The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 11-01-2002, 03:48 AM   #1
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

A New Nintendo Console in the works -- Confirmed by Nintendo

Quote:
PGCN:
Nintendo is in the software business - to stay. Nintendo is in the handheld business - to stay. And Nintendo is most certainly in the home console business - to stay. Work is well underway on the successor technology to both Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube.
-Whole Article.

Your Thoughts?

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 04:05 AM   #2
baratus
Elite Bouncer

What rascals! Didn't they said the GameCube was their last console?
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:09 AM   #3
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

+__Overlord___/ __/ _/

That was only a rumor since they said they will be more concerned with Software. Nothing was ever confirmed of the like.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:43 AM   #4
Mav3r1ck

They never announced or released information stating that the Gamecube would be its last console, I couldn't see Nintendo backing out anytime soon. I'm not surprised to see them working on its next console so soon, in fact I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Good thing it's not going to be released for a while, cause I don't feel like paying for another console at the moment.
Mav3r1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:15 PM   #5
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

AARgh.. I'm not saying it...
Old 11-01-2002, 08:19 PM   #6
DBJAY

Don't count on GC lifespans!
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:49 PM   #7
xXx Beaver xXx
OL's Personal \|/|-|0R3

yeh

I guess so, that controller is so cheap!

- Triple X Beaver
Old 11-01-2002, 10:27 PM   #8
Cobi*
renegade

i'm really anxious to see what their console would be like. nintendo always says things like, "we're different from the other two" so i'm curious to know what route they are gonna take. the game central route like with the gamecube or if they will follow the others in their not-quite-a-set-top-box and online route.

oh, and that successor to the gba better not be cart based. come on nintendo, it's time to give up the dream of a cartridge future.
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
DBJAY

If GBA can do SuperNes graphics, will GBA2 be doing N64 or even DC level? The mind boggles.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:41 PM   #10
FumieHosokawa
changed how I judge women

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY
Don't count on GC lifespans!
I sure hope this is meant as a tongue-IN-cheek remark, because of the three major players, Nintendo is the last to announce/reveal/hint at a console to replace their existing one. And assuming they're not in the running to release theirs first--which, at this point, only Microsoft seems hell-bent on (see also discussion at http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/s...&threadid=1853)--that would mean our Xbox may claim title to the shortest lifespan.

...(1) Newest entrant to console business, (2) smallest userbase, (3) shortest lifespan. Not a terribly convincing way to enter Round 2. Let's hope (0) biggest coffer can sustain them.
FumieHosokawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:03 PM   #11
DBJAY

Well, I think the discussion about lifespans of consoles is ultimately flawed. Sales for consoles soar as they drop in price as the years roll on, so a "lifespan" for any console will vary depending on when the consumer bought it. There will be people who will buy a PS2 in 2005, and then in 2006, the PS3 hits. Does that mean that the PS2 has a one year lifespan?

The only consumers who will actually enjoy a full run of a console lifespan are the early adopters. So buy in 2000, get 6 years, buy in 2001, get 5....in 2002, get 4...etc. There is every possibility that the "old" console will receive new software, but the majority of the developer's money will be poured into the newer consoles.

So I have a 5 yr. PS2 lifespan to look forward to, and a 4-5yr., Xbox lifespan (depending on the 06 or 05 launch).
Old 11-01-2002, 11:15 PM   #12
Cobi*
renegade

Quote:
Well, I think the discussion about lifespans of consoles is ultimately flawed. Sales for consoles soar as they drop in price as the years roll on, so a "lifespan" for any console will vary depending on when the consumer bought it. There will be people who will buy a PS2 in 2005, and then in 2006, the PS3 hits. Does that mean that the PS2 has a one year lifespan?

The only consumers who will actually enjoy a full run of a console lifespan are the early adopters. So buy in 2000, get 6 years, buy in 2001, get 5....in 2002, get 4...etc. There is every possibility that the "old" console will receive new software, but the majority of the developer's money will be poured into the newer consoles.

So I have a 5 yr. PS2 lifespan to look forward to, and a 4-5yr., Xbox lifespan (depending on the 06 or 05 launch).
i see your point, but i think you missed the point fummie had. in the end, if all goes as it seems it will, xbox will have the shortest life span.
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:21 PM   #13
FumieHosokawa

There's one thing you're overlooking, DBJAY, in your reasoning that a console lasts only as long as a consumer owns it: that lifespan can also be measured by developer support. The late PS2 adopter in 2005 has a library of five years behind it to draw upon, not one left. Remember, too, that programming techniques improve with time, so the longer a system's out there, not only will the games get better, but also the ideas behind it. Had the PlayStation not been around long enough, I doubt something as interesting as Vib-Ribbon would've been dreamt up for it. (Why I despise the hardware arms race that's so endemic to PC gamers... and, alas, converging upon consoles.) All these machines have, I'm betting, far more potential than are squeezed from them; I mean, look what they're still doing for Atari 2600--Doom?!
Old 11-01-2002, 11:54 PM   #14
DBJAY

After the PS2 launched, I saw no major Psone games released that made me look back for release in the US. Ditto with the SuperNes to the N64. Some developers hang in there, especially with the PSone in Japan, but the software noticeably slows down.

If launch of new consoles is in 2006 - then the difference in the lifespan (or if you will, difference in time of product launches) of the Xbox and GC vs. PS2 is one year.

If you define lifespan as product available for purchase, then the Psone is 7 yrs. going, GB was over 10 yrs., and there is no way to know how long Xbox or GC or GC will stay in the marketplace, so premature to discuss "short" lifespans at this point using this definition.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:16 AM   #15
FumieHosokawa

Quote:
After the PS2 launched, I saw no major Psone games released that made me look back for release in the US. Ditto with the SuperNes to the N64 [...] If you define lifespan as product available for purchase, then the Psone is 7 yrs. going, GB was over 10 yrs., and there is no way to know how long Xbox or GC or GC will stay in the marketplace, so premature to discuss "short" lifespans at this point using this definition.
Actually, no, I said available for development, not purchase. Both are factors that determine viability, of course. (And, incidentally, Final Fantasy IX came out after the PS2 launch, here and in Japan.) But wait a minute, if you finished by saying it's premature to discuss lifespans, how does that match what you did earlier (as quoted) that support for the older system drops off after the release of the newest one? Won't the Xbox 2 or PS3, by your observation, pretty much mean the end of their predecessors?