The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

Moore hints at plans for new Xbox 360 controller

"We've got to bring more people in," says MS exec

Xbox boss Peter Moore has hinted that Microsoft could be working on a simplified game controller designed to attract new gamers who might be intimidated by traditional joypads.

At a recent EA Community Event, Moore said the company is looking at "Any way that we can play and make games easier and more intuitive, that takes the intimidation factor away from what is a pretty complex device now when you look at the controller."

"Shoulder buttons, triggers, analog sticks, d-pads - I mean, there's a lot going on there."

Compare it to the old Atari 2600 joystick, Moore suggested - which "Everybody could pick up and have some fun with. Clearly I think the Wii is trying to get back to those days, although when I picked it up I was surprised how much stuff is on there, and it took me a little while even then to get going on those things."

But, as he's previously stated many times, Moore is a big fan of the Wii - and, he added, of "any innovation you can try and do that will make it a broader reach for games, because as an industry we've got to do that - we've got to bring more people in."

Moore went on to explain that his 14 year-old daughter loves racing games, particularly Project Gotham Racing, but "She's frustrated because the button configurations, the use of triggers... She just doesn't like it".

So is Microsoft looking for a solution to the problem of overly-complex controllers? Well, "We're doing a lot of stuff there," Moore said - but "Nothing that we're ready to talk about".

He went on to say that Microsoft is "not going to force anything that is not going to be intuitive and innovative" - which could suggest that the company is unlikely to follow in Sony and Nintendo's footsteps by producing a motion-sensing controller.
source:Gameindustry.biz
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I presonally don't care unless this controller is going to introduce a new way to play game not just dumb down the controller so it doesn't scare people.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Already a thread for this.

And THAT thread was taken out of context.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote