, where Spielberg's all "You want more dinosaurs? I'll show you more dinosaurs..." As a contemporary CRPG, on the other hand, NWN2 leaves a lot to be desired, and that's too bad, because these are the guys who brought us Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale 2...and therefore they are the guys I'm least inclined to take issue with.

But issues exist, and defining them is really no more complex than saying, "Hello D&D superchrome, buh-bye storytelling and character development (you know, those things you're supposed to "immerse" yourself in)." The idea seems to be that we're meant to rah-rah about a superabundance of feats, spells, races, prestige (advanced) classes, and math-equation tickers full of the usual "I attack you with a +4 sword of --" booooooring. Fine, sure, dandy...but when is a "role" not a "role"? Simple: when it's a rule to a fault.

Ever loyal bites
I'm cruising for a bruising (don't I know it), but NWN2 is a splash of cold water to the face: A revelatory, polarizing experience that -- in the wake of newer, better alternatives -- makes you question the very notion of "RPG by numbers." It foists Wizards of the Coast's latest v3.5 D&D system (a molehill that's become a mountain at this point) onto your hard drive with stunning fidelity, then tacks on dozens of artificial-looking areas vaguely linked by forget-table plot points you check off like grocery to-do's.

Sure, the interface is sleeker with context-sensitive menus and a smart little bar that lets you more intuitively toggle modes like "power attack" and "stealth," but with all the added rule-shuffling, NWN2 seems like it's working twice as hard to accomplish half as much. Worse -- and blame this on games like Oblivion -- NWN2's levels feel pint-sized: Peewee zones inhabited by pull-string NPCs with no existence to speak of beyond their little playpens. Wander and you'll wonder why the forests, towns, and dungeons are like movie lots with lay-about monsters waiting patiently for you to trip their arbitrary triggers. As if the pencil and paper "module" approach were a virtue that computers -- by now demonstrably capable of simulating entire worlds with considerably more depth -- should emulate. It's like we're supposed to park half our brain in feature mania and the rest in nostalgic slush, and somehow call bingo.

The dungeons feel especially stale, so linear and inorganic they might as well be graph-paper lifts filled with room after room of pop-up bogeymen (Doom put them in closets; NWN2 just makes the closets bigger). Maybe you'd rather chat with the dumb NPCs that speak and sound like extras in a bad Saturday morning cartoon? Oh, boy -- there's the portrait "plus" sign! Time to shuffle another party member (improved to four simultaneous) through the level-up grinder, which you can click "recommend" to zip past...but then, what's the point?

Rule-playing game
In all fairness, it's not entirely developer Obsidian's fault. D&D certainly puts the "rule" in role-playing, and a madcap base of D&D aficionados is no doubt ready to string me up for suggesting that faithful is here tantamount to folly (to these people, I say: "Go for it, NWN2's all you've ever wanted and more"). Call me crazy -- I guess I'm just finally weary of being led around on a pencil-and-paper leash and batting numbers around a glorified three-dimensional spreadsheet in a computer translation that should have synthesized, not forklifted.

That five-of-10 is actually a hedge, by the way. For D&D fans who want to play an amazingly thorough PC translation of the system they're carting around in book form, it's proba-bly closer an eight or nine. But if, like me, you want less "rules for rule's sake" and more depth and beauty to your simulated game worlds, you can certainly find more exciting prospects. Part of the reason we call them "the good old days" and think fondly of games past is that it's always easier to love what we don't have to play anymore.

5/10
Old 11-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Sidearmm

I get the feeling that I'm playing a modded version Knights of the Old Republic. Don't get me wrong I'm loving the game and having alot of fun playing it, but it seems very buggy
Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 AM   #9
Alucard

http://pc.ign.com/articles/744/744605p1.html

A good interview with the lead designer. I love how the game gives you so much freedom in creating items. Oh, pennyarcade pwn.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

I downloaded the Vordan Hero Creator at Fileplanet. When used, you start the new module in a small map with a fairy who allows you to choose how many levels you want to be (1-20) in addition to money. There are also merchants on that map that sell everything available in the game. It's a good way to experiment with the classes and mess with the crafting system early on. Here is the link for it:

http://www.fileplanet.com/170062/170000/fileinfo/Neverwinter-Nights-2---Vordan's-Hero-Creator
Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

Sounds like it would be worth giving a try. Right now I'm going the path of Drizzt as a drow ranger. I know its kind of stupid, but drow are one of my favorite races from the Swords of the Coast universe.
da missinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
Nindalf

neverwinter nights.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote