The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Reggie talks Wii online, marketing

Quote:
Nintendo of America's president and COO, Reggie Fils-Aime, has won over diehard Nintendo fans ever since his spirited speech at 2004's E3. As the company gears up for the launch of the Wii, the Nintendo faithful's hopes hang on the man's every word.

Fils-Aime recently spoke with USA Today about the console, its launch, and Nintendo's strategy going forward. Though little new was revealed, his words maintain that Nintendo is staying its course.

After a brief spiel very familiar to gamers that the company is trying to rope in "nongamers" to expand the market, Reggie chatted about online play, which many believe Nintendo is catching up on.

"We view online gaming as essentially an enhanced way to enjoy the gaming experience and drive more sales of hardware and software," he said.

Fils-Aime also moved to quash any lingering doubts as to whether first-title online gameplay for the Wii would be free. "We will offer online-enabled games that the consumers will not have to pay a subscription fee for. They'll be able to enjoy that right out of the box. The Wii console is going to be Wi-Fi enabled, so essentially, you'll be able to plug it in and go. It won't have hidden fees or costs," he told the paper.

It should be noted, however, that Nintendo has not officially announced any pricing for its online service, other than that connecting to WiiConnect24 will be free. As for paying for online gaming on the Wii, ? la Microsoft's Xbox Live service, Fils-Aime's comments seem to imply that the feature will also be gratis.

Fils-Aime also fed rumor flames that the Wii will undergo a major tour that will let gamers personally try out the Wii--in keeping with the console's E3 motto that "playing is believing."

While talking about the marketing plan for what could be the company's biggest product launch, he said, "It's going to be massive amounts of hands-on activity, as well as showcasing exactly how Wii games are different. We're going to create advocacy. We're going to make it so that everyone who tries the Wii experience talks to their friends and neighbors."

While other Nintendo execs have shied away from the idea that the Wii is directly going up against the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Fils-Aime acknowledges that Sony and Microsoft are competitors. However, he does admit that Nintendo is doing something different.

"Our competitors are both going down the same path. Both believe that more and more performance with a higher and higher price tag are their keys to success. So what do I see? I think our two competitors will trade share between them, while we go off and grab share in a completely different way."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155863.html

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Same old same old. I'm ready to play the damn thing.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
Same old same old. I'm ready to play the damn thing.
Seriously. **** marketing Nintendo. Let us play games.

I seriously doubt Nintendo's ability to rope in new gamers. I can see new gamers getting into a Wii, but I can't imagine it'll impact sales. I doubt someone who doesn't play games will suddenly be charmed by the Wii enough to warrant them purchasing one.

A mom getting excited to play her son's Wii once in awhile, yes. (God I laughed so hard typing that sentence)
An aunt purchasing a Wii for herself after playing her nephew's Wii, no (Haha)

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #4
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Quote:
Seriously. **** marketing Nintendo. Let us play games.
That would be stupid and suicidal. They need to aggressively market the Wii to the general public.
Quote:
I seriously doubt Nintendo's ability to rope in new gamers. I can see new gamers getting into a Wii, but I can't imagine it'll impact sales. I doubt someone who doesn't play games will suddenly be charmed by the Wii enough to warrant them purchasing one.
Wait 'till the release of Animal Crossing, Brain Training, Diet Training, Aerobics Training, Kareoke, Iron Chef, Nintendogs, etc. for Wii. You think Zelda/MP will propel sales? Their sales will pale in comparison to games like Wii Sports.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

my aunt and sister want one after seeing the controller
Old 08-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfkanep
That would be stupid and suicidal. They need to aggressively market the Wii to the general public.
Shut the **** up! That is the most retarded comment I've heard today. Letting people PLAY out games is suicidal. They must only READ of it. USA Today is not goin to sell Wiis to the general public, playing the fuckin' console will. A minute number of people, who has no preinvested inerest in purchasing a Wii, are now going to buy one. That is bloody stupid. They are going to buy one AFTER they play it.

I swear, you fanboys....

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Old 08-17-2006, 02:34 AM   #7
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior

A mom getting excited to play her son's Wii once in awhile, yes. (God I laughed so hard typing that sentence)
An aunt purchasing a Wii for herself after playing her nephew's Wii, no (Haha)
WRONG dude ...

that is what is happening in the UK mate .. mothers etc wanting to play on Wii..

my wife does not like video games .. But now she cannot put the DS down and is chomping at the bit for Wii.

the same is happen to other parents we know with kids ... the mother and fathers all want toplay ..

Reggie is actually right here from what i can see .. the same thing that happen with the DS is starting to happen with Wii .. people who do not usually play games are VERY intersted .. and many who never played games that have DS's ARE going to be geting a Wii ..

nearly every mother / female myself and my wife know that have DS (and there are MANY of them) all intend to get a Wii not just for their kids but for themselves .. and the majority of them are not interested in 360 or P3.. and none of them liked games before they play DS ...

sounds like new market for home systems to me mate ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:41 AM   #8
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
nearly every mother / female myself and my wife know that have DS (and there are MANY of them) all intend to get a Wii not just for their kids but for themselves ..
See, this is why I know you know jack ****. Because according this example, Nintendo has not sold any more consoles than it initially would have. The kid would have gotten one, the parent's are just free-riders. No extra profit to Nintendo.

You were going to buy a Wii. Nintendo does not see a penny more because your wife is also playing with your wii. (Also a funny sentence)

By the way, 90% of the females/women I know don't give a **** about the Wii. So my anecdotal evidence negates your anecdotal evidence.

Games I'm hyped for
Old 08-17-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
darren
... lol

Quote:
See, this is why I know you know jack ****. Because according this example, Nintendo has not sold any more consoles than it initially would have. The kid would have gotten one, the parent's are just free-riders. No extra profit to Nintendo.

You were going to buy a Wii. Nintendo does not see a penny more because your wife is also playing with your wii. (Also a funny sentence)

By the way, 90% of the females/women I know don't give a **** about the Wii. So my anecdotal evidence negates your anecdotal evidence.
mate not all females i know with DS i know have kids mate ... its probebly 50/50 and most with out kids plan to get a Wii as well ... dude u are at college yeah .. when i was at uni .. no female were into gaming ... so i'm not surprised none female u know are interested .. they probevbly have better things to do with their time like studying and enjoying life ...

dude we obviously belive different thing about how Wii will sell; personally i think it will see a "DS effect" ..

you do not ..

tell you what rather than ou putting people down about it . why not keep your F**King gob SHUT and wait and see .. then you can say sorry afterwards .. if wrong i will happily say i was wrong .. but i doubt you have the balls to do the same dude.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 08-17-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:54 AM   #10
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316
mate not all females i know with DS i know have kids mate ... its probebly 50/50 and most with out kids plan to get a Wii as well ... dude u are at college yeah .. when i was at uni .. no female were into gaming ... so i'm not surprised none female u know are interested

dude we obviously belive different thing about how Wii will sell; personally i think it will see a "DS effect" ..

you do not ..

tell you what rather than ou putting people down about it . why not keep your F**King gob SHUT and wait and see .. then you can say sorry afterwards .. if wrong i will happily say i was wrong .. but i doubt you have the balls to do the same dude.
Your reasons are on personal anecdotes. I base mine on logic. I'll accept your white flag like the cur you are.

Games I'm hyped for
Old 08-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #11
darren
... lol

Quote:
Your reasons are on personal anecdotes. I base mine on logic. I'll accept your white flag like the cur you are.
mate my reasons are based on facts ... all i'm saying is that reggie might me right as mother we know who have kids want toplay Wii ..most of their kids have P2 or xbox at the moment .. and will soon have Wii and not a 360 or a P3 .. coz the parents want to play Wii .. that means market gain for Nin and a loss for Sony and MS.. FACT ...

if that happens outside of the people I know around the globe then reggie will be right won't he?

and yes . i accept you white flag to untill the sales figures start to come in ..

and i will get my wife to bake you some humble pie to eat in 6 months time .. :bigsmile: .. i make sure its a big one as u will need to eat a lot .. plus u might be hungry being a student .. ;)
Old 08-17-2006, 03:09 AM   #12
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

More anecdotes. (Sigh) Your wife can cook for me anytime! I'm sure she loves the idea of you pawning her off to a college kid over some bet you made over the internets!

Games I'm hyped for
Old 08-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #13
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Quote:
USA Today is not goin to sell Wiis to the general public, playing the fuckin' console will.
Marketing does not only mean the print media. If Nintendo only use so-called "expert gaming" media to announce their product, it will have minimal impact. We all know what most of them and their followers think about the Wii. Using media not normally associated with gaming, you can get ppl interested in your product.
Quote:
They are going to buy one AFTER they play it. I swear, you fanboys....
Without marketing the thing, there is no way in hell ppl will have an interest in the thing to even consider to try it out.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #14
Nephlabobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316
nearly every mother / female myself and my wife know that have DS (and there are MANY of them) all intend to get a Wii not just for their kids but for themselves .. and the majority of them are not interested in 360 or P3.. and none of them liked games before they play DS ...

sounds like new market for home systems to me mate ..
So Nintendo products are, literally, for pussies.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #15
Alucard

While you gave me a little bit of a laugh Neph, that was a bit too much I'm afraid. We need to revert back to the age old theory of if we dont really have anything nice to say, then walk the other way. And you've been heckling poor darren a little lately. Giving you 2 days to go play some games on a GC. Be nice, and you will have nice things happen to you.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote