The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 04-28-2002, 05:28 PM   #1
Dog

What KILLER game would convince you to buy an XBOX?

DOA3 was enough for some but not all. What game would make you 'defect' ?

I suppose I'd buy one if it just didn't look like a big black block - but maybe I'm shallow?

Discus.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
teepo

a great game.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:39 PM   #3
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by teepo
a great game.

LOL nice way to put it!
Old 04-28-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
Dog

You like all Genres?
Old 04-28-2002, 06:40 PM   #5
porcu

well, DoA3 persuaded me to get an Xbox
Old 04-28-2002, 07:00 PM   #6
Burning Shingo

A new Marathon game from Bungie.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:09 PM   #7
grahf

Judging by the system's recent and upcoming releases, I'm afraid to say that the Xbox will never win me over. It seems obvious that Xbox has no intentions of catering to the hardcore community (you know the people who read gaming news and buys more than 10 games a year, people like you and me) and are more interested in supporting the casual gamers ( the people who jumps on bandwagon and buy whatever is the trend and the sports fanatics who probably buys one new edition of NFL 200X a year). What's more dismay is, in the recent interviews, the executives of Xbox made it clear that they have no intentions of supporting RPG's, reasoning being that it won't be successful. Instead, they said they'd rather win over the sports and action fans first. Heh, and people wonder why the Japanese won't buy this American abomination.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:58 PM   #8
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

Normally i'd say Jet Set Radio Future would be enough for me to buy one if the console wouldn't cost that much.

The price tag for a X-box is a really big turn off for me right now.

I can't persuade myself to buy a console this expensive with so many mediocre games in it.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:21 AM   #9
typexig
-Drifter-

i'll buy it if they have a Final fantasy game only for Xbox and not a port from PS2..maybe they can call it Final Fantasy Xtreme..hehe..=)

-Xig-
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:24 AM   #10
porcu

don't think it will be happening to the current Xbox...
maybe on the Xbox2...
Old 04-29-2002, 01:28 AM   #11
typexig
-Drifter-

another game that will make me buy the thing called Xbox is if they get Gran Turismo..but i know it wont, cuz GT is like a first or second party for PS2. but if for some reason GT goes to the thing called Xbox, maybe they can call it Gran Turismo X..hehe..=)

-Xig-
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 10:05 AM   #12
ringlord

Quote:
A new Marathon game from Bungie.
That would be Halo, my friend. The spaceship in Halo even has the Marathon emblem on its hull.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #13
Bishamon

Quote:
Originally posted by grahf
Judging by the system's recent and upcoming releases, I'm afraid to say that the Xbox will never win me over. It seems obvious that Xbox has no intentions of catering to the hardcore community (you know the people who read gaming news and buys more than 10 games a year, people like you and me) and are more interested in supporting the casual gamers ( the people who jumps on bandwagon and buy whatever is the trend and the sports fanatics who probably buys one new edition of NFL 200X a year). What's more dismay is, in the recent interviews, the executives of Xbox made it clear that they have no intentions of supporting RPG's, reasoning being that it won't be successful. Instead, they said they'd rather win over the sports and action fans first. Heh, and people wonder why the Japanese won't buy this American abomination.
Actually, I think the problem with XBox is that it ONLY appeals to hardcore gamers. The general 'wait-and-see' gaming public may never buy one. I bought a 3D0 on its release (and sold it ;)), an Atari Jaguar on its release (and sold it), a Saturn on it's Japanese and another on its North American release, I bought a PS1 on its N.A. release, I bought a DC on its Jpn release and another on its N.A. release, I lined up to get a PS2 when it came out, and I pre-ordered an XBox before it came out. I also got a GC at Christmas, but I sold it. ;)

It's the 10+ game buying, multiple-console owning public that is buying the XBox. The PS2 is for the casual gamers (as well as the hardcore gamers who own a PS2 as well as other consoles). Most of the casual gamers (who buy one console every 4 years or so and only a few games per year) are buying a PS2 because it's the safest bet with the most mainstream games.

As a so-called 'hardcore' gamer, Halo and DoA3 were enough for me to buy an XBox, just as Virtua Fighter and the promise of Daytona USA were enough for me to buy a Saturn, and Ridge Racer V and the promise of GT3 were enough for me to get a PS2.

I think it will take a mass-market title like Final Fantasy or Resident Evil to grab the attention of the casual gamers.

Last edited by Bishamon; 04-29-2002 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:17 PM   #14
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

euuuuuuh okay, so if i understand you correctly, A hardcore gamer should buy every consoles he see without caring if those console offer good games or not ???????

I won`t even start a debate on that matter, this got to be one of the most absurd thing I ever heard.

Last edited by Black Sugar; 04-29-2002 at 03:21 PM.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 03:20 PM   #15
Bishamon

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
euuuuuuh okay, so if i understand you correctly, A hardcore gamer should buy every consoles he see without caring if those console offer good games or not ???????

I won`t even start a debate on that matter, this is one the most absurd thing I ever heard.
No, what I am saying is that for a hardcore gamer it only takes one or two great games to sell a console; the XBox had that on launch day.

Hardcore gamers usually buy new consoles upon release or shortly thereafter; casual gamers wait a year or so until there is a well established library of games.