The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Leguna

Leguna's reviews

Gameplay: 8 out of 10
-Ok, Dead Rising has a lot going for it and a lot going against it here. What it had going against it had nothing to do with save points (plenty of those in the game), as many reviews like to push. The major problems were CHECK POINTS!!! There aren?t any!!! If you die, you start where you last saved and in a game where you are fighting against the clock, you don?t take time to go save. It would have made this game so much better if there were check points after every loading screen. Every time I died I had to play through at LEAST 10 minutes, sometimes 1 hour?s worth of gameplay to get to where I left off/died.

-Dead Rising also needed multiple save slots. Only ONE save slot, bad idea Capcom, you should known better.

-The other problem is the bosses in the game. If you don?t have a gun, you are fucked 90% of the time and you never know when you are going to run into one, SO STOCK UP ON GUNS!!! Oh and while I?m giving you advice, don?t ?save status and quit,? that resets your file to the start of the game. Saving people will get frustrating, so avoid it the first time through.

-On the good side, killing zombies has never felt so satisfying and rewarding. I found myself killing zombies when I really didn?t need to for no better reason than because I was itching to do so; I think everyone can agree with me here.

-The real time cinemas are excellent. The story is very engaging and because the whole game is in real time (1 minute = 1 hour type of thing), it give it this unique feeling that ?it?s happening.? Saving people was fun, but dying to save them was not. I felt terrible when I couldn?t save people, even though you don?t have to, to complete the game. So eventually, I quit saving people and just killed time until the end. Dead Rising was very successful with its atmosphere.

Music/Sound: 5 out of 10
-WHERE?S THE MUSIC??? This game needed WAY more music!!! The ?elevator music? throughout the game was atmospheric and all (in the few places where it was), but a real soundtrack would have been far better. This hurt Dead Rising more than anything else.

-The voice acting is excellent. Some of the best out there! I really got into the characters and Frank West?s voice couldn?t have been better. Good job on the casting Capcom!!!

Visuals: 9 out of 10
-Wow! That?s a lot of zombies on screen at once! And on top of that they all have physics for when a car runs them over or a zombie falls on another, like a domino effect. You?ll see the power of next-gen in this game; it?s a makes great use of the 360?s power. The textures are ultra detailed, the models and tit physics are good and the blood is very well done. Dead Rising is one of the few games on 360 to actually feel like a next-gen game. The motion blur they put in adds sooo much! Kudos to Capcom for the subtle motion blur.

-Dead Rising has the BEST motion capture animation in a game I?ve seen yet. The motion capture acting is sooo good; everything from the subtle nods the head to a little twitch in the hand.

-The reason for a 9 and not a perfect 10 is there really isn?t anything in this game to blow your mind graphically other than the number of enemies. There really aren?t any outstanding special effects either. If it weren?t for the number of enemies and the high-res textures, it would look like an XBOX game.

FINAL JUDGMENT: 7.3 out of 10
-This is not a killer app. This is not game of the year material. It?s arguable if it?s even worth buying. But it?s a noble effort compared to most 360 games. This game really couldn?t be done on current-gen and it?s nice to see that. The gameplay is pretty unique but it suffers from lack of music and check points. Music and can SOOO much to a game?s experience just as it could add so much to movie.

WANT TO ARGUE OR CHALLENGE MY REVIEW? I'll RESPOND TO ALL REPLIES TO THIS REVIEW AT **link removed**

PROFESSIONAL REVIEW AVERAGE: 83% POSITIVE
GameSpy: 4.5 out of 5 POSITIVE
IGN: 8.3 out of 10 POSITIVE
GameSpot: 8.4 out of 10 POSITIVE
GamePro: 4 out of 5 POSITIVE
Official Xbox Magazine: 8.5 out of 10 POSITIVE
Electronic Gaming Monthly: 7.5 out of 10 NEGATIVE
Game Informer: 9.25 out of 10 POSITIVE
UnderGroundOnline: A- POSITIVE
TeamXBOX: 8.7 out of 10 POSITIVE
Games Radar: 8 out of 10 POSITIVE
Gaming Age: A- POSITIVE
Game Trailers: 7.8 NEGATIVE

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 10-03-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Leguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hmmmm delete or not delete? If it is to stay, then someone needs to give me an awesomely convincing argument for it. You have 8 hours... or so.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Paper exe
Pwnd

Don't embarrass the guy Joe, have some mercy. You could PM him. There is no reason to make it public and embarrass him in front of the world.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Hmmmm delete or not delete? If it is to stay, then someone needs to give me an awesomely convincing argument for it. You have 8 hours... or so.
You never closed my single-game review threads. I see no problem with it, anyway. The name of the board is Game Reviews...and that's exactly what he did.

Eh. No reason to delete it. If anything, just change it to ____'s reviews.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
Leguna

Quote:
I'm confused, please explain.
Leguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:32 AM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well, it was basically a post linking to another forum (I removed the link) so it is bordering on SPAM.

Quote:
WANT TO ARGUE OR CHALLENGE MY REVIEW? I'll RESPOND TO ALL REPLIES TO THIS REVIEW AT **link removed**
A legitimate review thread would allow responses to be made here instead of some other lame forum.

Paper, you annoy me. I want to ban you just for fun.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
justin_credible

Quote:

Paper, you annoy me. I want to ban you just for fun.
Agreed Paper's lost it. He's been hanging around Americans too much! (on these forums)
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
Paper exe
Pwnd

Lost what!? I wouldn't hang out with some crazy alcoholic or some wacko guy with disgusting tattoo or perverts or stupid people who thinks that being a moron (evil) is cool.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I want the next dead rising game to be a Zombie invasion simulator. You build a strong hold and design a plan and weather the storm and get scored.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

why are some people saying there is cusing in this game and some saying there isn't!!???

someone tell me the truth!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
Joe Redifer
Olé!

There is. Maybe some of the other people have their Xbox360's set to "mommy mode" or something.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

awww... and i REALLY want this game..... mabey i can just set it to mute..... but without blood gushing sound effects it just isn't that good.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #13
George Foreman

There is cussing but it's not over the top like in Prey and probably how Gears of War will be. And mostly it's just people saying "Damn", and "Hell". I can't remember anyone besides Frank(on rare occations) cussing thogh.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #14
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Sometimes if you fall from a high distance or Frank is really hurt, he'll yell

SHIT!
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:15 AM   #15
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

o ok! well my dad is getting Gears of War and the 360 is STUCK IN MY ROOM FOREVER!!!! so i'll just lower the voices when i play

and if its only lower class cussing then i can get it