The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 08-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Alucard

Greatest British Comedies of all Time

My childhood was full of awesome shows. These shows me what I am today. A freeloading loafe--...uh...An upstanding PILLAR of society. I would like to dedicate MY CHILDHOOD to these 3 series that defined my upbringing and my current sense of humour.

Monty Pythons Flying Circus

Perhaps one of the greatest tv shows ever created. The series was ahead of its time in terms of comedy, as it was doing things noone else dared to do at that time. BOOBIES on tv? No sex please, we're british! ... This show had me in tears everytime I watched it. So many legendary songs, so many legendary skits, so much legendariness it just overflowed. Some of my most favourite people in the entertainment sector came primarily from here. My ultra favourite being John Cleese. But oh so many other legends such as Eric Idle, Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam who still brings us awesome films to this day.

They made a few movies aswell, one of the greatest ever being The Holy Grail. You'll be hard pressed to find anything so glorious as the Knights of Ni. Obviously as I am hardcore, I own the entire Monty Python dvd series. Its a treasure to me, and I WILL kill you if you try to take it away. More info at wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python

Fawlty Towers

Aaahhh Fawlty Towers. An Inn run by some colourful characters. John Cleese returns in his star series. It went from 1975-1979. If I recall correctly Cleese decided to stop at that final season as he didnt want the show to go stale. While it made alot of the fans cry in agony at never seeing anymore again, the ones that were out were just pure gold. DONT MENTION THE WAR!!! And who can forget the lovable Manuel played by the comedic genius of Andrew Sachs. Loved the show to death. Epic. Epic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers

The Goodies

And now comes my final glittering memory of days gone. The Goodies was an absolutely brilliant series. Bout 3 guys who ran an agency and had people come in and ask them to do various jobs for them. Ran for a good 8-9 seasons or something. One cool thing about the Goodies cast was they were also friends with the Monty Python crew, and even went to the same university if I recall correctly. I had the absolute PLEASURE of finally seeing the Goodies LIVE on stage about a year ago when they visited Melbourne. It was beyond awesome. Everyone even sang the Funky Gibbon song. My only regret is I didnt get to speak to them in person. But I was 4 rows back! Fanboy squeel HOOOO!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goodies

All these shows can be bought on dvd or YAR HAR off torrent sites. If you've seen 1 or 2 of them and not a third, you bloody well go find them. You go find them NOW! Oh...oh my childhood. I really should of written much MUCH more on these shows. But no matter how many words I use, it still wouldnt convey anywhere NEAR the amount of awesomeness that came from them.

Alucards memory scale - GOLD award for each of them.

Last edited by Alucard; 08-16-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Nindalf

Monty Python is great, but I guess you have to be in a British colony to know the other two.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
welshfreak
: )

1. I demand you turn "English" to British, as there was involvment from Welsh, Scotish and Irish talents in all of those. (For example, Monty Pythons' Terry Jones is Welsh.)

2. Also added to the list of British Comedies are....

Only Fools and Horses, fantastic show, although due to Britishness, I doubt it gets shown outside of Britain.

One of the funniest episodes, when Del Boy and Rodney go to a party dressed as Batman and Robin, only to discover the party thrower had died and it was his funeral the next day. Which provokes extreme laughter from the audience, me included. They are very well done episodes, I recomend that everyone at least gives them a go.

OK, not "classic" in a sense, but The Office needs a place here. I know there is arguement between which version is better (UK vs US) but in my mind, although both excellent, the UK version just snatches the award.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Alucard

Oh fine you big girl, BRITISH it is!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
welshfreak

Do they actually show Only Fools and Horses outside the UK? Ever on down under?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Alucard

LOVELY JUBBLY!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
welshfreak

Also, about Fawlty Towers, yeah, the reason he stopped after one season was to "preserve" the series in it's legendary state. I wish they had done more, but I have warm memories of John Cleese goose stepping across the hotel floor when the Germans come to visit.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Pantymon
Gotta get em all

Yes, we got only Fools n Horses in Oz, and it was hilarious. I was a bit young at the time when they showed it to get it, but my folks loved it.

But any thread which praises British comedy and includes the Office yet fails to contain Black Adder fails! Black Adder would have to rank third for me, behind Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. I loved the Goodies, but it hasn't aged as well as the others. Honorable mentions should go to Yes Minister, Allo Allo and the Young Ones.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
welshfreak

BEST moments of fawlty towers

Nazi Goose step- 10/10
Fawlty takes on the Americans!
Part 2 of Fawlty taking on the Americans

Watch these videos, I'm talking sidespliting.

Last edited by welshfreak; 08-16-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
Alucard

Black Adder is super legendary, but it was made much much later then the others. I still hold Goodies above it. Fawlty Towers went for 2 seasons btw

Subtle plans are here to stay!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
UniGamer
The Fanboy Bully

As well as the shows you've listed, i also watched and loved these:

Mind your language
The League of gentlemen
The Fast show
Harry Enfield and Chums
Some Mothers do ?Ave 'Em
Allo Allo
Men Behaving Badly
Keeping up Appearances
Red Dwarf

There?s too many to list Fawlty Towers, Some Mothers do ?Ave ?Em & Fawlty Towers are my fave

BBC Comedy Guide New & Old Series
Old 08-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
murray
<insert witty motto>

What about The Young Ones, one of my favs.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
Nindalf

Black Adder was so awesome.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #14
Alexander
I speak with codes.

My friends like Coupling but I don't think it's so great.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
Seraph
>:3

You all make me sick.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote