The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 09-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
diunx
The Devil Loves You

ps3 powered on

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=29114

Quote:
picture was taken by mobile telphone. so it aint perfect. but it looks alright so you get the idea.

unfortunate i cant tell you where i took this picture, that has to stay secret.

ok i upped 1 more picture.

this is the backside of the PS3. the cable near the power switch is the power cable. the other cable is the HDMI cable that goes to the TV.

also between those 2 plugs is the network cable plug. it gives a little red color.

ok just back. please understand my situation that i cant type to much. i have to be carefull about that. that is why i didnt make a pic with the serial number on it

the ps3 is silent. doesnt make much noise. except in beginning a little noise when starting to boot the disc.

i dont have much time at the moment, but about the games. i havent played all the games just a few.

resistance fall of men is the best game i played so far. i have no doubt that when it comes out it will be named as best FPS ever released on a console.

i know bolt statement. but once you can pick up Gears of War and Resistance and compare. you will see that gears play more like Doom 3 and Resistance more like half life 2 / Golden eye. and that the experience Restistance gives will simply blow you away. it is the first game i ever played which plays like a movie experience.

ofcourse buying a PS3 for it 599 usa dollars. a good tv and good sound system aint cheap. but if really want to experience next generation in VIDEO and GAMES then this game is a very good start

oh yeah and there is also something like Lair, which is also ok

at moment i am very busy. because tokyo game show is coming up. and lots of cool stuff will be revealed

basicly the unit we have is a a unit for playing bluray movies. that is what we use it for. it is in a demo stand and it is here at the office, playing some clips. so far we have had it on for about 12 hours non stop and no problems with it. works perfect and doesnt heat up.

also i havent played yet an actual game yet on the ps3 itself only on betakits.

also the virtua fighter stuff it looks to me it is played from the harddisk and not from the disc itself.

about Gears of War i played a demo briefly. but when i played it it felt very much like playing doom3,that is what i meant with it. and playing resistance plays very much like half life 2 / golden eye. truth to be told i played restistance much longer then gears. but it is just the difference in play.

anyway i am really busy today. i wil try to answer some more stuff in between.

about heavenly sword, i havent played a new version yet. but it plays very smooth. it basicly does what your think so you dont get frustrated on thinking which button you have to press.

ok some more answers.

about blu-ray movies. it is correct that the movies released first by sony where teribble. dont ever buy fifth element. it is terrible. however lately the quality of the blu-ray movies are getting better and improving fast.

try to watch the movie Dinosaurs from disney. it looks awesome and comes out this week in the USA. also Tears from the SUN looks great too and sounds great too.

that said most important of all is. the master used. if you have a bad looking master and you transfer it over it will look bad on any source.

just depening on your taste. but when the ps3 comes out. buy or rent a movie like ICE age 2 for bluray or Kingdom of heaven. and be amazed. the quality looks like 10 times better then dvd. ofcourse this also very much depend on your tv. because the movie sources on blu-ray are 1080P. so to take advantage of that you truelly need a Tv that can output 1080P which means 1920x1080.

problem is those tvs are right now like 4000 usa dollar. very expensive. but to be honest. the difference it makes compared to normal dvd is so huge. for me it is very hard to watch dvd. the quality is so bad compared to bluray.

ofcourse as i said before it matters about the orginal master and how much space on bluray you want to use and which encoder.

for example Warner borthers uses the microsoft developed encoder called VC-1 and it is awesome. sony wont use Vc-1 but uses MPEG-2. which is fine too for most movies you will need then 50gb discs.

then there is also AVC which is a fine encoder too. most people dont care about what encoder is used as long videoquality is good.

but i would advise everybody who is intrested to use there ps3 as a movie player. to just buy or rent a disc and see for themselfs how good it looks and how good it sounds.

beware though that older movies look less then newer movies in general.

also some movies may look out of focus or have grain. but this is more the directors choice. like for example in saving private ryan. where you have grain in the openings scene to give it more of a realistic look.

all in all i have to say honestly. a lot of people say ps3 is expensive. it totally depends on how you brake that down.

you see a Toshiba HD-DVd player cost 500 usa dollars. can you play games on it? no you cant only watch high def movies. on sony you can play for 600 usa dollars also games. then tell me what is expensive?

the PS3 might be expensive for people who only want to play games on it. but how many people only play games? dont people want to have a break when playing games and watch a movie?

i do. and i think a lot of people on here as well

well ok this is my last post of today. have to go soon.

i have actually a pic of the bootlogo from sony on my mobiel phone as background, but i dont think it would be wise to post that. i have to think about it.

about HD-DVD and bluray. it looks pretty much the same. for example warner encodes a movie for HD-DVd and then simply port it over to blu-ray.

you can pick up lethal weapon 1 on HD-DVD and bluray and it looks the same.

and to be honest i dont think it will difference that much. what will differ though is content. MGM, SONY,FOX,DISNEY are exclusive on blu-ray. while HD-DVD has only universal as exclusive.

and in Japan HD-DVD is no succes. very bad sales. so how universal wants to make money in Japan on HD i have no idea. however when PS3 is released it will be a huge succesin Japan i have no doubt. so if Universal want to make some coin in Japan. they have to release for blu ray as well.

about the PS3 progress. hell yeah! except for activision. i dont like the way how they threat the PS3 at the moment with Tony Hawk and marvel. the games arent what i call next generation. they should have created seperate teams for xbox and ps3. like Sega and EA do. That way you get the best out of both consoles.

Last edited by diunx; 09-18-2006 at 11:52 AM.
diunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
[M]egaman Ver.6
Sign 'O' The Times

Whoa whoa GoW on PS3?!
U're my private joy
[M]egaman Ver.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Seraph
>:3

Convex + Chrome + Direct Sunlight =
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

I'm really curious on how the whole HD DVD versus blu ray will turn out. Will probably be the deciding factor on if I buy a ps3 close to launch or wait at least a couple years for a price drop.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
progmetal
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
Convex + Chrome + Direct Sunlight =
Don't you bad talk beautiful American Cars with shiny chrome now, ya hear? :kill:

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

Wow, that angle makes it look MUCH wider.
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmetal
Don't you bad talk beautiful American Cars with shiny chrome now, ya hear? :kill:
cars dont look like this

On cars chrome and curves look ok, on electronics not so much.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 AM   #8
Anthrax

here's a pic of ps3 running VF5

Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 AM   #9
Joe Redifer
Olé!

So it's true... it does use electricity, not magic!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
progmetal
!

Here is a short video of the PS3 powered on. Better quality than the pictures.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6135

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Hikash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
I'm really curious on how the whole HD DVD versus blu ray will turn out. Will probably be the deciding factor on if I buy a ps3 close to launch or wait at least a couple years for a price drop.
I don't think you're going to know how the blu ray/HD DVD format war turns out anywhere near the launch of the PS3. Just a guess.
Hikash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
cars dont look like this

On cars chrome and curves look ok, on electronics not so much.
They do if you use a flash....

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #13
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

eh sony doesnt interest me with their "Bluray Player than also plays games"

movies were meant to be watched on a HUGE screen with FANTASTIC Surround sound!

not Pretty good sound and and really big TV . Also i get bored of movies fast cuz they are the same thing no matter how many time u watch it!

and my dads getting PS3 anyways intead of a bluray player i'll just get resistance and play it on his system
Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #14
Arnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikash
I don't think you're going to know how the blu ray/HD DVD format war turns out anywhere near the launch of the PS3. Just a guess.
You're right, it will probably take time before we know who will be the winner in the warring formats; however, if "in Japan HD-DVD is no success" is indeed true and the PS3 suceeds at launch, then those are indication that BR may win.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Thats a sharp looking paint job. To bad its going to be smudged and scratched to death in real life.