The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 10-19-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Post XBox beating up the GameCube.

Though Xbox and GameCube launched nearly simultaneously in the US, Microsoft's hardware quickly jumped to a small sales lead over Nintendo's due in large to strong reception of the exclusive shooter Halo. Since that time the Xbox has stayed in the front, though the Big N has made some commendable attempts to lessen the gap. Perhaps Nintendo's biggest shot at picking up market share came last month with the release of Super Mario Sunshine. The flagship mascot game, highly anticipated and critically acclaimed, went on to sell more than 350,000 units during its first week of release in America.
Which brings us into September, a surprisingly strong month for Nintendo as a software company. Three of the company's first-party offerings made the Top 10 best-selling games of the month list, according to various tracking services. No Xbox software, meanwhile, managed that feat. And yet, oddly enough, Microsoft's hardware still outsold GameCube for the month, albeit just barely.
GameCube hardware sales in September totaled nearly 168,000 units. Xbox sold 175,000 pieces. That brings life-to-date sales of GCN in the US up to 2.3 million versus 2.8 million Xbox sales. Sony's unstoppable giant PlayStation 2, meanwhile, crushed figures of both systems in September, selling an additional 500,000 pieces of hardware. More than 11.3 million PS2s have sold in America since the console launched.
The number-one selling game in September was Electronic Arts Madden NFL 2003 for PS2 with nearly 375,000 units, according to data. Square's Kingdom Hearts ranked second with 345,000 pieces. Super Mario Sunshine sold an additional 266,000 units for a total sell-through of 616,000 pieces since its launch in late August. Strong sales of SOCOM and Tekken 4 were rounded out by a surprisingly solid showing of Star Fox Adventures, which sold 170,000 units in September. Animal Crossing also managed to sell more than 100,000 pieces during the month.
Also interesting were sales of Acclaim's first-person shooter Turok Evolution across all three platforms. Despite the fact that the franchise was launched on a Nintendo platform, it performed weakest on GameCube with a mere 35,000 estimated units sold. Both Xbox and PS2 averaged sales of 65,000 units.

from IGN.
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 01:24 PM   #2
Alucard

I hardly think 7000 units is beating it up. But its America. XBox SHOULD be doing better or theres something wrong. Check the latest stats in Japan. GC is pumelling XBox.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
Nindalf

There?s 500K difference in total sales but this year alone GC sold atleast 600K more than Xbox in Japan and GC sold over 1 million in europe since it?s launch(5/3) and i heard Xbox hasent reach million yet so in total sales Gamecube is beating up the Xbox
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
metroidman

their sowftware selling pretty good though.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:06 PM   #5
vanDestroy
Fetus X

Sony still has it's advantage over both as it plays Audio CDs, DVDs, PS2 & PS games and ofcourse it's predecessor's reputation! I personally went for the PS2 as my first next-gen console as it came out early w/ the above features.

The Xbox is practically free now w/ the new Microsoft-Sega bundle... The console + Sega GT 2002 + Jet Set Future radio blah all that for a lousy $200 (not forgetting that the Xbox has a built in HD & Modem)

I'm buying a GC next though... my heart lies w/ Nintendo. ZELDA!!
vanDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 07:06 PM   #6
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Quote:
Originally posted by NiN
There?s 500K difference in total sales but this year alone GC sold atleast 600K more than Xbox in Japan and GC sold over 1 million in europe since it?s launch(5/3) and i heard Xbox hasent reach million yet so in total sales Gamecube is beating up the Xbox
600K this year. GameCube has sold more than 2 millions in Japan, meaning its atleast 1.8 millions ahead.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:10 PM   #7
vanDestroy
Fetus X

Even if Xbox is creaming Nintendo... the GC still lies on top. I think the GC is going to outsell the Xbox w/ the release of Zelda, Metroid and the Mario sports series. It's all a matter of time :big smile not to mention that the Japanese Xbox sales blow!
Old 10-20-2002, 02:43 AM   #8
blueskied

The Xbox is horribly unpopular here in Japan. Believe me, retailers can't GIVE xbox systems and games away. It's sorta surreal: you walk into a Toys R Us here in Japan, and there are lots of gamers all around the PS2 and Gamecube areas, then there's a big Xbox area up front which is totally absent of any human beings. Japanese gamers just don't seem interested at all, which is sorta strange but it's true. I know a bunch of gamers here, and they all tell me they have either 1)a PS2, 2)a Gamecube, or 3)both. I have yet to meet anyone here with an Xbox, and I've been living here over 2 months.

If a system isn't popular in Japan, that spells its doom. If Xbox hardware sales don't pick up soon, big Japanese developers will stop making games for it (Sega, Capcom, etc--and Konami already has stopped publishing Xbox games in Japan!).

cheers!
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 03:35 AM   #9
Mohtools

ya i heard that metal gear sub. will not be released on the xbox cuz the xbox sales are so bad in Japan. HEHEHE! thats cool!

Microsoft should leave the business. :cool guy:
Mohtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 09:15 AM   #10
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Glad to hear the GC is doing well there I was starting to think Nintendo was loosing it with the japanese public. Poor Xbox, from now on I'll star praying often for they future success on the japanese videogame market.
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #11
blueskied

Yeah The GC is doing well in Japan, I think. But when Zelda hits in two months, the hardware sales are really going to skyrocket. I know a bunch of gamers who haven't bought a GC yet, but they have told me they will buy one in December just to play Zelda. At the moment, Zelda is the most wanted game in Japan, among all gamers (PS2 included). I just saw a new promo DVD for Zelda and it looks so fantastic now, I was totally blown away. It literally looks like you're inside some wonderful cartoon, but at the same time it captures the feel of classic Zelda perfectly. The music and sound effects are great as well. It reminds me a lot of the first 2 Zeldas on the NES actually. It's really way better than I ever dreamed it would be. When you see the big fire-gargoyle boss in motion and you throw your grapple hook on one of its horns and swing through the air, you'll think you died and went to heaven--the animation and effects are better than even the finest Disney filmwork.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:44 AM   #12
blueskied

Just to add, there's also a super cool scene on the Zelda promotional DVD that shows Link in a barrel on a ship, and the numbers "3, 2, 1" countdown, then he's rocketed into the air. Anyway, it's really awesome, you just have to see it.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:50 AM   #13
Nindalf

Yeah...i cant wait to get this game...Has anyone seen Zelda video in Nintendo.com? man its awesome!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 10:58 AM   #14
vanDestroy
Fetus X

I finished A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask. I can't wait for the next game in the series, especially after watching the trailer. I really dig the new move they included, you know the spin move! Konji Kondo is also making the soundtrack! Did they name it yet?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:37 AM   #15
blueskied

Yeah the videos on Nintendo.com are from E3 way back in May. The promo DVD I have of it is a build of the game from September, and it looks even better now! Miyamoto goes on to say that he'll be working on it all the way up to December adding stuff and improving graphical touches to make sure the game is *perfect*. Woo-hoo!