Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 07-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Slash
BUTTOUT!

Sega bash 3rd praties.

http://wii.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=7197

SEGA Criticizes Third Parties July 21, 2006

by: Phillip Levin

The company says other companies are unimaginative when dealing with Wii.

When talking to Next-Gen.biz this week, SEGA vice president Scott Steinberg criticized third-party developers and publishers for not taking full advantage of Wii and failing to be imaginative.

Steinberg says that SEGA has been "on the Wii bandwagon from day one.? The company plans to release Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz alongside Wii?s launch and Sonic Wild Fire early in 2007. Meanwhile, other companies were slow to hop on the Wii bandwagon.

"The pundits are missing the point when it comes to the Wii's strategy - not every third party is late to the launch,? he says.

"It's true that a lot of third parties have been flat footed when it comes to having games ready for the launch window, but Sega is certainly not one of them."

Even developers onboard with Wii, though, Steinberg says are unimaginative. "Some third parties have shown a lack of imagination when dealing with this new platform. The way the Wii is being built you have to design for it. Ports and upgrades are no good. That thinking takes a little bit of creativity and not every publisher has the necessary creative people available."

While some third parties would say that it?s because of Nintendo?s back track record for dealing with third parties, Steinberg disagrees. "I can say without any hesitation that we have a great relationship with Nintendo. The American companies don't do a good enough job of wooing Nintendo.

"Sega has become a lot closer to Nintendo, which is ironic given the history of the two companies, but that proximity has given us a great view of how they wanted to get out of the polygon race and stop battling the technology companies and instead find a very comfortable position in family-friendly fun games like Super Monkey Ball."

SEGA had playable versions of both Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz and Sonic Wild Fire at E3. ?We had a Wii room for journalists and analysts and it was the best way to try playable Wii games without getting in the colossal Nintendo line,? Steinberg says. ?Those games are built purposely for Wii, That's what makes the Sega story unique - we have family-friendly games with a great Nintendo pedigree - we are one of the few companies that can say we had a great run with GameCube."

Steinberg continues: "We are all heavily influenced by the propaganda machines of the hardware companies and you could argue that Nintendo didn't kick into gear until E3 2006, when they seemed to go from zero to 60 in one day. They were being beaten up by pundits one day and lauded the next. The industry realized they had been ignoring Nintendo which was a massive error."

He thinks that some companies were too quick to compare Wii to GameCube and current-gen consoles. "If you were applying a GameCube to Xbox to PS2 ratio to Wii, then you might have ignored Wii," he says. "But Nintendo's core competency is creating games and they have a platform here that allows publishers and developers to get creative in ways that are different from the other platforms. It's a real sea change."

Steinberg believes that Nintendo could ?really close the gap in a big way? on Sony in the next-gen consoles wars. "There is a feature creep going on in the platform wars so it's refreshing to see someone do something different. It's refreshing to see someone take themselves out and operate in a different paradigm."

source: Next-Gen.b
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Let's hope the rest of SEGA agrees with him and bothers doing something worthwhile...
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Big talk. But I seen nothing in Wildfire that be to brag about. From what I can tell, it doesn't require any special controls to operate the game.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
BGM

"Ports are no good" doesn't sound good for Wii in the long run!
BGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
SuperAngelo64
Sands

I think someone needs to take a page from the book of Shiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeru Miyamoto
However, I have absolutely no intention of being negative about current controllers. We are, after all, preparing a standard style controller in the form of the Classic Controller.

Multi-console and port games shouldn't be thought of as 'outlawed' entirely on the Wii.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
murray
<insert witty motto>

its a shame sega aren't being a bit more creative themselves on other platforms i mean publishing chromehounds is just exactly suprising given the japs love of mech games but itS a terrible game.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
SuperAngelo64
Sands

I think Sega needs to come out of the closet with their Nintendo crush and just become 2nd party already.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Yeah it sounds good and all, but the way sega keeps mentioning the "family-friendly fun game" thing is what i dont like..we keep getting sonic and monkeyball...great but where are the condems, the shenmues, the virtua fighters, the full autos and so on. I just hope we dont keep getting billy hatcher, sonic, monkey ball and virtua fighter quest games.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
Alucard

Shut up sega and make me damn panzer dragoon orta 2 already!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Shut up sega and make me damn Shenmue 3 already!
fixed hurhur
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
justin_credible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoftware6180
thing is what i dont like..we keep getting sonic and monkeyball...great but where are the condems.
heh I laughed out loud when I read this, even though I knew what you meant.

It just sounds too close to "it's great we keep getting kidding stuff like sonic and monkeyball but where are the condoms? So these stupid kids won't exist!"

that's how I read it anyway.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
fixed hurhur
Shenmue is the poor mans adventure game.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

make something worthwhile sega and i'll be on board.

Nintendo I want to believe.
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Shut your face. I know perfectly well you've never played Shenmue, because you suck. That kind of awesomeness would be too much for you to handle.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #15
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard
Shenmue wan't a poor mans adventure game. That game to me was way ahead of its time its been in the works since the saturn. Its kind of funny when I used to see people bash the hell out of this game for its qte and its wide scope of level design but, what tickles me is when games like GTA come out basically with the same exact concept and it got all the credit for being open ended. Or when GodOW/RE4 etc.... came out with their qte-esque scenes they got all the praise in the world and nobody gave credit to where it was due. Shenmue. So I disagree with your statement.

Wow you pissed me off. Damnit.
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote