Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 05-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

Miyamoto calls Sony's DualShake "flattering"

Miyamoto calls Sony's DualShake "flattering"

Posted May 22nd 2006 3:25PM by Ross Miller
Filed under: Nintendo Wii, Sony PlayStation 3
It's the popular question to pose to a Nintendo employee: "did Sony copy you?" On Friday, Nintendo UK's David Yarnton said yes. Today, legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto concurred -- but without Yarnton's hosility. In fact, Miyamoto considers it "flattering; it kind of reinforces in our minds that we're doing the right thing."

Miyamoto further goes on to note that Sony's motion-sensor controller is "similar to what we did back on the Game Boy Color many years ago," and shows no concern for Sony's last-minute addition. Sony's DualShake controller implements its motion-sensing technology differently than the Wiimote: while the latter monitors motion relative to a TV sensor, the former determines movement relative to itself (a more apt comparison, then, might be the accelerometer found in the Wiimote's nunchuk attachment).

The defense we have seen from Sony supporters is that Sony has researched and patented motion-sensing technology from as far back as 1999. The patent applies to all of Sony's divisions, and although gaming could have been specifically in mind, the inclusion (and its timeliness) does appear to be a knee-jerk reaction to the Wiimote's capabilities. But if Nintendo does not care, who are we to complain for the company's sake?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Seraph
>:3

Props to nintendo for this whole shibang.

they have been copied, but instead of trying to slam sony for it, they just kinda chuckle and continue to pump out fun-ness. <-- (its a word, look it up.)
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
DEXTERITY

posted already in the Nintendo said it thread...
DEXTERITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Well Man
Y'all are brutalizing me

It seems like he is just being a nice guy as always.

Personally... I don't think I could do that because it played out exactly as Miyamoto and Iwata said it would.

They brought something new to the table and they were copied.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
questworld

For me, it's not so much that they were copied or followed, it's because many Nintendo bashers would usually claim it "kiddy" or "gimmicky" when Nintendo tried it or improved upon the concept (i.e. touch screen or tilt sensors, though around for a while, were never really taken advantaged of). And now of course it's all about Nintendo not inventing them as if they never improved their use in gaming and that they're being downplayed again and are "not really innovative." I really hate that. I've experienced similar things in the past where I do a lot of work on group projects but other members wait so long to do their part up until the project is due an everyone is doing it in the last minute. Then of course I'm either part of the group that raised the slacker's grade or I'm going down with the ship.

Nintendo did a lot for the industry and it wouldn't matter if joysticks were already in airplanes since aviation history or that rumble was around since earthquakes, give credit where credit is due. This whole grab for land in fanboy land really is getting out of hand. If they're not going for pole position on who used what innovation or what color first on what console, they're going for which console had what game series first.
questworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Well, he did say back when the Wii controller was first shown that the reason they waited to show it was because they were concerned that their ideas would be stolen. It looks as though their concern was well warranted. Now, the only question is when MS will copy them.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
SuperAngelo64
Hourglass

This isn't saying much, the only time I've seen Miyamoto pissed is when that guy asked him to sign his PsP at a DS signing.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote