The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

GeForce 8800GTX Performance Explored

DailyTech spends more quality time with NVIDIA's upcoming GeForce 8800GTX

NVIDIA is set to launch its upcoming G80 GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS graphics cards next week, however, DailyTech snagged a GeForce 8800GTX board to run a couple quick benchmarks on. The GeForce 8800GTX used for testing is equipped with 768MB of GDDR3 video memory on a 384-bit memory bus as previously reported. Core and memory clocks are set at 575 MHz and 900 MHz respectively. Other GeForce 8800 series features include 128-bit HDR with 16x anti-aliasing and NVIDIA’s Quantum Physics Engine.

Previous NVIDIA graphics cards in single card configurations were limited to lower levels of anti-aliasing. With the GeForce 8800 series, users can experience 16x anti-aliasing with only a single card. DailyTech has verified the option is available in the NVIDIA control panel.

The physical card itself is quite large and approximately an inch and a half longer than an AMD ATI Radeon X1950 XTX based card. It requires two PCI Express power connectors and occupies two expansion slots. An interesting tidbit of the GeForce 8800GTX are the two SLI bridge connectors towards the edge of the card. This is a first for a GeForce product as SLI compatible graphics cards typically have one SLI bridge connector.

Having two SLI bridge connectors onboard may possibly allow users to equip systems with three G80 GeForce 8800 series graphics cards. With two SLI bridge connectors, three cards can be connected without any troubles. NVIDIA is expected to announce its nForce 680i SLI and 650i SLI chipsets with the GeForce 8800 series. NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI and 650i SLI based motherboards are expected to have three PCI Express x16 slots.

Moving onto the performance DailyTech has selected Half Life 2: Lost Coast, Quake 4, Prey and 3DMark06 for benchmarking. These games and applications were selected as other games use the same game engine. In addition to performance tests, DailyTech was also able to measure power consumption.

The test system configuration is as follows:

For Benchmarks head over here. To lazy to format it to make it readable:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812

Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Chronos
fuggit

I think i just adjusted my budget for a new pc...good god that's lovely.

awesome news. it's going to be so worth the wait.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Alucard

Card doesnt seem to take as much power as I was thinking it would. Plus we need to remember these drivers arent optimized yet. I bet they could squeeze out an extra 20fps easy.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Decado

So when do DX10 cards start coming out?
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Alucard

Couple weeks at most. Possibly sooner.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
Decado

For the price of two PS3s?
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
wait, does it require 2 PCI-E slots or just takes up the space of 2?

also, if it says I need about/around 450 watts power supply, how much bigger should I need the PSU to make it run stable without killing it?

I have a 500 watt right now with 2 HDDs, 3 DVD drives other then the usual stuff hooked up to it like the mother board and graphics card.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
Alucard

wtf do you need 3 DVD drives for. Get rid of 2 and buy yourself a bigger HDD.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
For when I make DVDs and then want to listen or watch a DVD at the same time

and my first HDD is a small one that came with the computer, I already have a 500 HDD for the storage, I didn't bother switching it to be the main bootup one.

Now ANSWER MY QUESTION!
Old 11-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

Quote:
It requires two PCI Express power connectors and occupies two expansion slots.
Read the article

anyway. i found this 'interesting' about ATI's new GPU
Quote:
Xstreme Hardware has learned that ATI's new G80 competitor, codenamed R600, may not not even compete against the G80 offering at all. If rumoured specifications are to be believed, the R600 will be in a different league, with people already talking about needing SLI G80 to potentially keep up with it.

It is already known that R600 will be a DX10 card manufactured on an 80nm process.
Apparently, R600 cards will be the first to feature a true 512-bit memory interface, eclipsing nVidia's 384-bit almost immediately. A result of this, coupled with 1024Mb of 1250Mhz GDDR4 (2.5Ghz effective) would be an unbelievable 160Gb/s bandwidth. That's certianly something to look forward to, and with a potential launch of 1Q 2007, I would love to see this confirmed sooner rather than later, if only to make nVidia think about pricing with their G80.
http://xstremehardware.co.uk/index.p...d=127&Itemid=2
Old 11-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
spider-prime

that doesn't help, cause when I look at the card, it shows only one PCI-E pin connector, so it leads me to believe that it only needs the space and now the slot.

and which Power supply you will actually need if you have quite a few things in it already. I have a 500 watt already, will I have to upgrade to a 600 watt even if I took out my extra drives?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

You should be able to get away with it. I highly doubt the drives take 150 watts. I think the 450watts takes to account your MB, CPU, HDD, and Optical drive.

You should be fine if its a good brand PSU.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
spider-prime

ok that's good to know.

Cause I really want to get at least the 8800GT or whatever ATI releases, whichever is the cheapest for the best power. 600 USD is the highest I will bite for this card since it will hopefully last me for quite a while.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
Alucard

ooh I wanna see more info on the ATI card. spider, you only need 1 pci-e slot, but you need 2 power connectors for the card or more or something. Also remove your dvdroms. Seriously you dont need 3. It just eats up power. If you listen to music that much then just rip them into mp3s since you have plenty of room. Having more then 1 drive is pointless.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #15
spider-prime

not if I make direct copies of CD/DVD which I do a lot.