The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 11-04-2002, 04:55 PM   #1
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

fighting game elite

i was just wondering how many of you here are true fightng game fans? 3d and 2d alike(i personally like the 2d better than 3d) but you don't see many players like there used to be.so my question is this do you all think that 3d will ever completely push 2d out the door??? i hope not but i feel like this will eventually happen.
Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 05:23 PM   #2
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

During the SNES days, I have a lot of fighting games. Killer Instinct, Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Mortal Kombat. I stopped buying fighting games a long time ago, around the time of N64 and PSone.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:38 PM   #3
Robo Halloween
Banned

I don't think that there are people that believe that 3d is better than 2d anymore. B/c I remember this poll on F-Net about 2d against or 3d, and 2d won by a landslide.

But I like both styles, you get speed on both styles and I think that is very important in a fighting game.
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:22 PM   #4
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I still enjoy fighting games. The first fighting game that I got into was Yie Are Kung Fu, back in the day. My next fighting game I got into was Street Fighter II on the SNES and in the arcades. I was into Virtua Fighter 1 & 2 in the arcades and on the Saturn. Virtua Fighter 3 was the last fighting game I played in the arcades. The Dreamcast days had me hooked to KOF Dreammatch 99', Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2. I'm also a hardcore Atarian and have put countless hours into Kasumi Ninja(Jaguar), Street Fighter II(Atari ST), Ultra Vortek(Jaguar), Fight for Life(Jaguar) and Primal Rage(arcade and Jag CD).

Currently, Dead or Alive 3 is giving me my fighting fix. Dead or Alive 3 is just a great game.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:40 PM   #5
FumieHosokawa
changed how I judge women

Quote:
Originally posted by AtariX
I'm also a hardcore Atarian and have put countless hours into Kasumi Ninja(Jaguar), Street Fighter II(Atari ST), Ultra Vortek(Jaguar), Fight for Life(Jaguar) and Primal Rage(arcade and Jag CD).
AtariX, you bust me up! No offense, but those Jaguar games were utter crap. (I had one myself, and insist that Tempest and AvP were its only shining moments.) Especially in light of being shown up by their 16-bit--which was one-fourth the horsepower, or so the story goes--competition at the time.

So I'm highly opinionated, but Street Fighter II--through Super Turbo--is the greatest fighting game of all time. (And I'm one who deplores the shift away from the six-button scheme, as well as all these derivative characters. I'd go so far as to argue that the much-maligned EX series was as close to a return to the original as we've seen or likely ever will, since it doesn't look like Capcom can do 3-D bouncing breasts.) Come on, there are cults based around it. International tournaments like the Ryder Cup. I remember reading one of the best players in the world is some Japanese kid with agoraphobia who rarely makes public appearances, but demolishes the competition when he does.
FumieHosokawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:59 PM   #6
Twelve
Sky is gone; 12 is HERE!

OH yes. Back in New York, I had plenty of competition, but here in Switzerland, the level of skill is a wee bit low. I still haven't met anyone in this country who can beat me in Tekken 4, but as the Swiss are cultural introverts, I've probably never met them. I loooove fighting games....all the way back to Street Fighter for the Commador 64, when you had to press the button REAL hard to make a better fireball...
Strangely enough though, I can't stand Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat. I hate having to press a button to block! Leads to too many offensive battles and takes away from defense!

Old 11-05-2002, 08:54 AM   #7
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally posted by FumieHosokawa

AtariX, you bust me up! No offense, but those Jaguar games were utter crap. (I had one myself, and insist that Tempest and AvP were its only shining moments.) Especially in light of being shown up by their 16-bit--which was one-fourth the horsepower, or so the story goes--competition at the time.
No offense taken, come on, it is the Jaguar we are talking about here. I never said that those were great fighting games, just that I have put countless hours into them. I'm one of the top Kasumi Ninja masters in the world. ;) I always smoke the competition at Atari fan conventions and Jagfests. There is even a Kasumi Ninja fan club in Japan, which consits of three whole members(I think these three also make up the Japanese Atari Jaguar fan club).

http://jaguar.holyoak.com/jagfest/jf.../MVC-003F2.jpg
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 02:01 PM   #8
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

I've a preference for 2d fighters. I've been playing them since the days of the NES (Karate Kid Anyways, 3d is becoming more mainstream but I think companies will stick around that will bring gamers the occasional 2d fighting fix. Sort of like Sammy's Guilty Gear series. Until Capcom finally makes a Street Fighter 4 or CvS3 or MvC3, Sammy's GG will have to tide over many folks that prefer 2d.